Replace heat shield or wrap it with heat tape, opinions?

TJBob

TJ Enthusiast
hey guys/gals. Recently ran across a self induced issue. I removed the stock exhaust heat shield from under my rig. I tried to save it by putting some washers on the screws to hold it in place. Lasted about a week... I know I know, I’m a big dummy. Heat shield is there for a reason 🤦🏼‍♂️.... But now I know that reason!! My floor pan is getting so hot, that my carpet and floor mat, on the rear passenger side, are now melting. Smells wonderful by the way. I had to put some aluminum foil under the carpet to keep it from sticking to the floor pan. The reason I removed the heat shield, it was flopping around and driving me crazy...er. So my question is, should I just replace the heat shield, or can I get away with heat taping the exhaust in that area? I’m open to other opinions/ideas as well... I’m inclined to say that replacing the heat shield is probably my best bet, but it was a pain in the ass to get the old one out, so I’m sure it’s gonna be two pains in the ass to get a new one in. What are your thoughts??
2DE4CC57-9635-40CD-A22F-811A58E617DE.jpeg
EDA842E0-81F7-4366-AC08-DD0D143E285D.jpeg

Be gentle lol!

Best bet is probably try to find an OE from a scrapyard or something. Otherwise, there are a number of very high performance heat wraps meant for motorcycle exhausts. I have one that turned it from melting through a boot to almost cool to the touch.

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking heat wrap should work, but didn’t know if anyone had tried it for the same issue I have. Or if it would cause any other issues. The problem area is directly above the muffler part of the exhaust. So I’d be wrapping the muffler, and about a foot on either side of it. I don’t know much about exhaust. So, further Issues I’m concerned about is trapping the excess heat inside the muffler. Since heat wrap is essentially insulation, is there a said amount of heat that needs to dissipate in that area of the exhaust? I wouldn’t want to cause premature failure to the muffler if it isn’t supposed to exceed a certain temperature. Maybe I’m over thinking it?

I wrapped a set of exhaust I built for one of my old Harley’s, still got really hot, best bet is to get the heat shield. You can still wrap it if you want, but don’t rely on just the wrap. The muffler section won’t be as hot as that Harley exhaust header, but you may still have issues.
Soak the wrap in water before you use. I put a set of heat shields on then wrapped and that seemed to keep my leg from getting cooked.
Shameless photo opportunity.
C308E6D9-96FF-4764-A660-86AD1ED9D89C.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I wouldn't wrap an exhaust with header wrap. It will rot out, especially if moisture gets trapped in there. Living in Indiana, I can pretty much guarantee that will happen (as well as salt).

I've had a number of exhausts ceramic coated, and that stuff makes an absolutely incredible difference. Last set of headers I had done in ceramic coating you could actually touch even after racing around for an hour. That's how good the stuff works. It's not that expensive either and lasts a long, long time.

I wouldn't wrap an exhaust with header wrap. It will rot out, especially if moisture gets trapped in there. Living in Indiana, I can pretty much guarantee that will happen (as well as salt).

I've had a number of exhausts ceramic coated, and that stuff makes an absolutely incredible difference. Last set of headers I had done in ceramic coating you could actually touch even after racing around for an hour. That's how good the stuff works. It's not that expensive either and lasts a long, long time.
Funny you should mention salt, that was my next concern with the wrap.

I like the idea of ceramic coating. Is that something that is done at a shop, or is there a product out there, that I can do it myself? Looking more and more like my best bet is to get another heat shield... dang it lol!

Now that I’m going to be looking for a heat shield, is the an upgrade available or just stick with OEM?

Funny you should mention salt, that was my next concern with the wrap.

I like the idea of ceramic coating. Is that something that is done at a shop, or is there a product out there, that I can do it myself? Looking more and more like my best bet is to get another heat shield... dang it lol!

Now that I’m going to be looking for a heat shield, is the an upgrade available or just stick with OEM?

Ceramic coating is something done at a shop. You take your exhaust in and they media blast it, then apply the coating. That stuff works wonders, I kid you not.

I would just stick with an OEM heatshield. With the exception of ceramic coat, nothing else will be that much of an improvement.

Ceramic coating is something done at a shop. You take your exhaust in and they media blast it, then apply the coating. That stuff works wonders, I kid you not.

I would just stick with an OEM heatshield. With the exception of ceramic coat, nothing else will be that much of an improvement.
Gotcha thanks brother.

Reactions: Chris