Relocated to CA

Slepnir

Wa. To Ca for the next 3 years. I miss Wa already but I'm down here in the monterey area for now. The trip was nice both jeeps made it..not like anyone gives a sh%t lol. Going through grants pass, mt. Ashland and mt. Shasta was hard on my boy going up those hills with all the crap i had inside and on the roof rack. So if anyone ever goes that route be aware of that. Long hills that seem to never end. Glad i installed the trans cooler but still pulled over just to let it cool down when transmission temps were getting up to 220. Heat was cooking my feet. I want to regear. Anyways is there anyone else in this surrounding area and if so..where the hell is a offroad parts store? I haven't found any so far. I'm used to having them everywhere in wa. along with tons of jeeps and parts on Craigslist. Not so much down here. Anyways if anyone on here is in the same vicinity and knows of a place or places i would appreciate the help. I know theirs a 4wheelparts in San Jose but I'm shooting for something closer before i head out that far.

Reactions: StG58
Welcome to California. There's the Hollister hills state vehicle recreation area located 30-40 miles from you. I've never been but it seems to have good reviews from those that have made it there.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

The second link is to the Santa Cruz 4wd club. They should be able to give you some advice on where to off-road.

http://www.sc4wdc.com/

Reactions: Slepnir
Monterey is such a beautiful area, I like it there a lot.

What did you move for if you don't mind me asking?

We were just up in Seattle this weekend for a few days on a little family trip. Man, it's so dense and crowded up there since I was last there!

Welcome to California. There's the Hollister hills state vehicle recreation area located 30-40 miles from you. I've never been but it seems to have good reviews from those that have made it there.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

The second link is to the Santa Cruz 4wd club. They should be able to give you some advice on where to off-road.

http://www.sc4wdc.com/

That was the first thing i looked up lol. Hollister seems to be the only place close enough to wheel. They have a made up park for wheeling and it looked pretty cool. Has some rocky parts. Never dared to rock crawl with my dd. I'll deff give those links a try.

Monterey is such a beautiful area, I like it there a lot.

What did you move for if you don't mind me asking?

We were just up in Seattle this weekend for a few days on a little family trip. Man, it's so dense and crowded up there since I was last there!

Moved because uncle Sam told me to. Wasn't even one of my picks. Was afraid that i want pc enough for Cali lol. Wa is great and has a huge jeep community. I hate the city of Seattle itself though. I used to live down south in the puyallup area. There's places to wheel everywhere there on different levels. I like mud lol. Tahuya has a mud pit and some awesome trails and then down south in Olympia has some awesome country as well. I used to shoot down thier. Just need a discovery pass. Its cheaper just to get the yearly one. Good to use on 2 vehicles. Are you just visiting or are you staying?

Reactions: StG58
Moved because uncle Sam told me to. Wasn't even one of my picks. Was afraid that i want pc enough for Cali lol. Wa is great and has a huge jeep community. I hate the city of Seattle itself though. I used to live down south in the puyallup area. There's places to wheel everywhere there on different levels. I like mud lol. Tahuya has a mud pit and some awesome trails and then down south in Olympia has some awesome country as well. I used to shoot down thier. Just need a discovery pass. Its cheaper just to get the yearly one. Good to use on 2 vehicles. Are you just visiting or are you staying?

I didn't realize you were military. When I used to be in the Army, I was stationed at Fort Lewis for my entire enlistment.

I live in Oregon (Salem to be exact) though, and it's where I was born and raised. We were just visiting Seattle for the weekend as a family trip.

welcome to Ca. Pismo beach is down hwy 101 a bit...our only area we can run on the beach..
When you say run do you mean drive out on the beach or actually run? I kept pulling into little spots to see if i could take it out there but its all blocked and a bunch off signs where i couldn't even take my dog :( lol poor boy was excited too step in the sand. He's never been.

When you say run do you mean drive out on the beach or actually run? I kept pulling into little spots to see if i could take it out there but its all blocked and a bunch off signs where i couldn't even take my dog :( lol poor boy was excited too step in the sand. He's never been.

You can actually drive on the sand dunes on the beach.

You're in the wrong part of California. I mean, its beautiful there on the coast and all, but so far from the mountains and the rural-ness that you're used to. No idea about off-road parks, but head over to highway 4 and 88 and even 50 for some fun.

You're in the wrong part of California. I mean, its beautiful there on the coast and all, but so far from the mountains and the rural-ness that you're used to. No idea about off-road parks, but head over to highway 4 and 88 and even 50 for some fun.
Yeah. I found that out. Pizmo is a drive, Hollister is a drive but doesn't seem to bad, not many jeeps around, no jeep waves, no offroad shops. This place sucks. No offense to those who love it but this is depressing as sh#t for me...and my house is on a freaken ant hill, I'm not allowed to work on my vehicle or wash it..not like it's going to get dirty for awhile. I had to leave my guns with a buddy in wa. Since i can't have them here. All the things i love to do. I walked into a store and bought a bunch off crap and they didn't bag it and i asked the lady if she was going to bag or and she said i have to buy bags. I was like wtf lol and started sticking things in my pockets and the wife's purse and hand carrying crap out. Lol. Can't wait for this to be over and go back home.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Yeah. I found that out. Pizmo is a drive, Hollister is a drive but doesn't seem to bad, not many jeeps around, no jeep waves, no offroad shops. This place sucks. No offense to those who love it but this is depressing as sh#t for me...and my house is on a freaken ant hill, I'm not allowed to work on my vehicle or wash it..not like it's going to get dirty for awhile. I had to leave my guns with a buddy in wa. Since i can't have them here. All the things i love to do. I walked into a store and bought a bunch off crap and they didn't bag it and i asked the lady if she was going to bag or and she said i have to buy bags. I was like wtf lol and started sticking things in my pockets and the wife's purse and hand carrying crap out. Lol. Can't wait for this to be over and go back home.
Hate to hear that you are not liking it. Bright side of things, at least you got your wife and your Jeep with you.

The Monterey area is beautiful but full of hippy liberals. Land use is pretty restricted all around that area as is water usage. You will need to head west or north to find some good off roading other than Hollister.

The bag thing started last year. Bring your own or pay per bag. It is a pita and once again, the liberal morons thought it would somehow clean up the environment.

You won't be there long, thankfully. To pass the time you could start ocean fishing or scuba. Lots of that around the area.

Reactions: Slepnir and StG58

Hopefully you get out of there soon. When I read your post, I was imagining you trying to shove a gallon of milk or some laundry detergent into your pockets. It made me laugh.

I had a job offer in CA and my husband and I said no way- we are not leaving Texas! Dallas instituted a bag cost that lasted a few months, then it quietly went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk