Related... but not the same

Our TJ wouldn't be our daily driver... never, not by any means, especially with a family. The TJ is our fun weekend car!

We've got a family vehicle for the usual daily driving business.

Yea, my wife drives a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My daily driver is the TJ.

We've been racking the miles up on her jeep, and still making payments on it sadly. So it's nice to drive the TJ on the weekends, try to save the miles on hers.

Reactions: Chris
Yea, my wife drives a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My daily driver is the TJ.

We've been racking the miles up on her jeep, and still making payments on it sadly. So it's nice to drive the TJ on the weekends, try to save the miles on hers.

We've got a 2015 Subaru Outback for our family vehicle. It gets 29 mpg, so I can't complain about that. I think that only driving my TJ on weekends (and on occasion), makes the experience so much more thrilling and fun. You know, because I'll go a week without driving it, then get back in it to drive it, and it almost feels like a brand new experience to me, all over again!

Man I can't imagaine not driving my TJ everyday. But I've be driving it every day since I bought it brand new...

I'd like to just buy a 3rd vehicle, maybe a 4-door truck?, and keep the TJ for a fun weekend toy. A JKU would be awesome, but I'd feel obligated to have to install an angry grill on it, and halos.

Reactions: Bird and Chris
I'll tell you what... If you own a JKU you've either got to make a lot of money to pay for it outright, have a huge down payment, or be prepared for some insanely expensive monthly payments.

That's why I always joke about how most JKU owners don't even own their Jeeps, they're financing them and the modifications too!

Crap... a brand new JKU Rubicon is 40k plus tax! The JL will be even more expensive.

Reactions: JMT
We got my TJ as my daily for now with the intent of getting another daily driver for me once I make up my mind. It'll likely be a newer 4-door Wrangler- maybe a diesel one if those JL rumors are true!

With one kid, the TJ is okay. He's pretty giant for 2, so he hops out of his car seat really well. I think it would have been more difficult with an infant or with more than one kid as a daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll tell you what... If you own a JKU you've either got to make a lot of money to pay for it outright, have a huge down payment, or be prepared for some insanely expensive monthly payments.

That's why I always joke about how most JKU owners don't even own their Jeeps, they're financing them and the modifications too!

Crap... a brand new JKU Rubicon is 40k plus tax! The JL will be even more expensive.

Yep.

Price...
It came up, so here you go. These are PNW prices, so adjust accordingly.

Nice 1999 TJ SE, manual, no issues, new top, yada,yada,yada. Less than $8k. That was with low miles and crappy street tires.

Nice 2012 JKU Sport, automatic, perfect color, half doors, low miles, crappy tires. More than $30k.

If the place where I got the JKU would have had the right color and half doors in stock, new, it would have been a much better deal to buy new. Hands down, no questions asked. You HAVE TO REALLY WANT that JKU to pay the freight for it. I could have completely built the TJ for what this thing cost.

'Nough said on that subject.

Price...
It came up, so here you go. These are PNW prices, so adjust accordingly.

Nice 1999 TJ SE, manual, no issues, new top, yada,yada,yada. Less than $8k. That was with low miles and crappy street tires.

Nice 2012 JKU Sport, automatic, perfect color, half doors, low miles, crappy tires. More than $30k.

If the place where I got the JKU would have had the right color and half doors in stock, new, it would have been a much better deal to buy new. Hands down, no questions asked. You HAVE TO REALLY WANT that JKU to pay the freight for it. I could have completely built the TJ for what this thing cost.

'Nough said on that subject.

You forgot to mention JKU Rubicon prices :meparto:

Reactions: StG58
You forgot to mention JKU Rubicon prices :meparto:
No doubt. But, this just a comparison of my two rigs. Any sort of JKR, Unlimited or not, is just a stupid amount of money around here. 80% or more will be wore out before they see ant dirt, too. Sad fact of life. The wife wanted a 2007 (?) JKUR so bad that she could taste it. Brand new on the dealer floor. Same color, half doors and all. Just like her current JKU, but a Rubi. Started talking deal and the more we talked, the more that poor Rubi started to cost. I just walked away. The wife was a little pissed at the time. Did I tell you that there were only three new JK/U's on the dealership lot when we bought hers? The dealership was expecting another shipment in something like two weeks. JK's are very popular around here.

Last edited:
View attachment 19600
My son and several of his friends, all in their 30's, drive JKs. I have wheeled with them and driven all of their rigs. All are very capable and relatively speaking more comfortable than my TJ. I look under the hood of their Jeeps,however, and my eyes cross. One of the reasons that I choose the TJ is that I can understand and work on most of the systems on it. With the exception of the axles / re-gear / lockers, I have done the work myself (with help from the boys). For me that is the greatest strength of the older technology.

No doubt. But, this just a comparison of my two rigs. Any sort of JKR, Unlimited or not, is just a stupid amount of money around here. 80% or more will be wore out before they see ant dirt, too. Sad fact of life. The wife wanted a 2007 (?) JKUR so bad that she could taste it. Brand new on the dealer floor. Same color, half doors and all. Just like her current JKU, but a Rubi. Started talking deal and the more we talked, the more that poor Rubi started to cost. I just walked away. The wife was a little pissed at the time. Did I tell you that there were only three new JK/U's on the dealership lot when we bought hers? The dealership was expecting another shipment in something like two weeks. JK's are very popular around here.

We thought about buying a JKU Rubicon as the family vehicle, but once I found the prices I gawked! We wouldn't take it unless it was a 2012+ (we don't want that shitty minivan engine), but all of them are no less than about 35k! I said why on earth would I pay 35k for a used one, when I could pay a little under 5k more and go get a brand new one with a warranty, right? I mean if were only talking 5k, I'd just as well buy a brand new one.

Now if it was 10k less, then I could see buying it used, but 5k?

We thought about buying a JKU Rubicon as the family vehicle, but once I found the prices I gawked! We wouldn't take it unless it was a 2012+ (we don't want that shitty minivan engine), but all of them are no less than about 35k! I said why on earth would I pay 35k for a used one, when I could pay a little under 5k more and go get a brand new one with a warranty, right? I mean if were only talking 5k, I'd just as well buy a brand new one.

Exactly.

Even at 10K less, you'd have to think about finance rates on new vs used, warrenty, getting exactly what you wanted vs what's available. The prices in the PNW are irrational for a used Wrangler of almost any flavor. YJ, TJ or JK/U's. Even clapped out XJ's go for a premium. Nice ones are just stupid.

I blame the available financing. Heck, I financed the TJ before I ever picked it out. We had three really good offers to finance the JK to choose from the night we first saw it for full price. Not book value, price. That's just irresponsible lending. And it's what's driving the prices through the roof.

Luckily, we didn't finance that much on either one, but the offers were on the table.

Oh, the offered interest rate on the JKU was a fraction of what the TJ was.

It's no wonder some JK's have angry eyes...

Last edited:
Exactly.

Even at 10K less, you'd have to think about finance rates on new vs used, warrenty, getting exactly what you wanted vs what's available. The prices in the PNW are irrational for a used Wrangler of almost any flavor. YJ, TJ or JK/U's. Even clapped out XJ's go for a premium. Nice ones are just stupid.

I blame the available financing. Heck, I financed the TJ before I ever picked it out. We had three really good offers to finance the JK to choose from the night we first saw it for full price. Not book value, price. That's just irresponsible lending. And it's what's driving the prices through the roof.

Luckily, we didn't finance that much on either one, but the offers were on the table.

Oh, the offered interest rate on the JKU was a fraction of what the TJ was.

It's no wonder some JK's have angry eyes...

You're telling me man! My credit is just average, but when we financed our 2015 Subaru Outback, the offers were coming in left and right for financing. I was actually shocked that that many people wanted to finance me. I was going to go through my own credit union for financing, but then another credit union came in and offered me a rate that was not only lower, it was drastically lower! I said hey, if they're going to give me the lowest rate, then they've got my business.

Anyways, I know what you mean about the financing. It's crazy how they're just giving it out, and that's probably driving the insane prices.

If there ever reached a point where I could pick up a 2012+ JKU Rubicon for around 20k or so, I would do it. I just don't want to be spending 30k or more unless I have at least half of it in cash for a down payment.

Looking at JKU Rubicon prices just makes me laugh. A 2012 JKU Rubicon at 35k is stupid. Anyone who pays that is a complete fool. Go spend 5k more, get a brand new one with all the options you want, and you'll also be the original owner, warranty and all!

I shudder to think of what JL prices will be! But maybe the JL being released will drive the JKU prices down, since everyone will be wanting to upgrade?

You're telling me man! My credit is just average, but when we financed our 2015 Subaru Outback, the offers were coming in left and right for financing. I was actually shocked that that many people wanted to finance me. I was going to go through my own credit union for financing, but then another credit union came in and offered me a rate that was not only lower, it was drastically lower! I said hey, if they're going to give me the lowest rate, then they've got my business.

Anyways, I know what you mean about the financing. It's crazy how they're just giving it out, and that's probably driving the insane prices.

If there ever reached a point where I could pick up a 2012+ JKU Rubicon for around 20k or so, I would do it. I just don't want to be spending 30k or more unless I have at least half of it in cash for a down payment.

Looking at JKU Rubicon prices just makes me laugh. A 2012 JKU Rubicon at 35k is stupid. Anyone who pays that is a complete fool. Go spend 5k more, get a brand new one with all the options you want, and you'll also be the original owner, warranty and all!

I shudder to think of what JL prices will be! But maybe the JL being released will drive the JKU prices down, since everyone will be wanting to upgrade?

I think you're right. It's the same with student loans, also. The massive availability of loans has made education more available, but also considerably more expensive.

When my husband got his Jeep GC, he applied for pre-approved financing from our bank and I was really surprised at the amount he was approved for. We do okay and have good credit, but I would never expect to spend that much on a car. We ended up using about half what they approved on a 3 year old Jeep GC.

I do also feel like Jeep marks their vehicles up a lot. Compared to other SUVs, there is obviously a premium for the beefy nature of the Jeep, but then they tack on like 15% more because it says Jeep. The only reason we are willing to buy them is because we tend to keep vehicles a long time, so we might as well get something we really like.

I think you're right. It's the same with student loans, also. The massive availability of loans has made education more available, but also considerably more expensive.

When my husband got his Jeep GC, he applied for pre-approved financing from our bank and I was really surprised at the amount he was approved for. We do okay and have good credit, but I would never expect to spend that much on a car. We ended up using about half what they approved on a 3 year old Jeep GC.

I do also feel like Jeep marks their vehicles up a lot. Compared to other SUVs, there is obviously a premium for the beefy nature of the Jeep, but then they tack on like 15% more because it says Jeep. The only reason we are willing to buy them is because we tend to keep vehicles a long time, so we might as well get something we really like.

Oh yeah, there can be no argument that Jeep is making a killing of the JKs (especially the JKU). It's an incredibly simple vehicle to make, especially given that it still uses solid axles!

They are marked up drastically I think! Personally I feel like they should be priced more around 30k (depending on which model you get).

Reactions: LTTJ and StG58
Around here, it's the 4x4 truck market that is insane. When I bought my f150, I found a 2012 with 25000 miles for 39000. I bought a brand new 2013 for 46k...got 2.9% financing through my CU. Its insane to buy used, but people do it. It's driving the trade values too. My dad just traded a 2015 f350 king ranch for 41k...with 70k on the odometer!

Wouldn't this be a good thing? The fact that a used JKUR hasnt lost much of its resale value is a very good thing if one was looking to purchase a new JKUR. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

There's a lot less love for the JK/U on this forum than one would expect from Jeeple. I suppose that this is to be expected though, it IS a TJ forum, right?

I'm going to compare a 1999 TJ SE with a 2012 Sport Unlimited. Both are in the family. I drive both, though the TJ is my primary vehicle. Feel free to abuse and badmouth the JKU all you want, but be aware that it has found a home with us and satisfies certain requirements that the little TJ can't. The opposite is also very true. What I am going to attempt to do is explain the similarities and the differences. Each discussion point will go into it's own post so you can more clearly and easily quote or bash or ask questions or whatever. Let's have some fun with this and maybe we can all learn something.

Why not compare the TJ to the JK. And compare the LJ to the JKU?

Wouldn't this be a good thing? The fact that a used JKUR hasnt lost much of its resale value is a very good thing if one was looking to purchase a new JKUR. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Well yeah, if you have 40k to go out and get a new one, then yes, it's a damn good thing that the vehicle you're buying won't depreciate much in value.

However, if you're like most of us and don't have 40k cash lying around (and don't want to finance 40k either), then it's not a good thing.

If you use the govt inflation calculator over at The Bureau of Government Statistics ( https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl ) and input the MSRP $28,930.00 (Could it actually be priced out the door at MSRP back then?) of a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted back and use January 2006 as your purchase date. It would be equivalent to $35,736.50 in July 2017. So if you think a JKUR at 40k is a lot more than what people might have spent back in 2006 for a fully loaded Wrangler, IMO it's not far off the mark considering updates.