Removing the factory airbox for room?

-T.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
In your research, have you guys discovered an open element air filter that filters at least nearly as good as OEM? I'm not looking for hp or better milage. Just looking to free up some space under the hood by removing the factory air box. Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

39829B21-31FD-4272-B7A0-24E3847F7480.jpeg

The Windstar has been working well on mine for the last 5 years, 80k miles.

I'm being lazy. Without googling, what years work?
Thanks for understanding.

Some early 00's F250s had the same intake. I got mine from an 03 Windstar I believe it was. The 3" to 4" elbow was the hardest part to find. Nobody local had what I was looking for. I ended up having to order it online. I want to say it was between $5-15.

IMG_1672.JPG
intake.jpg
IMG_1717.JPG

Also, make sure you grab the large rubber grommet that inserts into the firewall. It is the piece on the right end of the intake (see first photo). On the vans I believe it was inserted in the driver side fender just after the headlight.

From what I can tell from pictures most people running this have stick shifts. I'm currently using a 42rle and the dip stick is squarely in the way.

Before I go and bend something wrong or put the intake on the shelf until I can change the transmission, any ideas?

From what I can tell from pictures most people running this have stick shifts. I'm currently using a 42rle and the dip stick is squarely in the way.

Before I go and bend something wrong or put the intake on the shelf until I can change the transmission, any ideas?

Carefully bend it out of the way.

I just added the windstar box to my jeep. What size hole did you drill in your cowl? I used 2.5 in drill for the hole and I think its just a little too small for the horn to fit through and make a good seal... did you guys file down the hole so the rubber garment would go through?

Also do you get a whistle noise around 2000-2500 RPM?

IIRC it was 3.25" or maybe 3.125" for the rubber grommet to fit in and the intake tube to fit inside that. I notice a whistle or a whoosh on mine. You'll get used to it.

I just added the windstar box to my jeep. What size hole did you drill in your cowl? I used 2.5 in drill for the hole and I think its just a little too small for the horn to fit through and make a good seal... did you guys file down the hole so the rubber garment would go through?

Also do you get a whistle noise around 2000-2500 RPM?
Did you grab the rubber cone that the windstar canister fits into? That is the hole size. I recall cutting the hole into the firewall at 3.25".

Mine came with a K&N CAI. I swapped the filter for an Amsoil dry filter and added an Outerwear pre filter. I also bought an oem setup to put it back to stock, but I've already used the space for other things.
I like the idea of running it to the cowl, but it's not a priority right now.

IIRC it was 3.25" or maybe 3.125" for the rubber grommet to fit in and the intake tube to fit inside that. I notice a whistle or a whoosh on mine. You'll get used to it.
Well crap I'll have to get another holesaw and make it a bit bigger...

Did you grab the rubber cone that the windstar canister fits into? That is the hole size. I recall cutting the hole into the firewall at 3.25".
I did, thats whats going through the firewall or cowl. I made my hole a bit to small...

A making a bigger hole won't be fun. I wonder if you can hot glue a piece of wood or steel inside the cowl to give the pilot bit something to grab.

Reactions: CR2 and Daryl
this is really interesting. does anyone have a picture of what it ended up looking like under the cowl itself?