Reminder: Brake Cleaner + Welding = Death

TJ's-TJ

TJ Enthusiast
A quick reminder for those of you that are new to welding or in case you forgot this tidbit:

NEVER clean parts with chlorinated brake cleaner prior to welding. The welding process can break down the brake cleaner into Phosgene gas that can destroy your lungs in even very small amounts!

I don't keep in my shop just so there is never a chance that it will be used...

On a related note. A local man was spray painting in his garage that he heated with a wood stove. Without windows or doors open for ventilation the paint fumes ignited and he suffered serious burns. Let’s all be careful.

Do not mix chlorine with ammonia.
The fumes are deadly.
Years ago, I was called to the scene (Dallas) of a cleaning woman who had mixed these two chemicals as a cleaning solution in a bathroom. It killed her before she could call for help.

Something that I learned 30+ years ago. Brake fluid is flammable and shoots a long way when you hit a brake line by accident while welding.

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Do not mix chlorine with ammonia.
The fumes are deadly.
Years ago, I was called to the scene (Dallas) of a cleaning woman who had mixed these two chemicals as a cleaning solution in a bathroom. It killed her before she could call for help.

Chloramine gas! That shit is deadly.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Does anyone know how to remove chlorinated break cleaner from clothes? Will washing in laundry remove it? Or is there something else I need to purchase? This is kinda urgent and a crazy ridiculous story but I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere. I will happily explain to whoever can answer my question why I need this info!!! Thank you for any help!!!!! Feel free to text me at 5094493628.

My understanding is that chlorinated brake cleaner generally evaporates completely given enough time, and leaves no residue behind.

So, why do you need this info?

My understanding is that chlorinated brake cleaner generally evaporates completely given enough time, and leaves no residue behind.

So, why do you need this info?

He needs to weld his pants and doesn't want to destroy his lungs.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Do you think he got brake cleaner on his hootus while trying to clean off the truck bed liner?

No profile. Two posts. Wants your cell number. Does he own a Jeep? Sounds awful fishy to me. Might have snorted a bit of something to go along with his hootus spill🤣

No profile. Two posts. Wants your cell number. Does he own a Jeep? Sounds awful fishy to me. Might have snorted a bit of something to go along with his hootus spill🤣

He said this was urgent. There is no better place than here to get quick answers to weird questions delivered in a very specific manner that no one else does when hours matter!

^ Some type of scam? ^
1679278887679.gif

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It's generally just wise not to mix or heat chemicals if you don't know what the result will be. Brazing or soldering tubing in a refrigeration system can release similarly dangerous gases with the older CFC and HCFC refrigerant types. The newest HFO types are flammable so you don't want to do that, either. I don't know about the HFCs used in between but I would assume it'll kill me unless known otherwise.