Replacement Halogen Bulb Suggestions?

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Need some good, bright halogen bulbs, plug-n-play. Watcha got?

Do you have housings already and only want bulbs, or do you need the whole deal?
I have everything but the bulbs. I want to keep stock housings.

Do you have housings already and only want bulbs, or do you need the whole deal?
Now that I’m researching yours, Are our stock headlights sealed housings? Yours look close to stock, even have glass housing. How’s the lighting? I was thinking I might need some H4’s with some higher light output. Don’t really know though

Stock lights are sealed units.

The factory replacement 6024 sealed beam headlamp has a s 60/55w H4 bulb sealed inside the housing.

If you want brighter lights you will need new housings such as Hella or Cibie E-Code housings, or heaven forbid some of those gawd awful LED's.

I use Hella E-Code housings and Philips X-Treme Vision +130 H4 bulbs. The "+130" refers to color temperature rather than wattage. They are still 60/55w but a bit whiter than standard H4's which makes them appear brighter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NMEEOV2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You can find 7" E-Code housings with H4 bulbs here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72SKQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The factory replacement 6024 sealed beam headlamp has a s 60/55w H4 bulb sealed inside the housing.

If you want brighter lights you will need new housings such as Hella or Cibie E-Code housings, or heaven forbid some of those gawd awful LED's.

I use Hella E-Code housings and Philips X-Treme Vision +130 H4 bulbs. The "+130" refers to color temperature rather than wattage. They are still 60/55w but a bit whiter than standard H4's which makes them appear brighter.

X2,

I have the same.
The light is better than the origin.

Reactions: JMT
Now that I’m researching yours, Are our stock headlights sealed housings? Yours look close to stock, even have glass housing. How’s the lighting? I was thinking I might need some H4’s with some higher light output. Don’t really know though
As mentioned, the stock head lights are sealed beams, you can't do anything to them. Mine look stock once installed. The front of the lens is more flat than the stock lights, but once installed, no one would notice they aren't stock.

The light output is dramatically better than the stock headlights. They are a simple plug and play upgrade, and if you decided the output isn't enough, you can actually swap the bulbs for different ones.

I just went outside and took a quick pic so you can judge for yourself, but they look pretty much stock to me and is the reason I choose them. I don't like the funky looking LED's.

1110191024_HDR.jpg

Just throwing another option out if you want to keep a "stock" look, find some units from a JK. I know this may be blasphemy to some but I wanted to upgrade and keep a more factory look so I went with this option because I don't like the way most LED's look
20190921_162943.jpg
. You can usually get a used set for dirt cheap since alot of JK guys go LED. You can then choose the bulb you like since they aren't sealed. Mine is on the left, not a great pic but I can grab more if needed.

Here is another pic I took while installing them so you can compare them side by side. Hella E-code on the left (passenger side) and stock light on the right.

1026191502_HDR.jpg

I run the JK housings, usually can find cheap or free. Lots more bulb choices once you switch from H4 to H13. There are even LED options, if that's your thing.

Reactions: JMT
The few minor annoyances I have with the JK lights is that they don't really look stock, they don't look bad, just not really like stock, I believe the connectors are different, and I believe they are not glass, but a composite which may haze over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
As mentioned, the stock head lights are sealed beams, you can't do anything to them. Mine look stock once installed. The front of the lens is more flat than the stock lights, but once installed, no one would notice they aren't stock.

The light output is dramatically better than the stock headlights. They are a simple plug and play upgrade, and if you decided the output isn't enough, you can actually swap the bulbs for different ones.

I just went outside and took a quick pic so you can judge for yourself, but they look pretty much stock to me and is the reason I choose them. I don't like the funky looking LED's.

View attachment 124323
They look great. We share the same taste. I could never get into the plastic LED look.

Reactions: b0xcar
Just another vote for the JK headlight conversion. They're slightly better than the original, which is nice. They look a little better in my opinion and what I really like is, should they ever burn up a bulb, you just have to replace it from the back instead of pulling the whole bezel out, etc.
I also picked them up off of craigslist, $20 with bulbs in them. Just some $12 jumpers that went from H4 to H13 and I was in business.

Original sealed beam on the left, JK housing on the right.

JK_headlights_1.jpg

And below is with both JK housings in.

JK_headlights_2.jpg

I will go with this. Great help. I really appreciate it. I hate LED’s. In TX I hardly ever had to drive at night. Now that we live in the PNW, it gets dark at 4:30. Last night I had to drive over to Idaho. I hope other people could see me because I couldn’t even see a light beam emitting from the front of my TJ.

• Haha
Reactions: Vasq