Replaced front calipers

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My TJ has all new pads and rotors front and rear. New calipers in the rear and I finally got around to replacing the front calipers today. I left those as low hanging fruit due to the fact the originals were working just fine. No issues (so I thought). I couldn't have been more incorrect. Replaced the calipers and holy cow, vastly improved the braking capability. At a guess, it cut the stopping distance in half, much smoother and stops straight as an arrow. Moral of the story? There is no such thing as over doing it with your brakes and there is a huge difference between good and great.

Did you do a complete brake fluid change? That will help a lot in keeping the calipers working like new for a long time.

I previously flushed the rear fluid out with the caliper replacement there, and I just flushed the front. I will flush the whole system again, waiting for the adapter for the just received power flusher. (time for me to enter the 21st century). The brake fluid was a bit dark. The PO had replaced the master cylinder by the look of it.

Reactions: ac_
If you just flushed the rear all the way and now the front all the way then you should be in pretty good shape.

Maybe your old calipers were starting to stick?
I have no doubt the right one was beginning to stick. While I could retract the pistons, I think the right one was going on strike. In the past I considered calipers a component to repair or replace when failure occurred, I have re-categorized them as maintenance items requiring refreshing on a predictable basis. Brake fluid integrity no doubt plays a role, but if you just rebuild or replace every five years, you can't go wrong. Cheap enough to do and no downside.

Reactions: Chris
NO part of the brake system should fail before you bother to fix it!😠 That's my ass on the line too when you roll through the intersection!😵