Replaced fuel pump strainers now no fuel pressure

Leinhit

TJ Enthusiast
2001 TJ 4 liter

I replaced my rusted-out fuel tank skid plate. While it was out I took the fuel pump out and replaced both of the strainers with new. I replaced the large round rubber gasket as well.

Put everything back together I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump come on momentarily each to pressurize but I'm not getting any gas to the engine. Wont start.

There is no fuel pressure coming out of the valve on the fuel rail either.

there is no fuel filter along the frame rail, apparently someone in the past replace the fuel line and didn't replace that.

suggestions or ideas?

the fuel pump seems to be working but no fuel is reaching the engine.

Could it be something with where the gas line connects to the fuel line coming out of the gas tank? It just pressed on with the plastic clip, does it have to go so far in as to open a little door or something in there?

do I need to bleed the air out of the fuel line somehow? Like open the fuel rail valve while someone else cranks the engine over?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Silly question but are you sure you have gas? You don't need to bleed air. I don't think you need to push the lines in to open a door. If the lines aren't on correctly they will leak. There is no external filter on a TJ. You might need to cycle the key many times to fully prime the system. If you didn't crush or pinch a line like dbb1 suggested you might have a problem with how the fuel pump was mounted. The top line might have disconnected or broken inside the tank.

2001 TJ 4 liter

I replaced my rusted-out fuel tank skid plate. While it was out I took the fuel pump out and replaced both of the strainers with new. I replaced the large round rubber gasket as well.

Put everything back together I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump come on momentarily each to pressurize but I'm not getting any gas to the engine. Wont start.

There is no fuel pressure coming out of the valve on the fuel rail either.

there is no fuel filter along the frame rail, apparently someone in the past replace the fuel line and didn't replace that.

suggestions or ideas?

the fuel pump seems to be working but no fuel is reaching the engine.

Could it be something with where the gas line connects to the fuel line coming out of the gas tank? It just pressed on with the plastic clip, does it have to go so far in as to open a little door or something in there?

do I need to bleed the air out of the fuel line somehow? Like open the fuel rail valve while someone else cranks the engine over?

Thanks

I'd re-check the fuel connection on top of the tank, it may not have clicked into place. There's no need to bleed air from anything and there is no fuel filter along the rail. The only fuel filter in a TJ is the fuel filter located inside the fuel pressure regulator that sits on top of the tank.

I'd re-check the fuel connection on top of the tank, it may not have clicked into place. There's no need to bleed air from anything and there is no fuel filter along the rail. The only fuel filter in a TJ is the fuel filter located inside the fuel pressure regulator that sits on top of the tank.
Thanks for the quick reply

So I got under there real quick and I disconnected the fuel line where it comes off of the fuel tank and into the metal fuel line just above the rear differential.

I then had someone turn the key to the on position and the fuel pump came on for a few seconds however no fuel came out of that line. Should fuel be able to come out when it's disconnected or is there a little valve or door that only opens when the fuel lines inserted?

I then reattach the fuel lines making sure that it clicked and seemed to be fully inserted and then try to start the jeep with no starting results again.

Fuel pump keeps coming on every time when you turn the key but just for a few seconds.

I wasn't aware of a fuel filter inside a pressure regulator on top of the tank, I did change the two strainers that were down inside the tank attached to the fuel pump.

I can't believe the fuel pump went bad just from taking it out and replacing the strainers and it comes on when you turn the key to the on position.

Thoughts?

Pinched your fuel line?
perhaps I will have to lower the whole fuel tank again which is a lot of work just to view it up there and check I don't think so but anything's possible

Silly question but are you sure you have gas? You don't need to bleed air. I don't think you need to push the lines in to open a door. If the lines aren't on correctly they will leak. There is no external filter on a TJ. You might need to cycle the key many times to fully prime the system. If you didn't crush or pinch a line like dbb1 suggested you might have a problem with how the fuel pump was mounted. The top line might have disconnected or broken inside the tank.
I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank once it was all re installed.

Then I even took the Jeep off of the car ramps thinking maybe fuel wasnt getting to the fuel pump. Now I don't have a good way of putting the ramps back under to give me more room to work. LOL.

ugh I even debated about replacing the strainers thinking if it's not broke don't fix it.

Where are you located? Maybe someone can help out.
Michigan,. 30 min mins North of Grand Rapids...

I'm thinking I'm gonna lower the tank just enough to check for a pinched line,. Then decide if I need to take it all the way off again.
Sigh.....

Take a look at these pictures please. I dropped the tank and took the fuel pump out again.

the first time I took the pump out of the fuel reservoir after I took it out of the tank it came out very difficultly.

When I was done doing my work I found a small rubber gasket laying on my workbench.

I wasn't sure if it came from the fuel pump at the time or not, but now I suspect maybe it did.

In the first picture is the picture of the gasket I'm speaking of.

The second picture is of the fuel pickup tube, I noticed there is a rubber gasket similar to the mystery one where it connects to the fuel pump.

I'm wondering if that small rubber gasket is supposed to go on top of the tube where it rides under the spring and up against the top of the plastic housing to allow the fuel a good seal to go up and out of the fuel line and out of the tank.? Without that gasket would the fuel just splash back down in the tank? This is all assuming that rubber gasket gasket from the pump.

What do you think? If I could find a detailed diagram of the whole pump assembly maybe it will show it.

Thank you
9c9777702989f1d832242b8d1b13c280.jpg
ad88112d4f563814d4a9344b183a58d2.jpg
d13e9467026cd8a68670823d59b5e6b7.jpg

When I was done doing my work I found a small rubber gasket laying on my workbench.

"There's always some extra parts when I put them back together"

Glad you found the problem, too bad you had to pull the tank. No idea where you can get a new one of those except on a new assembly. Hopefully the one you have will work.

"There's always some extra parts when I put them back together"

Glad you found the problem, too bad you had to pull the tank. No idea where you can get a new one of those except on a new assembly. Hopefully the one you have will work.
Oh it's not fixed yet, I awaiting the experts here input. I'm not entirely sure that rubber gasket goes on the pickup tube or even came from the assembly at all.

I haven't found a pump diagram yet if any one has a link please..

No replies on a detailed fuel pump parts diagram... Anyone have a good picture of the fuel pump OUT of the fuel reservoir that might show the fuel pick up tube and if there is a rubber gasket on the top of it?

FIXED...

That rubber gasket I showed in the pic above did go on top of the pick up tube, after days of searching for a diagram I found this pic at Rock Auto...

It was part of a rebuild kit and the only one I found.. it confirm rubber gaskets on both ends of the pick up tube..

I reinstalled everything and started right up

0a92364d77084420fda8accffa83beed.jpg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford