Removal of present lift and getting back to a tamer ride

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have a 2004 TJ I bought this past March that already had 4" of lift along with a very stiff suspension from PO. It is a 5 speed Sport with 33" tires, 4.56 gears and a Detroit True Trac LSD in rear, open diff. in front, 1" body lift and a skid plate 1" lower. This is more than I need and don't want to get into the SYE, custom drive shaft, etc.. This will be a daily driver for awhile with moderate off road use; mostly logging trails and back wood adventures. I am currently thinking about scrapping the existing lift and replacing with a 2" lift with Rancho 5000X shocks. I want to keep the 33" tires. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

DSCN1537.JPG

Last edited:
I personally like the idea of 2" springs and some decent shocks (i.e. Rancho RS5000X). You'll likely still need a slight transfer case drop with 2" of lift (though a 1" MML might help to alleviate that a bit, but then you'll want to pair it with a 1" body lift if you go that route).

Also, if you're looking for a tamer ride, make sure you have C load rated tires, about 26 psi, and good shocks (as you already know).

What's with the red frame?

I personally like the idea of 2" springs and some decent shocks (i.e. Rancho RS5000X). You'll likely still need a slight transfer case drop with 2" of lift (though a 1" MML might help to alleviate that a bit, but then you'll want to pair it with a 1" body lift if you go that route).

What's with the red frame?

That was some RustOleum rusty metal primer I sprayed on after wire brushing surface rust away.

Reactions: Chris
very interested in this thread and what the experts think.

I'm thinking about scrapping my 2.5 lift and going back to OEM. I kept all the OEM parts.

I'm old, my LJ has been in 4wd one time since 2011, that was just to see if it worked and I had to dig out the OM to get it out.

I know, I'm the lowest form of Jeeper, but I own it.

I think I’m heading in this direction. I have everything except the tires. I’m on 2” bds lift w rancho 5000x shocks. I haven’t measured yet but the springs appear to have given more like a 2.5” lift. Makes my 31s look a bit small. I still had vibes with a 0.5” TC drop and I didn’t want to drop it any further hence then reason why I am currently installing a SYE so I can ditch any kind of TC drop. I’m still on the fence about a BL and MML. I’d like to go either 33/10.5 or 32/11.5.

What shocks are on it now? I personally wouldn't spend money to replace serviceable parts.

Why not just get some 5000X shocks for the current setup? 🧐

The shocks are Rubicon Express and yes I am considering just replacing the shocks with Ranchos.

Reactions: L J
How much added bump stop do your currently have? Would you consider adding a motor mount lift?

I would say that the shocks and tires are like 75% of the ride quality. Maybe more. Unless the springs are ridiculously high spring weight they don't affect the smoothness of the ride. Just primarily the height.
Put Rancho 5000x and a good load C tire at proper inflation and you should have a decent ride irregardless of spring height.

Reactions: AndyG
And people mock me for sticking with a stock ride height, but tall lifts just open a can o worms. 1"-2" springs and high clearance fenders for 33's is an option that avoids alot of that mess.

Rubicon Express shocks suck, they're stiff as hell. Mine had those when I first got my Jeep. I later realized they were the reason mine rode so stiff. I later swapped to Skyjacker Hydro's and it improved quite a bit, then earlier this year, I swapped those for Rancho RS5000x shocks and the ride improved even more.

I would say that the shocks and tires are like 75% of the ride quality. Maybe more. Unless the springs are ridiculously high spring weight they don't affect the smoothness of the ride. Just primarily the height.

Shocks and tires are significantly more than 75%. Finding a ridiculously high spring rate to complain about in the first place is something that is ridiculously difficult to do.

Rubicon Express shocks suck, they're stiff as hell. Mine had those when I first got my Jeep. I later realized they were the reason mine rode so stiff. I later swapped to Skyjacker Hydro's and it improved quite a bit, then earlier this year, I swapped those for Rancho RS5000x shocks and the ride improved even more.

Way too stiff for this old set of bones. I am leaning toward replacing the shocks with the Ranchos based on the good reviews I have read here.