Arizona Reliable TJ Service in Phoenix, Arizona?

CactuscampAZ

I'm looking for recommendations for reliable, knowledgeable service and repair for my 2005 TJ in the Phoenix, AZ area. If any of you have a lead on a competent shop that you can share with me, I would really appreciate it.

I do all of my own work on my TJ, but @Gambaholic had mentioned about a 4x4 place called "Absolute Off-Road" in Phoenix. From what I understand, they are a full service shop. If you check them out, please report back. If you say good things about them, I may have my tire work done there.

Reactions: Chris
Like ac_ mentioned I’ve used Absolute Off-road a few times now and I can tell you they are honest and fair. Jason and Matt are great guys and very knowledgeable. It’s a small shop and they’re really busy so if you can deal with that you can at least be assured you’re not getting ripped off. Best to learn to do as much as possible for yourself as you can save a lot of money with the help of folks here and all the “how to” section. Good luck!

Reactions: ac_ and Chris
For regular service and repair, I've had great service from Dan at Tempe Imports near McClintock and University: (480) 966-6680

He's worked on both of my TJs: welded a cracked axle mount on my 2000, replaced the fuel management valve and performed a transmission flush on my 2004.

Dan can probably do almost anything you need, but if you're looking for a 4x4 specific shop, I've heard good things about Absolute Offroad as well.

Reactions: Chris
I have a 2005 LJ that I just bought. The Big-O Tires at 25th and Bell does a lot of mechanical work — they don't just sell tires. They do a lot of 4x4s but it would depend on how complex you're talking about. They did my lift (they do a lot of lifts), replaced all hoses and belts, installed a new radiator and transmission cooler, did the brakes (bigger brakes), do alignments, fluid changes, fix air conditioning. But they did not want to do the regear. They sent that out to another shop. disclosure: my daughter and son-in-law own that shop.

Reactions: ac_
I have a 2005 LJ that I just bought. The Big-O Tires at 25th and Bell does a lot of mechanical work — they don't just sell tires. They do a lot of 4x4s but it would depend on how complex you're talking about. They did my lift (they do a lot of lifts), replaced all hoses and belts, installed a new radiator and transmission cooler, did the brakes (bigger brakes), do alignments, fluid changes, fix air conditioning. But they did not want to do the regear. They sent that out to another shop. disclosure: my daughter and son-in-law own that shop.
Good to know because I have been having a hard time finding a decent place that does tires here. I will check them out next. I wish they were a little closer though, but if they do good tire work I will drive there.

HINT:
Costco members get tires as inexpensively as America's Tire/Discount Tire (they looked at the little bulge on the sidewall of the Michelin after I hit a 4-mile deep pothole and gave me a new tire. CalTrans paid for the damage their freeway caused I got another Michelin)

Both provide balancing and rotation forever and other tire services. Both will order in any brand you want.

Why Costco? If you use the Costco Visa, that becomes your membership card, you get a rebate on everything you spend, plus Costco gives you a rebate check on what you spend, so you end up spending less for the same tire than elsewhere. And you can buy your groceries there for less too.

HINT:
Costco members get tires as inexpensively as America's Tire/Discount Tire (they looked at the little bulge on the sidewall of the Michelin after I hit a 4-mile deep pothole and gave me a new tire. CalTrans paid for the damage their freeway caused I got another Michelin)

Both provide balancing and rotation forever and other tire services. Both will order in any brand you want.

Why Costco? If you use the Costco Visa, that becomes your membership card, you get a rebate on everything you spend, plus Costco gives you a rebate check on what you spend, so you end up spending less for the same tire than elsewhere. And you can buy your groceries there for less too.

That is a great tip. I never thought of using Costco for tires, but am weary of the same issues as Discount Tire. I mean they offer free balancing and rotation for the life of the tire, but can never seem to get it right, so that is not a great benefit. I have tried 3 different Discount Tires in my area with the same crappy results. I know it is Discount Tire because it was finally fixed at 4Wheelparts. This is not a plug for 4wheelparts in anyway, they have lots of problems on their own but they did manage to balance the tires that Discount Tire couldn't, so I know it wasn't an issue with the TJ. Plus the old tires I had previous to the new ones were nicely balanced.

Now I would be willing to try Costco, but do question if their techs are trained in tire work or not. Just hard to find good tire guys anymore. And just to clarify, the tires that Discount had so many issues with were 31x10.5x15's, nothing special.

Thanks for that suggestion though. I never thought of Costco. Mostly because I am not a member but I might look at their credit card. I have a Costco right down the street from me and have never been there. I should go check it out.

I just looked and to apply for a Costco credit card you do have to be a member, that looks to be 60 bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shatto
Re: COSTCO (for ac_ zombicon)

Costco, and America's Tire, have always been fast and competent with me, but that has usually been in the Bay Area, where I was a Courier. I've been in Apache Junction for only a short time but I have noticed some .... differences? so the tire guys you've experienced may be different, but shouldn't be.

Costco has trained people, their products are first rate, in fact Kirkland, their brand, sells things like dress shirts you buy at upscale stores for less and they are improved to Kirkland standards. Today, they no longer sell Kirkland tires, rebranded Michelin, because the company adjusted the cost to the same price so the customer benefits.

Since we are practically neighbors, PM me and we can talk. And maybe go get some dust on our Jeeps.

I'm looking for recommendations for reliable, knowledgeable service and repair for my 2005 TJ in the Phoenix, AZ area. If any of you have a lead on a competent shop that you can share with me, I would really appreciate it.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. There are numerous shops to put on bolt on accessories, (especially for the JK crowd) but when it comes to maintenance, I have had good luck with
ATAC Arizona Total Auto in Gilbert.

Granted, this was with my YJ (which is why I finally rebooted my Jeep to a TJ).

The YJ had/has some serious wiring issues, and they followed through with me days later, even after I paid what I consider a reasonable bill for all of their troubleshooting efforts.

BTW, I've been a A&P mechanic (aircraft) for over 30 years, so I tend to judge mechanics very strongly.

Avoid Canyon Off-road off of Ironwood and Main unless you own an International Scout. Long story why, but $400 later, having changed a perfectly good part they said was bad, I'll never go back.

Good luck with your TJ, maybe we can hit the dirt sometime!

I think it depends on what you are looking for. There are numerous shops to put on bolt on accessories, (especially for the JK crowd) but when it comes to maintenance, I have had good luck with
ATAC Arizona Total Auto in Gilbert.

Granted, this was with my YJ (which is why I finally rebooted my Jeep to a TJ).

The YJ had/has some serious wiring issues, and they followed through with me days later, even after I paid what I consider a reasonable bill for all of their troubleshooting efforts.

BTW, I've been a A&P mechanic (aircraft) for over 30 years, so I tend to judge mechanics very strongly.

Avoid Canyon Off-road off of Ironwood and Main unless you own an International Scout. Long story why, but $400 later, having changed a perfectly good part they said was bad, I'll never go back.

Good luck with your TJ, maybe we can hit the dirt sometime!

Really I can do all of the work myself on my TJ, with the exception of tires and windshields. So basically I am looking for a place that can do real tire work and stands behind it.

Basically I have been to 3 Discount tires with no success of a balance. I have taken it back repeatedly with not success. I mean they are nice, but they just do it wrong every time. There is not hey lets try and rotate the rubber on the rim. It is slap some weight on it and if it is not enough we'll just slap more on it. I have had problems with both my rigs. Then I took it to 4wheel parts and paid a hefty price and they got it right with more than half the weight. But the air in the tires were from 32 to 48PSI and they definitely didn't torque the wheels. But they got the balance right, so I am happier, but I get that they don't care about tire work.

I know it sucks for shops that do tire work, because I probably not going to go there other than for tire work, but some place has to have pride in there work even if it is just "Tire Work."

So that said what tires do you run and size and if you like how they were mounted and balanced where did you go?

Really I can do all of the work myself on my TJ, with the exception of tires and windshields. So basically I am looking for a place that can do real tire work and stands behind it.

Basically I have been to 3 Discount tires with no success of a balance. I have taken it back repeatedly with not success. I mean they are nice, but they just do it wrong every time. There is not hey lets try and rotate the rubber on the rim. It is slap some weight on it and if it is not enough we'll just slap more on it. I have had problems with both my rigs. Then I took it to 4wheel parts and paid a hefty price and they got it right with more than half the weight. But the air in the tires were from 32 to 48PSI and they definitely didn't torque the wheels. But they got the balance right, so I am happier, but I get that they don't care about tire work.

I know it sucks for shops that do tire work, because I probably not going to go there other than for tire work, but some place has to have pride in there work even if it is just "Tire Work."

So that said what tires do you run and size and if you like how they were mounted and balanced where did you go?
I just bought the TJ last week, but it appears that the PO bought Wrangler 31x10.5x 15's at Sam's club. (I have pretty much every receipt since it was new!).
Also, my Jeep is a stocker, and rolls really smooth, no matter what the speed.
Again, I'd give the guys at ATAC a call, I wouldn't be surprised if they could hook you up, or let you know who can.

I just bought the TJ last week, but it appears that the PO bought Wrangler 31x10.5x 15's at Sam's club. (I have pretty much every receipt since it was new!).
Also, my Jeep is a stocker, and rolls really smooth, no matter what the speed.
Again, I'd give the guys at ATAC a call, I wouldn't be surprised if they could hook you up, or let you know who can.

Great thanks for the tip.

Have you considered Centramatic wheel balancers? I don't personally have experience with them, but the comments I've read about them have been very positive. Might even get a few more miles out of the tires.

http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balancer.rhtml?modelNumber=300-345

Reactions: Boinked and ac_
Have you considered Centramatic wheel balancers? I don't personally have experience with them, but the comments I've read about them have been very positive. Might even get a few more miles out of the tires.

I have never heard of that! But if it works I would be interested. One of our members tried the beads and didn't have much luck with them so I never tried them, but that would be really interesting if it works. I will do some reading up. If I could find something that works where i don't need a shop that would be great!

damn..............

I might order a set of these. i have chased every forum i could find and never a bad word.

Why do they not sell these in the local auto part stores?

Its strange that these are not more popular. I guess it would put a few tire places out of biz. its not hard to mount a tire with a couple of crow bars. its the ballance that makes me go down to the shop.
makes me want to run a true test of these. pull the weights off the rims and run it down the road and feel the viberation then mount these ballancers. worst case im out $200 and have to crawl back to the tire shop

but $200 is a lot of upgrade money