Relocated GPS best mod ever!

Mac

Supporting Member
I just finished relocating my GPS between the Sun Visors above the mirror. I feel it is the best mod I have made for overall driving. Does away with the sun washout of the screen and having it in the way whenever I was reaching for my sunglasses etc. I have to give credit to - ZORBA - I saw that he made the mod and had pics of the procedure, it was very easy and straight forward. GREAT results, thanks ZORBA.

20210430_183607 - Copy.jpg

Does @Zorba believe in GPS?

Figured he navigated with a Viking sundial.
Actually, I was using GPS before most folks had ever heard of one. Back in the days of single channel Magellans - when we upgraded to a 5 channel, we were cooking with gas, I'll tell ya! These were just GPS engines with a serial interface.

I just finished relocating my GPS between the Sun Visors above the mirror. I feel it is the best mod I have made for overall driving. Does away with the sun washout of the screen and having it in the way whenever I was reaching for my sunglasses etc. I have to give credit to - ZORBA - I saw that he made the mod and had pics of the procedure, it was very easy and straight forward. GREAT results, thanks ZORBA.

View attachment 248921
Don't forget to mail me your royalty check. ;)

I switched to Gaia. not sure how long it is going to last

IMG_6329.jpg

If I do a Garmin again, it will go up in the same spot.

Here is a sunshade mod that didn't really work:

old_mount(1).jpg

Reactions: Mac and L J
Actually, I was using GPS before most folks had ever heard of one. Back in the days of single channel Magellans - when we upgraded to a 5 channel, we were cooking with gas, I'll tell ya! These were just GPS engines with a serial interface.
@Jerry Bransford had the internet 10 years before it came to the rest of the world.

Imagine if you lost your GPS and needed GPS to find it. What do you put in Sta-bil to keep it from going bad? Why didn’t Barry Manilow actually write “I write the songs”.

I really want to know. These things keep me up at night. Do black skin divers wear white suits?

Why do we park in the driveway and drive on the park way.

I think I’m going crazy.

Last edited:
@Jerry Bransford had the internet 10 years before it came the rest of the world.

Imagine if you lost your GPS and needed GPS to find it. What do you put in Sta-bil to keep it from going bad? Why didn’t Barry Manilow actually write “I write the songs”.

I really want to know. These things keep me up at night. Do black skin divers wear white suits?

Why do we park in the driveway and drive on the park way.

I think I’m going crazy.
Andy is asking the real questions.

Also ... why didnt Epstein kill himself?

I switched to Gaia. not sure how long it is going to last

View attachment 248953

If I do a Garmin again, it will go up in the same spot.

Here is a sunshade mod that didn't really work:

View attachment 248954
Wow, what a shade - I think you could put your CB on it - I can't believe it didn't work. The concept seems sound and no reason why it wouldn't / shouldn't work. Nice try, but the shade seems to be more work than the simple location above the mirror.

Is that a tablet? How big is it and does it work well up there? I'm still trying to figure out the best spot for mine.
Yes, it is a ipad mini. The requirements for Gaia is that the tablet be cell enabled, no service needed, just the capability. It seems those versions have a GPS antenna. It slightly larger than the Garmin I was running (2757 I think).

It works well, but it does block a little of the rear view mirror. Not a deal breaker for me, but it may be for others.

Last edited:
Wow, what a shade - I think you could put your CB on it - I can't believe it didn't work. The concept seems sound and no reason why it wouldn't / shouldn't work. Nice try, but the shade seems to be more work than the simple location above the mirror.
The upper mount was far more involved, The lower was a piece of formed Kydex with velcro strips attached, maybe 2.5 mins and $4 worth of material. The main problem was heat, the ipad has a shut down function when it gets hot. The upper was R&D on the CNC machine.

IMG_6327.jpg

IMG_6328.jpg

I rarely use a CB, so I did a all in one, mics mount in the center console

IMG_6694.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

Last edited: