Repainted your Jeep? Show me your colors

I'm doing my LJ myself (post #11) and I'm doing it on the cheap. I haven't added things up (and won't) but I doubt I'll have $500 CDN into it. I've restored cars, done a lot of metal and paint work but I haven't used single stage enamel (Tremclad/Rustoleum) since I was in high school. Nothing has changed, it still works. There are lots of videos on YouTube (not mine) if you want to look into it. It's pretty straight forward.

This is not a show car. It will get used, semi abused, year round and I like that if - when! - something goes wrong I'l be able to touch it up myself.
I thought seriously about the rustoleum job. I actually tried rolling it onto my half doors (smoke gray) but I didn’t like how it turned out.

I decided if I am going to all the trouble of spraying it...an automotive epoxy paint that is much more durable is only $100 or so more. And a basecoat/clearcoat probably another $100.

So that extra bit of cost is worth it to me even if it would get used abused, etc. and automotive paint can be touched up too.

The only advantage I can see of enamel would be that it is cheaper.

That said, I look forward to seeing the results of your tremclad job and I’m sure it will look a lot nicer than my paintjob that I posted above!

Mine was repainted same color year and a half ago. Never once considered ever changing it.

View attachment 191048
That red paint looks great but I would do silver decals and the “sport” one is sitting too low. Great looking wheels too. The dark silver with the bright red paint looks nice. Silver decals would tie it all together and be factory correct color I think.

Reactions: jeepins
Decals are exactly in the factory locations and original decals were silver 'wrangler', silver 'Jeep' and royal blue 'Sport'.
Looks lower to me

4966CF5D-2F22-4B2A-9A44-2402958258FC.jpeg

C8CDC0C5-F0DF-46CE-95D1-84027BB2F092.jpeg

What primer and paint did you use?
PPG Epoxy primer (can't recall which one) and Tempo Aerospace paint. I figured if it can survive being on military aircraft, it should be ok on my Jeep. It'll be 2 years this spring, and it has held up really well.

Reactions: Vtx531
I thought seriously about the rustoleum job. I actually tried rolling it onto my half doors (smoke gray) but I didn’t like how it turned out.

I decided if I am going to all the trouble of spraying it...an automotive epoxy paint that is much more durable is only $100 or so more. And a basecoat/clearcoat probably another $100.

So that extra bit of cost is worth it to me even if it would get used abused, etc. and automotive paint can be touched up too.

The only advantage I can see of enamel would be that it is cheaper.

That said, I look forward to seeing the results of your tremclad job and I’m sure it will look a lot nicer than my paintjob that I posted above!

There are those who will argue one way or the other and I don’t think it will ever be decided, they both have their advantages. Back yard hot rodders have been using Rustoleum for years with very good results. My Dad managed a GM dealership auto body shop back in the ‘60s. He used what he had to at work but at home we used Tremclad on all our projects. We never had any issues with it. I later shot lacquers and acrylic enamels on full restorations but got away from painting all together for several years.

As for clear coats, you can apply it over single stage enamels or even cut your final colour coats with clear – 50% or so – wet sand, buff, polish, etc.

As for roller coating, the first car I helped on was a roller job when I was 13. It was my neighbour’s Brother’s stock car and he raced it that night. It looked great … from the bleachers.

As for price, definitely cheaper but that’s not always the main driver. This is a back yard, outdoors whatever the weather job … hot rod style. Too many variables to risk screwing up auto paint.

And again on price ... I have 4 Jeeps and 4 trailers to feed, so yes, it's a factor as is DIY! :)

user29786_pic106834_1601064174.jpg
20-11-19 3.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: HornedToad
There are those who will argue one way or the other and I don’t think it will ever be decided, they both have their advantages. Back yard hot rodders have been using Rustoleum for years with very good results. My Dad managed a GM dealership auto body shop back in the ‘60s. He used what he had to at work but at home we used Tremclad on all our projects. We never had any issues with it. I later shot lacquers and acrylic enamels on full restorations but got away from painting all together for several years.

As for clear coats, you can apply it over single stage enamels or even cut your final colour coats with clear – 50% or so – wet sand, buff, polish, etc.

As for roller coating, the first car I helped on was a roller job when I was 13. It was my neighbour’s Brother’s stock car and he raced it that night. It looked great … from the bleachers.

As for price, definitely cheaper but that’s not always the main driver. This is a back yard, outdoors whatever the weather job … hot rod style. Too many variables to risk screwing up auto paint.

And again on price ... I have 4 Jeeps and 4 trailers to feed, so yes, it's a factor as is DIY! :)

View attachment 217972View attachment 217973
Looks great! I’ll be painting mine outside as well. I did it in the garage last time and the lighting was inadequate but I didn’t realize it...until I rolled it out into the sunlight for the first time

I am one lying sumbich... sorry about that. I saw these and bam flashback.. yes I decided to split the other two decals the way I did because I thought it looked better since they were all the same color. And this is reflective tape so I wanted them muted but liked the effect these give off at night (and in daylight in certain conditions).

1610656842469.png

1610656860913.png

I had my Jeep repainted a few weeks ago. We took everything off we could before we left. Then took off a few more things when we got there. The less they have to do the less money it costs. I didn't change the color from Silver but I had them match the powder coated fenders that are brighter with bigger metal flakes. I knew if I was having the color changed, I would want everything silver stripped inside, and out.

We haven't finished putting the new tail lights on, spacers for the tires, and doing a few other odds and ends, so the photos suck inside the garage with awful lighting. The paint job came out really good, when I get it outside I'll take better photos.

Cost 1,200. I'm really happy looks amazing in real life.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

Last edited:
I am one lying sumbich... sorry about that. I saw these and bam flashback.. yes I decided to split the other two decals the way I did because I thought it looked better since they were all the same color. And this is reflective tape so I wanted them muted but liked the effect these give off at night (and in daylight in certain conditions).

View attachment 218006
View attachment 218007
It looks great.

I had my Jeep repainted a few weeks ago. We took everything off we could before we left. Then took off a few more things when we got there. The less they have to do the less money it costs. I didn't change the color from Silver but I had them match the powder coated fenders that are brighter with bigger metal flakes. I knew if I was having the color changed, I would want everything silver stripped inside, and out.

We haven't finished putting the new tail lights on, spacers for the tires, and doing a few other odds and ends, so the photos suck inside the garage with awful lighting. The paint job came out really good, when I get it outside I'll take better photos.

Cost 1,200. I'm really happy looks amazing in real life.

View attachment 218068

View attachment 218069

View attachment 218070
How far did they disassembly it? Were the windshield hinges removed when sprayed?

My girlfriends dad owns a body shop, and he’s Jeep crazy. I didn’t have the whole thing repainted, mainly because I’m a poor college student, but I did have all of the armor and bumpers rebedlined. He also bedlined the handles, mirrors, and hard top. He also re-sprayed the hood as well.
On the armor and hood he added red flake to the paint. It looks really good in the light.

6AF323AE-6FD7-4CE3-9727-8ADB9938DE50.jpeg

Last edited:
How far did they disassembly it? Were the windshield hinges removed when sprayed?
They didn't, we did. We took everything we could off, and still drive it there. Then when we got there we removed the tail lights, wiper arms, bumpers front, and back, you name it. We also removed the hardtop so they could paint the lip. The tail gate had been hit before I bought it, looked like it was open, and the PO backed into something since it still closed it he left it that way. I got a yellow tail gate for $50 bucks stripped it, had them hang it, and spray that. Then we put the lock, handle etc back on after we got it home. I also had them hang the new fender flares, not sure if the paint will hold on them. If they don't I'll just bring them back to black, pretty much everywhere we could we put rivet nuts so its easier to remove things.

The windshield hinges were a major PIA to remove the first time. Once removed we put them in a bucket of oil so the hinges now bend easily. The windshield frame was rotted on the bottom in a few places. We cut those parts out, put a replacement piece on the bottom I got on ebay. We put rubber pieces under all the hinges to prevent metal to metal rust.

I still think $1,200 was a good price for them to sand, put a primer, basecoat, and clear coat. I talked to the same guy, I talked to in 1985 when I had them paint my 1979 Camaro RS.

Reactions: Fouledplugs