Replaced Headlights with Truck-Lite Knockoffs

I just came across this thread and while sort of off topic but related. Do you find it best to replace/paint the chrome bezel to black?. Also, as of today (December, 2018) how are these LED holding up and still a preferred replacement/upgrade?

Reactions: dbcrum
I just came across this thread and while sort of off topic but related. Do you find it best to replace/paint the chrome bezel to black?. Also, as of today (December, 2018) how are these LED holding up and still a preferred replacement/upgrade?
Had the headlights for a month or two. So far so good.

As far as black bezels, like Chris said is preference. I bought those black ones from amazon, had them in for a few days and decided I actually preferred the chrome stock ones. But I do think think look good with certain lighter colored TJs. Just was too much for my patriot blue Jeep to go with the black grill inserts.

Reactions: dbcrum
Chinese knockoffs... is anyone bothered that the chinese infringe, steal US Intellectual Property all the time.. and the Truck Lites could be one of the victims?

Reactions: Mr. Bills
I am a greatly concerned of Chinese knockoffs and at one point in my life my buying habits were along the made in USA products. However, being a retired senior who has less than stellar eyesight, on a fixed income with a 19 year old Wrangler to say I need better night driving is an under statement. If I had an extra $600 to $800 lying around my choice would be obvious but unfortunately not my situation. At this moment in time deciding on $200 Chinese lights for safety as opposed to Intellectual Property is a no brainer in my situation and have to leave the latter to powers above my pay grade. I cannot afford to trade my Jeep (nor would I be inclined to do so). In fact many of us are in possession of Chinese goods (knowingly or not) for which we have little control. If it were illegal then my thought process would be different but as it is I am having to weigh a moral decision of safety around me and my disabled wife.

Just ordered the lights posted by the OP. Definitely in need of an upgrade, and these appear to be working well for those who have tried them.

This site has so much great information. I appreciate everyone's willingness to share.

I installed mine last week. An incredible difference. Only problem I encountered was the retaining rings. 3 of 4 tabs on one were rusted out and two of the tabs on the other one. I replaced those but ended up having to split the new rings to get them around the new lights. Just took a few extra minutes with the Dremel to correct. Awesome being able to see at night again.

I returned mine this week. Great light output until I turned on the radio. Had mass interference with them on

Hi, I am assuming you used the WHDZ lights from the OP? Also wondering if you have the stock radio or aftermarket unit? I haven't seen this issue reported before with these lights on a TJ, so it would be good to report your setup so that others can compare. My WHDZ's are running great with my $100 Kenwood single DIN stereo and others are using them without issues as well. I think either you got a bad set or your your setup is somehow different than others.

That said, this is a somewhat common issue after installing LED's. You might be able to try and fix this issue by using an EMI filter (ferrite ring or bead) on the headlamp harness wires:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWC5ZTW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here is an example of someone working on this issue in a truck:

Might be worth a try for someone if they encounter this issue.

Hi, I am assuming you used the WHDZ lights from the OP? Also wondering if you have the stock radio or aftermarket unit? I haven't seen this issue reported before with these lights on a TJ, so it would be good to report your setup so that others can compare. My WHDZ's are running great with my $100 Kenwood single DIN stereo and others are using them without issues as well. I think either you got a bad set or your your setup is somehow different than others.

That said, this is a somewhat common issue after installing LED's. You might be able to try and fix this issue by using an EMI filter (ferrite ring or bead) on the headlamp harness wires:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWC5ZTW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here is an example of someone working on this issue in a truck:

Might be worth a try for someone if they encounter this issue.
Stock. If I had a strong signal, I don’t think it would have been as bad. Just didn’t want to screw with it.

Reactions: mots
I am a greatly concerned of Chinese knockoffs and at one point in my life my buying habits were along the made in USA products. However, being a retired senior who has less than stellar eyesight, on a fixed income with a 19 year old Wrangler to say I need better night driving is an under statement. If I had an extra $600 to $800 lying around my choice would be obvious but unfortunately not my situation. At this moment in time deciding on $200 Chinese lights for safety as opposed to Intellectual Property is a no brainer in my situation and have to leave the latter to powers above my pay grade. I cannot afford to trade my Jeep (nor would I be inclined to do so). In fact many of us are in possession of Chinese goods (knowingly or not) for which we have little control. If it were illegal then my thought process would be different but as it is I am having to weigh a moral decision of safety around me and my disabled wife.
Not that I wish for you to change your ethics, situational or otherwise but your justification for why you can buy a knock off is the impetus for me having just about quit designing products for the TJ. I'm weary of me spending my intellectual currency for sometimes months on end to finally get a product nailed down and solve all the little issues that separate an okay product from a very good product only to have someone buy one and copy most of the good about it. Since their development cost is minimal and they don't have to amortize that into the cost of each item until is it paid back, they have an big advantage in what they can sell it for and I lose instantly. If I match their price when I try to sell it, I lose all the time and money I spent developing the product. Typically I also lose a reasonable profit since they have no vested interest in maintaining a quality level or perceived value and operate on very small margins.

Not picking on you, just illustrating the other side of knock offs.

I wonder if Mahindras were street legal in the U.S. people would buy those instead also..."I wanted a removable top 4x4, but didn't want to spend what they're charging for a real Jeep..."