Removing factory subwoofer

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I thought I better ask before I tore something up.
What's the secret to removing the sub enclosure box from the console?
There are 2 small, thin, round, metal retainer doo dads, one at each end, looks like they hold the sub box in. ???
How does this enclosure come out?
20181225_185755.jpg

On closer look, this enclosure has some sort of (4) rivets holding the sub enclosure, looks like this..
20181225_194323.jpg

It's not a screw. I can turn it but it just spins and 4 of these hold the sub enclosure.

I don't think the outer ones are anything, but look at the inner one in your pic is there screw in those? I can only reference mine and it is an 05?
Yes sir, 05 Sport and those are some kind of rivet. It does not look like it can be easily removed.
I could drill it out but ill be patient, there's got to be some neat trick here.

A pic from underneath, only 1 of the 4 is even visible much less accessible..
20181225_201559.jpg

That's not a threaded bolt. Looks like some kind of rivet.?.
I can turn the head with a small screwdriver and the thing just spins.
I don't see any way other than drilling it out and replacing with new flat head Phillips screws. Idk.

I used pliers to unspin those...there is absolutely no need to drill anything they are some sort of weird nut type thing...they will come off with some plier pressure on the outside of them...I think I only reinstalled maybe 1 or 2 when I put it back together.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Held on by
3 screws on the side
2 inside the console compartment
2 fasteners on bottom (see my markup of your picture)

I used pliers to pull the metal away from those little plastic tabs, couldn't see any other way to remove it other than break them off. After that, the sub will come out.

Should be exactly that as mine is an '03 Sport.

faa057730c5202212d460f916263401a.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ