Removing seat belt height adjuster slide ?

Rcj

So I've been browsing the forums, among many other forums ... Found a ton of useful information, but can't really seem to find anything regarding deleting the seat belt height adjuster slide ...

Basically, I'm on a mission to delete all the plastic garbage that I can lol. Ultimately I just want to make my Jeep as barebone/minimal as I can.

Regardless, my current target is the seatbelt height adjuster things. I want to just straight up remove the sliding adjuster, and bolt the seatbelt directly into the bar ....

I can't find any information regarding the viability of this, but can't see an inherent issues with it. I'm assuming that the lack of information is secondary to no one else wanting it removed lol.

So, would I be ok to remove the entire slider portion, and bolt the seatbelt directly into one of the holes from the slider ? Or is there a safety risk, or something else that I should be aware of prior to doing this ?

I have seen older Jeep's with the seatbelt mounted in the way I want, but still want to be certain that there isn't a difference that I'm not seeing, or some sort of reason that I need to keep the adjuster on - the only thing I can think is that the adjuster is held with 2 bolts, as opposed to the seat belt will only be attached with one bolt the way I want.

Anyway, appreciate your input/advice !!

Oh, side note - it's an 00 tj sahara, and I'm referring to the front driver/passenger seatbelts.

Not sure what you're saying...are you wanting to remove the seat belt retractor mechanism from the floor, and just have a fixed length seat belt that is bolted to the sport bar? That could be less than ideal if you ever move your seat forward or back - no adjustment available...let me know if I'm getting the wrong idea...

Not sure what you're saying...are you wanting to remove the seat belt retractor mechanism from the floor, and just have a fixed length seat belt that is bolted to the sport bar? That could be less than ideal if you ever move your seat forward or back - no adjustment available...let me know if I'm getting the wrong idea...

Although I was looking for something along those lines, I am not asking about that. I kinda decided that wouldn't be very practical for the reason that you mentioned, along with the whole floppy seatbelt when it's not clipped in.

What I'm asking about though is the part nearest your shoulder the up and down slide adjuster to Change the height of the shoulder part.

I want to take this slider off completely - I would have to remove the slider, and then remove the triangle shaped piece that the seatbelt is actually looped through - this triangle piece would then be reattached to one of the bolt holes that the slider was mounted on with ....

It is sorta hard to describe, but maybe that makes it a bit clearer ?

Basically the shoulder height up/down slide rail is what I want to delete, and then attach the seat belt directly to the roll bar with no up/down slider. That would leave the triangle shaped part that the seatbelt loops through in a fixed/static position directly on the roll bar.

Any betterish ? Lol.

Yeah, that makes sense now. Looking at that slider, but not too closely, it seems what you want to do would work. You'd have to remove the slider and take it apart to find out probably.

Yeah, that makes sense now. Looking at that slider, but not too closely, it seems what you want to do would work. You'd have to remove the slider and take it apart to find out probably.

Yeah, I mean physically im like 98% certain that I can make it happen.... What I'm concerned with is the structural importance, as far as safety goes with the slider bar. Is it only there for the sake of comfort/adjustment, or does it have another purpose as far securing/fastening the seatbelt to the roll bar?

Will directly bolting the triangle part without the slider somehow be less secure ?

Without seeing how the slider track is bolted to the bar, two things come to mind - if it attaches with two bolts, you'd only be using one afterward. However, you'd be eliminating the secondary connection of the triangle to the slider, so I cannot see how it would be any less secure IMO.

Without seeing how the slider track is bolted to the bar, two things come to mind - if it attaches with two bolts, you'd only be using one afterward. However, you'd be eliminating the secondary connection of the triangle to the slider, so I cannot see how it would be any less secure IMO.

Fair enough, I more or less had the same thought - that, and there are plenty of pictures of older Jeep's with the seatbelt attached in the same way that I intend to mount it - as far as I can tell they are the exact same just sans slider bar.

I'm assuming that the slider was implemented for comfort, and to adjust for multiple passenger/peoples use.

Also yes, it is bolted on with a top bolt, and a bottom bolt. With the belt directly to the roll bar it will have only a single bolt. More or less though, aside from the groove/track part of the slider the only thing securing the triangle part to the slider is a single bolt. So kinda 6 in one, half dozen in the other.

Have you tried removing the adjustment slider yet?
No not yet, maybe going to Tonight. Depends on if I can get the rear seat brackets out or not. They were pretty seized up, but they are soaking in PB blaster. Once I remove those to get either some bedliner, or a cargo mat down im going to pull the seat belt stuff in the front down n take a look at it.

Would I be ok to remove the entire slider portion, and bolt the seatbelt directly into one of the holes from the slider ? Or is there a safety risk, or something else that I should be aware of prior to doing this ?

I have seen older Jeep's with the seatbelt mounted in the way I want

You need to buy a CJ5.

That slider deal is engineered to protect you. I agree getting rid of shit is cool but I'd never try to modify the seat belts.... or airbags.

Reactions: JMT
You can remove the plastic cover, it just unsnaps, but I'd leave the steel height adjustment track intact. Removing it is easy but creating a new structurally sound upper seat belt mount would be more trouble than you're thinking.

Reactions: JMT
You can remove the plastic cover, it just unsnaps, but I'd leave the steel height adjustment track intact. Removing it is easy but creating a new structurally sound upper seat belt mount would be more trouble than you're thinking.

So you don't think that the seat belt could be directly bolted to the roll bar ? Into one of the two bolt holes that the slider was attached to ? Basically it's be like this - they don't appear to have any special mods, or differences compared to mine that's in the slider ?

But, I may be not seeing something, or there may be some sort of structure etc that I'm missing...

Either way, appreciate the input - and thankfully I didn't get around to dissembling it last night, got hung up trying to get the rear brackets out n snapped the damn heads off of two bolts.

Don't think I will just deplastic the slider either, it's probably look okish, but I imagine it'll rust up really bad.

Again, appreciate everyone's input !

images.jpg

IMG_4646.JPG

You need to buy a CJ5.

That slider deal is engineered to protect you. I agree getting rid of shit is cool but I'd never try to modify the seat belts.... or airbags.
You are 100% correct, I love the look of the cjs/yjs. The dash, the roll cage, everything. Would absolutely love to have one, especially to learn to work on.

One day, one day ...

Don't think I will just deplastic the slider either, it's probably look okish, but I imagine it'll rust up really bad.
It won't rust. It has been a while since I had the plastic cover off but I recall the bracket underneath is anodized... which also means it'd look better with the plastic cover on.

It won't rust. It has been a while since I had the plastic cover off but I recall the bracket underneath is anodized... which also means it'd look better with the plastic cover on.
Actually, maybe I'll pull it off, and paint/or bedliner spray it. That might look cool - I just really cant stand the big bulky plastic parts .... Always hated it on dashes, interiors etc on American vehicles.

Actually, maybe I'll pull it off, and paint/or bedliner spray it. That might look cool - I just really cant stand the big bulky plastic parts .... Always hated it on dashes, interiors etc on American vehicles.
Yeah I'm definitely no fan of all the plastic either. If I had the time, expertise, & $$$ I'd replace my TJ's plastic car-like dash with an all steel flat simple dash out of a '73 or so CJ-5.

• Love
Reactions: Ephry73 and Gerund