Replaced Track Bar, Now Steering Wheel is widely off center

atitustj

I recently decided to replace by stock track bar since devoloping death wobble in my 1999 TJ. I have a aftermarket 2inch lift but decided to go with another stock track bar because it worked great for so long. About halfway through the job I moved the wheels to get a better angle for the pickle fork. After doing the job, I realized the steering wheel is really off center and pulls hard to the left. Did I shift the weight onto the axel, and mess with alighnment... or can I just recenter the steering wheel. Thanks

Yep as soon as I did mine, actually front and rear bars, it was off. Since I’d installed all new everything including the steering box to eradicate my death wobble, I opted for an alignment to top it all off

Normal. Just adjust the drag link. Pulling the axle over with the track bar probably pulled the drag link over too which pushed the wheel left. Shorten the drag link to where it’s straight at 12:00 and you should be good to go.

Reactions: AndyG
Yes, the track bar controls the axle to frame relationship and when the axle moves it takes all the steering components with it except the pitman arm- that turns and moves the wheel- the centering sleeve is right at it and allows you to recenter the wheel. May take a few trys and test drives, nice to have a friend help or put white tape on the steering wheel center to be able to stand up and see it.