Replaced Headlights with Truck-Lite Knockoffs

After 18 months my WHDZ lights failed. . . . 6 months out of warranty. . . .

. . . I can't get [mine] aimed correctly. I think I might just purchase authentic ones. . . .

3it5qy.jpg

This was the route I would have eventually gone had my wife not bought me the J.W.Speakers for Christmas 8 yrs ago. I am definitely pleased with them, but if one goes out am I gonna fork out the $$$ for a new pair? Probably not, do I just buy one and hope the light output matches and the other lasts “forever”? Again probably not. I’m hoping they last as long as they state they will and they don’t get damaged, forcing me to replace them, but when the time comes I will go with the Hella E-codes. It simply makes sense $$$-wise, even with knock-offs the replacement cost is higher than H-4’s, plus the Chinese copies are crap as far as QA/QC.

Are these the same as in OP? They look the same to me. They are on sale for a few extra dollars off. This is probably because it is the Chinese New year right now so nothing will ship until at least the first.

Aliexpress US $63.48 20%OFF | Truck-Lite Style 7" Round Heated LED Headlights with H4 to H13 for Jeep JK Wrangler 2 door to 4 door
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sm1HJy

Are these the same as in OP? They look the same to me. They are on sale for a few extra dollars off. This is probably because it is the Chinese New year right now so nothing will ship until at least the first.

Aliexpress US $63.48 20%OFF | Truck-Lite Style 7" Round Heated LED Headlights with H4 to H13 for Jeep JK Wrangler 2 door to 4 door
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sm1HJy

They look the same. But mine were 80w not 36w.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=174090856814

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This ad is a bit confusing. The title says 80w but the fine print says 36w. How long did you have to wait for them to make it to you?

Just sent a message to the seller and they said they are 80w.

7Inch LED Headlight:
Power: 36W
Dimension: 7Inch

Lens Material: PMMA
LED Chip: Cree Chips
Lifespan: 50,000 Hours

Working Voltage: 10V-30V DC
Lumens: Hi: 3600LM;Lo: 2400LM
Working Temperature: -40~80 Degree Celsius
Certifications: DOT, CE, RoHS, ISO9002, IP67

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I was about to say the same thing.
This ad is a bit confusing. The title says 80w but the fine print says 36w. How long did you have to wait for them to make it to you?

Just sent a message to the seller and they said they are 80w.

7Inch LED Headlight:
Power: 36W
Dimension: 7Inch

Lens Material: PMMA
LED Chip: Cree Chips
Lifespan: 50,000 Hours

Working Voltage: 10V-30V DC
Lumens: Hi: 3600LM;Lo: 2400LM
Working Temperature: -40~80 Degree Celsius
Certifications: DOT, CE, RoHS, ISO9002, IP67
One more detail the listing I linked shows is "15w on low beam and 36w on high beam". I'd be interested to see what the low beam rating is on the 80w sets. I'll keep reading.

Maybe the 80w's is BS then. It says it takes 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. Honestly I don't remember how long it took to get to me.

Maybe they're doing the same thing as residential light bulbs and the 80w is the incandescent equivalent in light output to this 36W led light.

Maybe they're doing the same thing as residential light bulbs and the 80w is the incandescent equivalent in light output to this 36W led light.

More than likely it's just to get you to buy their light! lol! I believe about half of what I read on ebay specs. Or any companies specs for that matter. ;)

I wonder what the wattage is on the real Trucklite of this model? I'm sure it's 36w.

Either way my lights that I bought off of ebay are great. I couldn't be happier.

I wonder where you guys bought your lights that are having a hard time to get them to adjust. Mine were tight to get into the fittings. I wonder if maybe they are not seating all the way and are thus crooked. Mine took quite a bit of pressure to get seated.

But I left my adjustment alone. As the lights I had in before were perfectly aligned. These aligned the same way - perfectly.

It is a bit jarring to see that much light being put out of the front of your Jeep. Have you guys with adjustment problems driven around to see if anyone is flashing you? Got pics of your lights against a building or something. So we could see your cut off points? I've never gotten one flash. So it's either got to be a bad housing from the place you bought them from (which you should be able to return. Unless it's China.), they are jamming up and not seating properly, or the light itself is focused wrong inside. Right? That's all I can think of.

I would return them and try to buy from another supplier. Maybe you just got a bum set. There are to many guys in this thread and on this forum running them successfully - for all but a small percentage to be bad. It's why us cheaper bastards glommed onto them. They were $65 lights that worked like $400(?) ones. LOL!

Trucklite 27270c shows "voltage 12/24, current minor 1.45, current major 2.90", but they don't show watts.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192890399998
This eBay listing shows
High/Low Beam:12.8v, 1.80a (low beam), 3.60 amps (high beam)

TL
12.8v at 1.45a is 18.56w (12v at 1.45a is 17.4w)
12.8v at 2.95a is 37.8w (12v at 2.90a is 34.8w)

Ebay
12.8v at 1.80a is 23.04w (12v at 1.80a is 21.6w)
12.8 at 3.60a is 46.08w (12v at 3.60a is 43.2w)

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret the difference between the stated 15w/35w on eBay...

36W LED would be close to 200W incandescent. If they're rated 3600 lumens then 36W makes sense. More or less, it seems companies like nice round numbers, and sometimes a standard emerges, like 36W headlights, for no real reason. It's mostly just marketing BS.

Am I about to lose my only source of under hood lighting since my factory Underwood light was broken when I got my the back in 2007? I didn't realize the factory lights have a backlighting effect.

Just curious, are the led headlights setup to have a left and right bulb?

20200130_205432.jpg

Last post is from Dec 2019, my TJ is new to me as of May 2020. Anyone have long term feedback on these lights?

Last post is from Dec 2019, my TJ is new to me as of May 2020. Anyone have long term feedback on these lights?
I’ve had mine in for over a year. Still very happy with them. No issues.

Mine let in water durning a crazy snow/slush storm while wheeling. When I got home I pulled the cover off, cleaned it, and ran a bead of RTV to seal it back up. I haven't had an issue since. At this point I'd buy again.

Reactions: rasband and tworley
I'm making my way through the thread, but if somebody wants to throw up a TL/DR summary on the OP's originally Amazon linked lights, I'll throw them a like. Maybe even a heart eyes smiley. I dunno. Actually a pretty nice little Saturday planned. We're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if I'll have enough time. But that summary sure would be appreciated.

I’ll bite.
They are bright. You’ll want to make sure you double check your headlight aim after install. I very rarely get flashed, and when I do it’s typically by someone with really dim lights of their own. They light up the road ahead very well, both low and high. Thing I like about them is they throw a fair amount of light to the sides as well, when it’s deer season I can see who’s on the sides as well as who’s in the road. The only complaint I’ve had, is when there was a really wet, sloppy snow event with the temps right around freezing the mess stuck to the lights, not enough heat to melt it off. To be fair however, I’ve had that kind of slop stick to stock lights before. I got Rain-X for plastic and used that the rest of the winter, but didn't have another really sloppy event to see if it made a difference. Cold, dry snow and sub zero temps was no issue.

I got mine because I drive to work usually in the dark and I was tired of not seeing deer with the stock lights. These make the deer stand out against the asphalt very well.

Install was very easy.