Removing anodizing from aluminum

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Aside from the typical "Greased Lightning", what have you guys used to remove anodizing from aluminum?

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find the Greased Lightning at my local store, so I'm hoping there might be something else that works equally as good.

How big is the piece? Lye works. I stripped a pair of bicycle wheels with oven cleaner a while back.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Grocery store. Heavy Duty Off Oven Cleaner. You'll need to bake the axles in the oven. Pretend your cleaning, if the wife asks. Finish up with some light sanding.

Oh yes, I'll post some photos when I'm done. It's got a scale Currie Antirock, King coilovers, Currie Rockjock 70 axles, and the whole works. I think you guys will dig it.

I've always thought it'd be cool to have a scale Jeep and match the mods I do to it. But then I realized how much work it'd be. I used to build (back before all of this ready to run stuff became popular) and race RC cars at the tracks with my uncle so I know the work that goes into them.

Do you guys have any indoor or outdoor tracks near you? We used to have several within driving distance that'd have structured races and everything.

I've always thought it'd be cool to have a scale Jeep and match the mods I do to it. But then I realized how much work it'd be. I used to build (back before all of this ready to run stuff became popular) and race RC cars at the tracks with my uncle so I know the work that goes into them.

Do you guys have any indoor or outdoor tracks near you? We used to have several within driving distance that'd have structured races and everything.

Let's put it this way, this thing has cost me $2500 to build with all these parts. The kit alone (which is an Axial Bomber) was only $400, but once you start adding all the licensed parts (Currie axles, Warn winches, King shocks, etc.), it adds up very quickly.

The one I am building is this one:

https://bomberfab.com/collections/axial-racing/products/rr10-bomber-1-10th-scale-electric-4wd-rtr-1
It's a scale version of Randy Slawson's (Bomber Fabrication) rig that won KOH in 2013 and 2015. It's pretty cool to watch this thing crawl, as it has insane amounts of flex and articulation.

We have a ton of indoor tracks where I'm at, and outdoors ones are all over. Hell, my brother-in-law who lives about 1/2 a mile from me has a literal rock pit across the street from him that we go crawl in. It's nothing but massive rocks someone put there, and it's honestly the perfect place to drive these things.

I've been into RC stuff for a while, but only recently got into crawlers.

One thing I can tell you is that it's sure as hell a lot cheaper than turning a Jeep into a rock crawler :ROFLMAO: