Replacement door straps that can be installed without taking off metal door bracket

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
Has anyone found adjustable replacement door straps that can be installed without taking off the metal bracket on the door? A gust of wind tore my strap and when I go to remove the metal bracket to replace it, one of the screws just spins without backing out. But the bracket is still very tight. Weird. Anyway, I do not have the time or inclination to drill out that spinning screw, etc. etc., and was hoping that someone had found a strap that could be installed without removing the bracket. It seems like someone would have invented this by now. Anyone?

I sewed mine back together in situ, I melted the frayed bits where it ripped apart and its held up for 4 months.
If the strap is too damaged to sew maybe just use onewrap velcro until you get around to remove the spinning screw.
A piece of leather strap with screw studs or zip ties at the loops would do it.

Has anyone found adjustable replacement door straps that can be installed without taking off the metal bracket on the door? A gust of wind tore my strap and when I go to remove the metal bracket to replace it, one of the screws just spins without backing out. But the bracket is still very tight. Weird. Anyway, I do not have the time or inclination to drill out that spinning screw, etc. etc., and was hoping that someone had found a strap that could be installed without removing the bracket. It seems like someone would have invented this by now. Anyone?

Can loosen the other screw and rotate the metal loop? You don't have to completely remove it.

In short, if you want an adequate strap then no, Velcro is not a long term fix.
Long term fix would be to drill out and re tap a new screw in the metal loop but until OP does that the Velcro Onewrap will at least stop his mirror hitting the body if its windy.
Its not hard to undo and sew one end of a nylon strap or even plat some para cord with a loop one end and a tail the other, tie a bowline in the tail through the metal loop and cut off the excess.

Buy $10 worth of paracord and make them yourself. This technique is done with the footman's loop in place on the door.

I like making my own because any I've purchased are too long. I like to limit the door swing.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Mine would be twice as strong since it starts out as two separate pieces.
Plus, I get my single-sided Velcro for a huge discount (free). :)
You gotta love onewrap though, just about every buckle and strap on camping gear seems to break after a use or two! I carry a few feet of 3/4 and inch & 1/2 with me whenever I go camping.

Buy $10 worth of paracord and make them yourself. This technique is done with the footman's loop in place on the door.

I like making my own because any I've purchased are too long. I like to limit the door swing.

That is what I did. I was about to post that...glad I saw this first.