Relocating winch control box

Not an expert, but I have read on other threads people wondering the same thing, and from what I remember, for the wires to span that distance they would have to be a lot thicker and that would make them very difficult to work with. Most people choose to put it behind the passenger headlight, or on a custom bracket the puts it next to the fusebox. This keeps the control pack in between the battery and the winch, which means minimal lengths on the wires.
That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to confirm.

I hate asking dumb questions, but electrical stuff is not a strong point for me. : )

Not an expert, but I have read on other threads people wondering the same thing, and from what I remember, for the wires to span that distance they would have to be a lot thicker and that would make them very difficult to work with. Most people choose to put it behind the passenger headlight, or on a custom bracket the puts it next to the fusebox. This keeps the control pack in between the battery and the winch, which means minimal lengths on the wires.
X2. Keeping it inline with the original installation reduces the need for larger wire gauges. Mine is next to the power distribution box on a diy bracket. This keeps the hot negative cable to a minimum length also.

X2. Keeping it inline with the original installation reduces the need for larger wire gauges. Mine is next to the power distribution box on a diy bracket. This keeps the hot negative cable to a minimum length also.

Thank you.

A DIY bracket there was my original plan, I just wanted to make sure.

So I'd be ok to use just 3 pieces of 3 foot long 4 AWG from the winch to the control box? I might even be able to go a little shorter but I'm going to wait and make my bracket before I get cables so I'll measure more accurately at that time. 3 feet will definitely reach it.

And one last question. Would this be a good choice? It says its flexible and has some benefits listed over welding cable, crimped and sealed, not soldered, but I don't know enough about it. I'd have to verify want size lug terminal. I want to say it's 3/8.

4 Gauge (4 AWG) Extreme Battery Cable with Ends - Copper Extra Flexible Stranded (batterycablesusa.com)

@MountaineerTom , what did you do with the motor ground wire when you relocated the box? Did you lengthen it to reach the winch motor or did you ground to another spot?
I’m behind on getting this done due to work schedule but plan to just lengthen the ground wire so it will still attach to the motor.

Reactions: Tob
I used the relocation kits from Warn. The product info is deceiving, you actually need parts from each of the kits to retain the metal box with the longer cable.

If I remember correctly, the short cable kit had the bracket to mount the control box, but the long cable kit provided the longer wire but ditched the ability to use the metal housing.
20200508_172346.jpg
20200508_172352.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom