Removing debris from spark plug holes?

fourpointzero

TJ Addict
Original poster
Anyone have any recommendations on how to clear the gunk from the plug holes? Before removing the old plugs I blew out the area with compressed air but clearly, if you look at the crappy photos I took, (very tight area) you can see there's a lot of debris still there, and the last thing I want to do is get that down in my engine.

Thinking a shop vac will do it but maybe there's something better for the job, or a how-to a veteran could recommend?

Thanks in advance:

IMG_3713.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3707.jpeg

Get a piece of hose/tubing that is much smaller diameter than the vacuum hose.
Push a few inches into the vacuum hose and then tape the joint to get a better seal.
The reduced diameter will increase the velocity of the air being sucked in, thus improving your chances of getting all of the debris to go into the hose instead of into the engine.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Next time spray a little carb cleaner first. Let it sit a few seconds. Spray with air. I've got a skinny hose i use on my air gun to get into tight places that really helps stuff like this

Push a few inches into the vacuum hose and then tape the joint to get a better seal.
The reduced diameter will increase the velocity of the air being sucked in, thus improving your chances of getting all of the debris to go into the hose instead of into the engine.

That's a great idea, actually. Didn't even think of fabbing something up but I've got the perfect piece of small diameter tubing and gaffers tape. Thank you! Will chime back with results.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Next time spray a little carb cleaner first. Let it sit a few seconds. Spray with air. I've got a skinny hose i use on my air gun to get into tight places that really helps stuff like this

That would have certainly cleared the area much better than just air. Thank you!

Clean that area BEFORE you remove the plugs and use Autolite XP-985 iridium plugs. You won't need to change them again.
p.s. Your plugs are as bad as your air filter. ;)

This works good, and having a big, powerful shop vac helps too.

Clean that area BEFORE you remove the plugs and use Autolite XP-985 iridium plugs. You won't need to change them again.
p.s. Your plugs are as bad as your air filter. ;)

Ya man, I'm behind schedule on my air filter and plug replacement. I've only put approx 3k miles on the Jeep since 2021 because I only use it in the Spring and Summer. Rotations, oil change, transfer case fluid, diff's, etc are all up to speed, though.

As far as cleaning the holes, I tried blowing them out, but didn't think about using a solvent prior. And I offroaded heavy before 2020 and forgot how filthy the engine compartment was after. And thats where a lot of crude collected and I didn't get cleared since those trips. Live n learn.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I slide my mini shop vac over the plugs to suck up any garbage. I use Purple Power and the power wash hose at the car wash to clean my engine so there's never too much crap around the plugs.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I slide my mini shop vac over the plugs to suck up any garbage. I use Purple Power and the power wash hose at the car wash to clean my engine so there's never too much crap around the plugs.

Same here, I've always kept my engines and undercarriages/running gear very clean, my entire life since my first car. But I'm a car nut, I love cars and trucks and Jeeps and hate to see a filthy engine, plus it's harder to work on. I don't even like to see dust on them. Once you get them clean it's not hard to keep them that way.