Replacement Decal/Paint Mask Query

2002Apex5spd

When I first got my Jeep I wasn't entirely sold on the hood decal, but it's kind of grown on me and while there's a fair amount of Wranglers in my area (with a good sprinkling of other TJ's), have yet to spot another Apex. It's been a real head turner around here to be honest.

As my first year of ownership comes to a close, I'm starting to get a picture of what this thing needs and things I want to do to make it better. It's going to be a slow progression as I don't have a shop space to work in (unless I borrow one) so anything too extensive for mods will be further down the road unless I can get away with it (I work 12 hour days but if I play my vacation cards right I can score a seven day stretch off here and there). Probably just going to lights and tires with some mild repair work.

I am however looking into the future and doing some bodywork and a repaint. Initially I wanted to go a different color but as time went on (and research) I realized that's going to put my Jeep out of commission for some time as I'm kind of a DIY guy, don't have much of a budget, and my wife's patience can only stretch so far. In the end, I kind of came up with the vision of making the my Jeep the version they should have made (basically a Rubicon but with Apex badging). Or at least mostly.

The hood decal is starting to age, as is the hood (peeling and cracking is starting and there's a dent on the side) so I was already planning on purchasing a reproduction hood (or if I get a deal on a spotless one on the used market). Not sure if I wanted to get a high grade automotive vinyl or get a custom cut paint mask so I don't have to worry about a decal peeling, bubbling, aging, or cracking due to environmental damage. Whichever way I go I still run into the same problem....where the hell do I go?

This is obviously not a popular model and a few boards have shown others removing the sticker entirely so I'm already kind of behind the 8 ball there. And while I've seen custom masks used in automotive videos and television shows, I don't know where I could go to get one. I can assume basically any place that does vinyl graphics (probably a special kind of adhesive backed paper much like a large sheet of masking tape), but once again, just as assumption. I'm also assuming I would need to take some measurements (length, width, APEX font size) and provide photos, but never has anyone try to reproduce a sticker or mask so this is new territory for me. So if anyone has any advice, that would be most appreciated. Personally, I'm leaning more towards a paint mask I think.

44322335901_eaa18fd352_k.jpg

Sounds like a lot of work to get what you want. I'm not trying to get you to do something else because I like people that decide to do something and end up doing it.

I've seen that hood decal on a couple different TJs. Maybe they were something with similar stripes because I never really looked close enough to remember the APEX name on them. Either way I thought they were cool.

What is the paint mask you're referring to? Just some giant masking tape (as you mentioned) that you, or someone, would trim those stripes out of, then spray paint it yourself? If that's the case I think it seems like a real challenge to get all those miles of edges crisp and clean enough to get perfect stripes.

This would have me leaning towards vinyl I'd think it would still be a lot of work to cut the stripes out but easier than the the mask. I know this could lead to the same problems you have right now. I don't really have the time right now to check but I'm pretty sure it could be clear coated.

And FWIW, while I typed this I thought about another option. I'm not sure what it costs but maybe you could get an "automotive" artist to spray those stripes on without any masking. They tend to just about anything anybody ever wants.

There are a few basic masks I've seen out on the market here and there. This being one of them: http://hotrodworks.net/decal/maskkit.html

That said, a lot of them appear to be basic hotrod stuff (scallops or flames) or someones custom made creation where they never say where they got it done.

But this would probably involve someone with access to a machine that laser cuts vinyl graphic material for either the decal or mask depending on what I end up deciding.

Decal can be taken off if I get sick of the look, but could get damaged.

Painting has permanency...but that's also the con to it.

I'll keep looking around both locally and online. If I were to go the vinyl route I'd want to use the stuff that's used for automotive restorations like for graphics on muscle cars so it can hold up to years of UV radiation and weather (since this thing is my daily driver).

I'm lucky enough to live in the same city as Max-Bilt Offroad, and while they don't sell vinyl kits, they might be able to give me a lead on to where I can find something.

Mostly was just wondering if anyone else went down the custom decal route for their Jeep and who they went to and what they had to do.