Removing rear driveshaft with JB Conversion SSYE kit

TJosh02

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What may be hard to see in the above photos is that the T-case side of the driveshaft's bolts aren't the 5/16th bolts elsewhere. They are 6 sided 1/2" head bolts. The casting around the bolt heads is too narrow for me to get a wrench on it and turn. The 12 sided enclosed end is too thick to fit over the head. The socket fits but I can't put a wrench and a socket on it. What a PITA. This is with a JB Conversion SSYE kit. I didn't know what kind of specialty tool you are suppose to have to unbolt the rear DS so I ordered super short socket and hope that works.

Anyone else have the same problem?

RDSyokebolts02.jpg

RDSyokebolts01.jpg

rDSyokebolts03.jpg

I have a JB Conversions SS Sye and a TW driveshaft. The bolts are a different size than the diff end, but mine are 12 point. I was able to slip a stubby ratcheting wrench (channel lock brand) over them and loosen them with no problem. 🤷‍♂️

My SS Sye is only about a year old though, so maybe the yoke design changed?

Nope-mine has the standard 5/16 bolts that were supplied by the driveshaft fabricator. I have a bag of cheap and crappy sockets and I would likely just grind one down short until it fit.

Yeah these were probably put on when I had my SSYE and CV DS installed. Guess I will just have to make do or improvise.

I agree with 97TJNM; the yoke manufacturer may have revised the design of the yoke slightly due to clearance issues when tightening and loosening of those bolts.
The yoke that I have installed has a machined area where the bolt heads are located; not just the rough cast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97TJNM
That looks to me like somebody replaced them with generic hardware store bolts. I don't have any better suggestions for taking them off but I'd for sure get some real driveshaft bolts to replace them when you put it back together.

Not the greatest photos, but this is what mine looks like. Just re-installed the DS yesterday, and no problems getting it in there with a ratcheting wrench.

20220927_084227.jpg

20220927_084215.jpg

That looks to me like somebody replaced them with generic hardware store bolts. I don't have any better suggestions for taking them off but I'd for sure get some real driveshaft bolts to replace them when you put it back together.

That's what I was thinking. Those definitely don't look anything like the bolts Tom Wood sent me!