Repairing frame and floor of my TJ

Simon692

Just got a quote of £900 to repair the corroded frame and floor support. The guy at the garage asked if I had seen the state of the drivers floor. He had lifted the carpet up and the floor had come up with it. For some reason, the Flintstones theme tune is now stuck in my head.

From being tempted to put the vehicle of an Internet auction website, I’m now very keen to get it repaired and on the road.

Just got a quote of £900 to repair the corroded frame and floor support. The guy at the garage asked if I had seen the state of the drivers floor. He had lifted the carpet up and the floor had come up with it. For some reason, the Flintstones theme tune is now stuck in my head.

From being tempted to put the vehicle of an Internet auction website, I’m now very keen to get it repaired and on the road.

What is the availability of TJs in England? Are they hard to come by? In the USA it's fairly easy to just get another, particularly in low rust states. Maybe you want to repair - if finding another in better condition is difficult in your area.

I've seen guys repair or replace Series Land Rover frames, and also the steel firewall area (the rest is mostly aluminum and so doesn't rust). 900 doesn't seem way out of line, if the job is done right, and afterward you have a solid frame/body that will last. Depends also if all the other components are solid, or if they will also require large expenditures.

Reactions: Ericict
By the way living in England, have you considered an old Land Rover Series vehicle? Most parts are dirt cheap, just got a bunch of parts delivered yesterday from an English dealer. And the aluminum body is a plus in terms of rust.

Check out my 1972 Series III 88 body compared to my poor 1985 CJ7. :( I would give my right arm if Jeep had made the CJ in aluminum.

The aluminum is like a row boat, even if the paint rubs off to bare metal, it still doesn't matter in terms of rust.

SeriesIII.jpg

CJ7rust.jpg

They make an aluminum replacement tub for CJ's. And a few other makes too. Aqualoo in Canada.

They make an aluminum replacement tub for CJ's. And a few other makes too. Aqualoo in Canada.

Saw that aluminum tub when I was researching body options. Looked nice for a higher cost restoration, but the price was too steep given my CJ7 overall condition. Also looked into fiberglass options, but seems like several manufactures got out of the business, mainly Shell Valley is one of the few left.

I know an aluminum tub is pricey, but it is a one time expense. You can give it to the grandkids and they can pass it down in perfect shape.