Help removing running boards

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Im not sure if these are oem or after market but either way there is absolutely no leverage or room to take these things off even after a ton of wd40. Any suggestions?

4576C1ED-FFB1-4B94-B900-263CDD0A1E69.jpeg

74B96A22-62EC-4D89-BDCC-8901CD279303.jpeg

D56ADEDC-E711-4DB6-A54B-354FFDCAC1A8.jpeg

Those two side-by-side bolts are the front, I think. Mine came with tube steps that mounted that way on the front. Those should just screw out. I dont know about that other one. It looks like a metal brace is covering the bolt. I dont know that would have even been installed. Is that metal piece a part of the jeep or part of the step mounting bracket?

If it’s not an important part of the jeep, you might be able to cut that bracket until you can access the bolt.

After looking again, it looks like the bracket also go in the body mount.

You could cut the step mounting bracket, leaving the rear bolt in place, then remove body bolt and pull the mounting bracket out.

After looking again, it looks like the bracket also go in the body mount.

You could cut the step mounting bracket, leaving the rear bolt in place, then remove body bolt and pull the mounting bracket out.
Ya, sorry for not explaining. It is two double bolts going into the tub i attempted unbolting but there is less than an inch of wiggle room at best.

At the rear, just remove (pull) those plastic fasteners (3 or 4) from the inner fender well and you'll have easy access to those bolts.
And the 2 in front could have nuts under the floor mats.

At the rear, just remove (pull) those plastic fasteners (3 or 4) from the inner fender well and you'll have easy access to those bolts.
And the 2 in front could have nuts under the floor mats.

That’s plastic over the rear bolt? That would make it easier. I though it looked like metal.

Those front bolts on mine threaded into nut plates or nutserts or something. I didn’t have to hold anything on the back side to get them out.