Removing rear wheel well liners?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What's the consensus on the rear wheel well liners? Do I stand anything to lose by removing them? They're a royal pain in the butt when removing fender flares, lowering the fuel tank, and doing work on the vehicle in general.

I'm not really sure what they do other than keep mud from being flung up there. Just curious who has removed theres and if it would be a bad idea to remove mine.

Since I'm outboarding the rear shocks, it seems like I may be forced to remove them anyways (or cut them to fit otherwise).

Reactions: JMT and tworley
I don't run mine anymore. They were on the vehicle for its whole life before I got it, and I still have rust in the "protected" areas of the tub. I figured its better to be able to spray water up there and rinse out the mud and muck vs trapping the stuff that inevitably gets back there anyway. I haven't noticed any noise difference...with the exception of a couple of stones being thrown into the tub...sometimes they sound like gunshots!.

Reactions: Chris
I don't run mine anymore. They were on the vehicle for its whole life before I got it, and I still have rust in the "protected" areas of the tub. I figured its better to be able to spray water up there and rinse out the mud and muck vs trapping the stuff that inevitably gets back there anyway. I haven't noticed any noise difference...with the exception of a couple of stones being thrown into the tub...sometimes they sound like gunshots!.

That was my thought as well. I figured of anything they'd end up trapping water and causing rust.

I think I may just use some black bedliner on the inside of the wheel wells there so that it doesn't look odd.

I do remember all the sand and dirt that fell out from behind them when I was replacing the flares a couple of years ago. That was with a clean Jeep and I also had hosed off the underside prior to working on the flares. My son took them his off his '97 and has had no problems with rust. I think it would be a good idea to remove them so you can get rid of all the crap that is trapped behind them.

That was my thought as well. I figured of anything they'd end up trapping water and causing rust.

I think I may just use some black bedliner on the inside of the wheel wells there so that it doesn't look odd.
I painted my wheelwells black too. Honestly, its hard to tell the difference between mine and one with the liners.

I painted my wheelwells black too. Honestly, its hard to tell the difference between mine and one with the liners.

I believe it. I’m just going to take them out. The outboard rear shocks will at bare minimum force me to cut into them, and at that point I would just rather remove them.

The lighting isn't the best here, but this is what they it looks like, painted black and with the tires on.

YpQMQtPOSlpfHFoHsKSR_AVT3VLh7QULqbPKmpq-I3Opeq9rorvTlSDDXKDlqoih4cygx-bW4v_DW7hef-=w1632-h918-no.jpg

Reactions: Chris and Alex01
I pulled mine out and painted the wheel well black several years ago. Much easier to clean and I haven't noticed any change in noise except for the occasional rock.

If you want yet another way to obscure the presence of a body lift, get rid of the liners.