Replaced Headlights with Truck-Lite Knockoffs

Does anyone know if there is a definitive difference in quality between a generic LED vs a CREE LED? Im asking because this light (below link) seems to be exactly the same specs, the differences being it's a CREE, $25 more and has a two year warranty. I can't decide which to choose:

War-horse 7" Inch Round LED Headlights High/Low Beam for Jeep Wrangler CJ JK TJ 97-2016 Motorcycle Offroad Vehicles - Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4Y19WI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Not sure if it matters to you, some of the reviews are paid reviews. The reviews paid mention it in their review. Just an FYI.

Jeeps IMO are built to take on water crossings and other wet/rainy type weather. One of the users stated to be sure to superglue the seams between the housing and lens as they are not sealed. One user mentioned the lens having condensation inside the lens. The superglue mod is what he/she used to fix their new LED's you linked.

Depending on your state or personal prefrence also be aware the lights you linked are not DOT compliant. Not sure why they wouldn't be...One user mentions it on the site. But I thought War Horse sold DOT certified lights based on a prev post in this thread.

Last edited:
Not sure if it matters to you, some of the reviews are paid reviews.

Good call! I was so caught up in the spec comparison, I didn't give a good read to all the reviews. Also, the photo they provide doesn't show what I'd expect to see for the wiring at the rear of the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it matters to you, some of the reviews are paid reviews.

I took a look at all the WarHorse reviews and didn't see anything within the 9 mention water seepage or discounts for their 'honest review.' Are you talking about the brand the OP was referencing?

Does anyone know if there is a definitive difference in quality between a generic LED vs a CREE LED? Im asking because this light (below link) seems to be exactly the same specs, the differences being it's a CREE, $25 more and has a two year warranty. I can't decide which to choose:

War-horse 7" Inch Round LED Headlights High/Low Beam for Jeep Wrangler CJ JK TJ 97-2016 Motorcycle Offroad Vehicles - Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4Y19WI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I wish I could find the article, but I read something a while back (somewhere), that mentioned the CREE thing as being nothing but a ploy to make more money.

I took a look at all the WarHorse reviews and didn't see anything within the 9 mention water seepage or discounts for their 'honest review.' Are you talking about the brand the OP was referencing?

In my previous post in this thread and the post that you quoted, I am only talking about the lights in the Amazon link that you provided.

Speaking to the paid reviews, example Matthew Pual reviewed it on Sep 22,2016. He gave the review (guess what)5 stars in return he got the product at a discount. Hence why I used the term, "paid reviews."

I never mentioned water seepage. What I said was that a user had condensation behind his lens and suggested future users use "superglue" to seal the lens to the housing when purchasing the product. Usually a sign of low quality OR a high quality product that snuck through with a defect. It happens.

That issue could be falsely thought to be a unsealeed lens and the user who think they are "sealing" his/her headlights with superglue is mistankly sealing what is know as mouisture vents and IS needed. Not sure.

Copy paste from the link you provided:

"It has not faded as of yet, if you do buy a set make sure you seal the edge of the lense where it meets the housing or they will fog up. I used liquid nails clear glue, it's available at Home Depot.
By Paul H on January 8, 2017"

Nothing points to the fact weather Pual H works for War horse or not, because War Horse did point out that they are DOT compliant later in a post correcting others (myself included here) in the Amazon link you provided.

All Small details. But good information for a informed consumer nonetheless IMO.

If you are concerned about the wiring in the photos, the 3 wire entrace on the housing in the pictures are their old generation. The new generation headlight uses a chrome sealed single wire. If you order from the link you provided you will get the newset generation that uses the sealed single wire.

Maybe the prev poster, LiamJ could provide that wiring info on the headlight since he stated he just purchased them.

Reactions: Chris
The War-horse? If so, I'd like to hear your opinion, since mr 'bad news' got me thinking the worst [emoji12]

:nusee:There was no malice behind my post or any of my post. Only facts that I felt were important to a consumer. I would want to know if people we suggesting supergluing the lens to the housing to prevent condensation on a product I was about to actually pay for. To me it speaks to product quality. Sorry you felt I was Mr. bad news. ;)

Last edited:
Well one of my headlights is out and I think I might go with these. Are they still working good for the guys running them? Any other suggestions?
FYI I found them on eBay for $84.02
I have been pretty happy with the eBay headlamps I put on my dodge and run with some high end bulbs.

Paid reviews are all over Amazon, yes, it's true. However, not all of them are paid. I think with something like this, you're not spending such a large amount of money that it's a huge risk. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them and try them out. I mean hey, if they went bad in 6 months, leave a scathing review on Amazon. The sellers don't want that, so they might even give you a set of free replacements to make you happy.

Trust me, in this day and age, the name of the game is customer service. You want your customers to be happy, because otherwise they'll just go somewhere else.

Reactions: MikeM
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Sorry you felt I was Mr. bad news. ;)

lol, I was busting chops, man. Mr Bad News or Fouledplugs.....almost the same ;)

Im all seriousness, I do appreciate you're observance. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of a possible 'amazing deal' and even though they're not that expensive, I'd like them to last as long as possible. I'm positive everyone here shares that same sentiment.

Cheers, man.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Well one of my headlights is out and I think I might go with these. Are they still working good for the guys running them? Any other suggestions?
FYI I found them on eBay for $84.02
I have been pretty happy with the eBay headlamps I put on my dodge and run with some high end bulbs.
So far so good

I got the Warhorse ones mentioned by @fourpointzero few months ago ( they were shipped from China, not fulfilled by Amazon's at the time ). The pattern is a little weird (but much brighter,wider) so I was going to return them. I put in a return request in Amazons interface and the next day the Warhorse refunded it but told me I did not need to return them. So I ended up getting them for free.

I suppose they did not think it was worth it to ship back to China. The customs waybill showed a worth of $20 rather than the $150 I paid for them.

Last edited: