Replaced Headlights with Truck-Lite Knockoffs

Pre-wired lighting harnesses for driving lights are inexpensive to buy, they're all over sites like eBay and Amazon.com.

Though for LED headlights like we're talking about above, you don't need to add a wiring harness. They are plug and play, they plug into the OE wiring harness with no modifications needed anywyere. And because LED headlights draw so much less power than the OE headlights did, no relay is needed either.

For driving lights, yes there are...I suppose you could adapt one for use with the H4 conversion. I looked into it, but in the end it was better to build my own. Sorry to pull the thread off topic, just wanted to add content as someone was expressing concern over ice and snow obscuring LED headlights due to their lower current draw (thus lower heat output)

Thank you CodaMan, I received them today and they're installed. It probably took longer to get the packaging opened and the lights out than it did to install them.

The only tool you need is this, a T-15 torx with a long skinny shaft on it to reach the screws. No other tools are needed.

View attachment 19884

As CodaMan said, they're literally plug and play.

View attachment 19888

There are 3 screws that hold the bezel in, remove them. Once the bezel is gone, look for the four standard screws with the T-15 heads on them that hold the below ring on which is what holds the headlight in place. The part you don't want to mess up are to remove only those four T-15 screws. There are several headlight aiming adjustment screws that are also in there that you don't want to accidentally unscrew. If you don't touch the adjustment screws, the new LED headlights should be aimed very close if not right on once you get them screwed into place. I'll see how close mine are tonight once it gets dark.

I cannot believe that just this past Saturday I was hanging all over a friend's TJ drooling over her new LED headlights not dreaming I'd have my own anytime soon. :D

View attachment 19889

View attachment 19890

View attachment 19897

Thanks CodaMan for the find and Jerry for the instructions! This is very helpful- I'm ordering mine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I hate you guys a little bit. I just ordered these lights and now I need to explain why to my long suffering wife.

You could throw something in the amazon order for her... like a new book or lipgloss or whatever she likes.... and then when the box comes, she'll be excited you got her a little something special! Otherwise known as a bribe.

You could throw something in the amazon order for her... like a new book or lipgloss or whatever she likes.... and then when the box comes, she'll be excited you got her a little something special! Otherwise known as a bribe.

HAhahaha...This. My new wheel adapters came today, with some of the expensive lipgloss she likes. That was an easy 20 bucks to spend!

Reactions: StG58
HAhahaha...This. My new wheel adapters came today, with some of the expensive lipgloss she likes. That was an easy 20 bucks to spend!

Exactly! And when she asks what's in the box... you say oh, just some stuff from amazon... I got you a little something too!

Reactions: Blondie70 and StG58
Exactly! And when she asks what's in the box... you say oh, just some stuff from amazon... I got you a little something too!

"I ordered you that lip gloss you like sweetheart, and since Amazon had a deal on shipping if I ordered more than $X I threw in some ..."

Genius!

As awesome as the price is for these knock-offs and how great they seem to be, makes me speak up for Truck Lite and other companies in the off road world. Hell, Truck Lite was born out of the idea of safety in mind, it's a little ironic that knock-offs are usually cheap and oftentimes safety is an afterthought. These knock-off lights violate intellectual property rights of the designers, no way around it.

Obviously, I don't condune counterfeiting nor do I support it with more funding, if and when I can. Especially when it is so blatant. I appreciate and respect companies like Truck Lite, willing to spend money on research, design, engineering, and manufacturing for our TJ's (and other Jeep models) here in the USA. Counterfeiting happens, it's going to happen, but it's a shame, to then lose money and busisness to folks here willing too dog Rough Country and other cheap companies for their cheap products. Yet jump on this without hesitation.

I understand the theory that knock-offs could be made in the same factory as the real ones. But the probability of that depends on if the knock-off is even stamped, which then brings up the validity of the stamp since it is in fact a knock-off. Rigid/Truck Lite is transparent where they manufacture their products and have lifetime warranties.

Bash away. I just wanted to voice my opinion. And like all opinions, I could very well be wrong or maybe I am just biased to USA. Nor am I saying I am better than any of you. I am not. Nor am I attacking OP.

Last edited:
If these knock-offs were not made in the USA, England, Germany, or Mexico then they are not made in the same factory.
Don't be so sure, Truck-Lite's 27270C is the model that is used in our Jeeps and it's made in China.

Truck-Lite 1.JPG

I think that I remember once upon a time, Truck Lites were made in the USA. That isn't the case however anymore, and it isn't the case for most manufacturing. Sad, but true. Going any further into this discussion would be delving into politics, and I'm not even going to touch that one.

Any aftermarket LED headlight you buy these days will be made in China... Count on it.

Don't be so sure, Truck-Lite's 27270C is the model that is used in our Jeeps and it's made in China.

View attachment 20057

Im concerned that you are not understanding my point. Did you even read the post? My major point was counterfeiting and ripping off reputable companies (Truck-lite) that build and design new innovative products for our TJ's/LJ's.

While I am not sure if I would put all my stock in what that Amazon screenshot shows. I can understand why one would.

But what would the difference be if I showed a reputable website (http://www.truck-lite.com/content/about/locations) that stated they design, engineer, and manufacture in the USA? What would make your screen shot more correct than one of mine that countered yours?

Like Chris said it becomes "political," talk. As we have no definitive proof of what or if manufacturering happens in China for Truck lite.

The Truck-lite website list thier manufacturing plants on their website,(http://www.truck-lite.com/content/about/locations) which never mentions China. And then there is your amazon screenshot that counters their website and states it's origin is, China. Not sure why one would hold more weight in truthfullness than the other.

While this does not rule out the fact some of their stuff COULD be made or sourced in China. Posting a screenshot? I like to believe the Truck Lite/Rigid website is truthful. But like anyone I don't just trust, I like to VERIFY. I admit that would be hard to do for a lot of products. Search TruckLite China and you will find plenty of "TruckLite," LED's, real cheap. That doesn't mean they are orginal and true. I'm not sure anyone can say 100% that Truck Lite is not manufactured in the USA. A statement like that is spreading a rumor. Walk into their Penn plant.

No real way to solve the debate that I can think of at the moment. At the end of the day isn't it better to support a company providing jobs for Americans instead of counterfeiters? Counterfeiting, that was my point from my first post.

Last edited:
... Major point was counterfeiting and ripping off reputable companies (Truck-lite) that build and design new innovative products for our TJ's/LJ's...

I don't see where Truck-Lite has any patents on this product, so counterfeiting doesn't come into play.

I don't see where Truck-Lite has any patents on this product, so counterfeiting doesn't come into play.

I don't believe they do. They were first to the market with this headlight design as I remember, but it was just a matter of time before someone knocked them off.

My understanding is that like Apple, Truck Lite headlights are designed in the USA, but built in China. Such is the case with a lot of stuff.

Reactions: LTTJ and CodaMan
Does anyone know if there is a definitive difference in quality between a generic LED vs a CREE LED? Im asking because this light (below link) seems to be exactly the same specs, the differences being it's a CREE, $25 more and has a two year warranty. I can't decide which to choose:

War-horse 7" Inch Round LED Headlights High/Low Beam for Jeep Wrangler CJ JK TJ 97-2016 Motorcycle Offroad Vehicles - Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4Y19WI/?tag=wranglerorg-20