Remove plow lift

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
Also on my to do list is removing the lift for the plow that is sitting on the front bumper. My concern is that once removed, there will be bare metal that can get rusted. So, three questions:

1. What can I do to protect against rust and corrosion?
2. Is this as simply as just removing the bolts I see here on the sides?
3. Once removed, would it be worth trying to sell this on CL (I have no need for it...)?

Photo Jul 19, 10 15 10 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 19, 10 15 28 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 19, 10 15 41 AM.jpg

Oh yeah, and if it's worth offering up on CL - what could I expect to get for this? $100 $250? $500? No idea what the market is for these...

Oh yeah, and if it's worth offering up on CL - what could I expect to get for this? $100 $250? $500? No idea what the market is for these...

I would go to CL and see what the market rate is.

So I called around to a few shops and they wanna charge $200 (2 hours) to take this off the TJ :(

Only one shop offered to buy it - said they'd take it off for free and buy it for $200 - is this worth it?

Update: A local jeeper here in Colorado said he'd help me take it off for the price of a 6-pack of beer, think that's prolly gonna be the best deal around. Then I got a reply from the CL posting, with a guy interested. If the stars align, my net profit of $200 will jump to $500-$600, plenty for a new set of 31" tires, right? :)

Reactions: UpperMI
Update: A local jeeper here in Colorado said he'd help me take it off for the price of a 6-pack of beer, think that's prolly gonna be the best deal around. Then I got a reply from the CL posting, with a guy interested. If the stars align, my net profit of $200 will jump to $500-$600, plenty for a new set of 31" tires, right? :)

Sounds like a good deal. And depending what 31's you get, $500 may be enough. Are you going for All terrain tires or Mud tires?

Dunno - any advice on the pros and cons of each?

Truthfully, it depends on what kind of driving you are going to do with it. If you are going to do 80% or higher of your driving on pavement then I would probably stick with an All terrain tire. These tires ride a little nicer and stop better in rain and snow covered roads. Something like a Goodyear Duratrac (on my current Jeep), BF Goodrich KO2 (on a former Chevy truck of mine), General Grabber AT, cooper discovery AT3, lots of good choices out there. For a Mud Terrain tire I like Dick Cepek extreme country's. They are one of the more reasonably priced mud terrain tires out there.

regardless of what you select, I would recommend a C load rated tire. I went from Goodyear MTRs (E load rating) to Goodyear Duratracs (C load rating) and it the C load rated tires definitely softened the ride of the jeep.

Reactions: CBJason
Wow! With a GVCW of a shade under 2000lbs I would have thought the stock tires would be at least rated for a ton!

Is the weight capacity rating also printed on the tire?

Wow! With a GVCW of a shade under 2000lbs I would have thought the stock tires would be at least rated for a ton!

Is the weight capacity rating also printed on the tire?

Yes, its printed on the side of the tire. Each tire is rated for that weight. My Goodyear duratracs are rated for 2205 lbs per tire in C load range. So all four tires together can hold up to 8820 lbs for example. The E rated tire in the same size can hold up to 3042 lbs per tire. The E load rated tires get their extra capacity by having more plys added to the tires. More sidewall plys and more radial plys. However; With the extra weight carrying capacity also comes higher tire weight. Some Jeepers like the E rated tires since the extra plys make them harder to puncture. But since mine sees pavement the majority of the time, I wanted the a lighter tire that didn't have a stiff sidewall so it would ride a little smoother. The duratracs fit the bill for my needs.

C Rated Tires, 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs like Wranglers
D Rated Tires, 3/4 ton trucks
E Rated Tires, 1 Ton trucks.

3 things happen as you go up in ratings.
The tires get heavier... LOTS heavier.
The tires get stiffer.... less flex.
The ride gets MUCH rougher.

I know guys will say I run Es and my ride is fine but honestly Cs ride way better. AND you can literally go faster with the right load rating. Unsprung weight is the killer for handling. Cs will be the lightest. If all you want to do is crawl thru sharp rocks maybe the extra rubber and steel will make a tougher tire but an aired down C will flex and conform to the rocks way better than an E will so I doubt the durability gain will be worth the traction loss.

15s are almost exclusively C Rated. 16s and 17s tend to be almost exclusive to heavier ratings of D and E.

Reactions: CBJason