Repainted your Jeep? Show me your colors

I realize what I’m about to ask depends on many factors, but what is average cost to paint a Jeep? Or what have you paid? Mine has lots of trail rash from the PO. It’s not mission critical but in the next 1-2 years I’m going to want it done. I want it done well, not some 149.99$ drive in paint job. Fire away 🔥🔥🔥😂😂😂

Here in the deep South, we were quoted $4-5K for a full repaint with a color change. Keeping the same color was $3-4K.

Yikes!! I may take the advice above and buy a gun and educate myself lol

I think there may be some wiggle room though...The front grille, hood, and windshield have lots of rock chips and OEM paint failure so there may be a bit more bodywork involved. If it were simply a refresh...It might be less. And the quotes I received were from two very different places; one reputable collision place I've had insurance claim work done at and a budget Maaco place. Realistically, I think I could get it down to under $3K if I strip all the unnecessary stuff off beforehand to save labor time.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I bought a beat up 2004 Willys at auction last year and ended up having to do a full rebuild (frame / floor pans / rockers / quarters) so I repainted it Chrysler White PW7. Used to be Willys Moss Green - wasn't a fan of the Green and the existing paint was beat. I do like the white / black much much better.

2004 TJ X Green Old.jpg

2004 TJ White New.jpg

I bought a beat up 2004 Willys at auction last year and ended up having to do a full rebuild (frame / floor pans / rockers / quarters) so I repainted it Chrysler White PW7. Used to be Willys Moss Green - wasn't a fan of the Green and the existing paint was beat. I do like the white / black much much better.

View attachment 191354

View attachment 191355
I love white on most any vehicle! I wanted a white TJ but couldn’t find one in decent shape, looks great!

What is the cost to repaint an LJ? Assuming you did a majority of the disassembly yourself.

All depends on the quality of paint job you want, as well as if it's a completely different color change, a respray of the factory color, etc.

What you just asked is akin to asking a contractor "How much is it to remodel my home?".

The answer varies wildly depending on what you want done.

Reactions: lowranger

View attachment 191354

View attachment 191355
So now it's just a white X model. I've had a few white Jeeps.
p.s. Did you keep the Camo waterproof seats? The Willys edition green top and flares are impossible to find anyway.
randy willys (.jpg

Last edited:
All depends on the quality of paint job you want, as well as if it's a completely different color change, a respray of the factory color, etc.

What you just asked is akin to asking a contractor "How much is it to remodel my home?".

The answer varies wildly depending on what you want done.
Oh for sure, really just curious about those who responded. What was the extent of their repaint and how much prep work did they do themselves.

Oh for sure, really just curious about those who responded. What was the extent of their repaint and how much prep work did they do themselves.

Oh, I gotcha.

It will certainly be a lot cheaper if you do all the prep work and remove the trim, etc.

Heck, if you do all that it's going to literally cut the project time in half.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
What is the cost to repaint an LJ? Assuming you did a majority of the disassembly yourself.
It depends on the painter and what you're having painted. Most of the time, you get what you pay for when it comes to paint and body work. The custom burnt orange TJ posted in post # 49 would prob cost $10k+ easily.

It also depends on if your tub body needs work before paint and what you’re having painted. Door jams? Floor? Tub underside? Firewall? Id hate to half ass it and paint half the tub, pop the hood only to see the prev color 😂

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I painted mine a couple years ago. Silverstone metallic PS5 - same as factory but it was Nason brand and not Dupont (that cost a lot more).

I did some half doors and the sides of the Jeep. The match was pretty poor. The metallic can look really crappy depending on the angle of the sun.

The paint is holding up well otherwise. Only bad spots are where I sanded down rust and bondo overtop. It is coming back through. (Rockers). Must cut out rust completely and replace with good metal.

I plan to redo and try again soon. This time I will spray the whole Jeep and make certain the body work is done better.

I think a good wetsanding and polishing might help the matching issue. I’m going to play around with that a little bit when it warms up in the spring. Good practice before I do the respray.

Here’s a couple pics that shows my issue with the sunlight angles. It’s pretty disappointing. Good thing I only spent about $200. Lots of time spent though (and Jeep downtime) but I guess that is the cost of learning.

784196E4-E112-48DB-8573-F8A93941A8AA.jpeg

F9174EC0-1974-4DCC-B3B4-E40A91C192CC.jpeg

Reactions: JMT

I'm doing my LJ myself (post #11) and I'm doing it on the cheap. I haven't added things up (and won't) but I doubt I'll have $500 CDN into it. I've restored cars, done a lot of metal and paint work but I haven't used single stage enamel (Tremclad/Rustoleum) since I was in high school. Nothing has changed, it still works. There are lots of videos on YouTube (not mine) if you want to look into it. It's pretty straight forward.

This is not a show car. It will get used, semi abused, year round and I like that if - when! - something goes wrong I'l be able to touch it up myself.