Removing front springs

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Last time I removed the springs I used spring compressors. This time I am installing my Currie 4" lift and decided I'd rather avoid spring compressors and just get the springs out by lowering the axle.

Well, it seems that even with everything disconnected the only way to get the axle to drop enough to get the springs out is going to be disconnecting the front driveshaft. Am I correct in my thinking that or is there another way around it?

Lifting the back side of the axle will drop the front side.

I just realized that after I posted... Doh!

I need to lift one side a bit which should cause the other side to droop more.

I'll take a break and finish it up in the morning. Clearly I'm not thinking straight this evening.

I had to disconnect it. The springs so so friggin long there was no way around it!
It depends actually on how the driveshaft was made. I typically have to disconnect them on Rubi 44's. Nifty trick is a small impact driver with an 8mm 6 point socket. Literally takes less than a minute to zip out all 4 flange head machine screws in the straps. Don't forget to clearance the lower side of the shock mount over the arm so the axle will go all the way down.

Reactions: mouth and Chris
The RE springs will be replacing my front Ranchos. They just weren't designed with winches and raditor savers in mind. :(

When I installed my 4" Zone springs , I loosened all the control arm bolts , disconnected shocks,track bar, jacked up the opposite side to droop the side I'm working on , my factory brake line was stretched as far as it could be safely, then I used a crow bar & my son to force it that last bit.

Reactions: Chris
When I installed my 4" Zone springs , I loosened all the control arm bolts , disconnected shocks,track bar, jacked up the opposite side to droop the side I'm working on , my factory brake line was stretched as far as it could be safely, then I used a crow bar & my son to force it that last bit.

I pretty much had to almost completely take the axle off to get mine in, haha.

No, I just had to disconnect brake lines and get it to the point of where the axle was hanging only by the control arms and nothing else.

I didn't even know Rancho made anything other than shocks.
They make lots of stuff Chris. My first TJ (2000) I bought new and put a Rancho 2 1/2" lift on. Nice lift and rode pretty good if I remember right. They also have bumpers but I don't care for their rear with tire carrier.

Reactions: Chris
I pretty much had to almost completely take the axle off to get mine in, haha.

No, I just had to disconnect brake lines and get it to the point of where the axle was hanging only by the control arms and nothing else.
Did you end up unhooking your front driveshaft to get the extra droop?

My front left was on a ramp and I still couldn't get the front right to drop enough to get the springs out (after disconnecting the sway bar/track bar/shocks/ and one end of the CA). I was working in the dark so it's possible the DS was holding me up and I didn't notice it. I'll look for impact marks on the skid plate to see if it was likely touching against the DS.

I prefer to not use spring compressors unless 100% necessary.

Did you end up unhooking your front driveshaft to get the extra droop?

My front left was on a ramp and I still couldn't get the front right to drop enough to get the springs out (after disconnecting the sway bar/track bar/shocks/ and one end of the CA). I was working in the dark so it's possible the DS was holding me up and I didn't notice it. I'll look for impact marks on the skid plate to see if it was likely touching against the DS.

I prefer to not use spring compressors unless 100% necessary.
Yep, I had to remove the front driveshaft.

Reactions: MikeE024 and JMT
Using compressors you don't have to remove the driveshaft or touch the control arms, you are only compressing them a small amount and it is ridiculously easy. Obviously don't go outside your comfort zone but they make the job very easy. It's not at all like working on a strut, you are just compressing the springs a little bit. And unlike struts there are no control arms to multiply the load so the spring rates are much lower on a Jeep.

Using compressors you don't have to remove the driveshaft or touch the control arms, you are only compressing them a small amount and it is ridiculously easy. Obviously don't go outside your comfort zone but they make the job very easy. It's not at all like working on a strut, you are just compressing the springs a little bit. And unlike struts there are no control arms to multiply the load so the spring rates are much lower on a Jeep.
Now I'm a tyro at best with this stuff - but it sure seems that using the correct tool would be way easier, faster, and simpler than dis-assembling half the suspension, removing driveshafts, jacking things up, etc etc would be. To each his own!

To each his own!

kid-trap.jpg

or

trap.jpg