Replacement Horn for Grand Cherokee WK

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
Throwing this in Off-Topic since it's about my 2008 Grand Cherokee.

My horn has failed multiple times due to water getting into it. I'm tired of paying to have it replaced, then replaced again under warranty (12,000 miles). Note that this Jeep is just a daily driver, no off road, and no water crossings. If you are unfamiliar with the horn location in the WK, it's in the lower section of the front bumper so any water splash from just a puddle soaks it.

So I'm ready to remove it and mount it elsewhere in the engine bay. The question I have, how difficult is it to replace the horn with a slightly louder one? I don't need nor want a train horn, but if I'm buying a new one and get a few more decibels out of it, bonus.

I know nothing about wiring, but is it just as easy an connecting the two wires from the existing horn to the new one?

Any suggestions on a replacement in lieu of Mopar part 5026994AB?

IMG_1930.PNG
Just one from an auto parts store.

Let's put this one in General Jeep Discussion if you don't mind? You know, since that's about Jeeps in general.

Reactions: Serbonze
How did you end up attaching them? Did you use the original horn mount and modify it for the dual horns or did you build a new one?

I just attached to the existing mount with a 5/16 bolt; I thought I needed an extension, but was able to do without. Took a bit of wiggling to get them both on and a few f%#^* ba%#%^* seemed to help!

Also needed to shift the washer fluid line an inch out of the way with my fingers while mounting them. I'll take a picture when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a list of things I look for when I go to the Pick-N-Pulls in our area and horns is one of the items I grab. I usually get them from Jeeps, any model, just to keep things "pure" (lol). They tend to lump them in with the rest of the things I get so I probably only pay a buck or two for them.

Last edited:
In case someone is still looking for an easy upgrade option, I had good luck with using a twin horn from a newer Jeep commander to replace my stock single horn on the 06 LJ. Junkyard or eBay available. MOPAR bracket and connector are plug and play. Definitely a bit more stout now.

Thank you for this update! Did you re-use the TJ horn bracket or the Jeep Commander horn bracket? Do you have a PIC or 2 that you could share of the Install using the Commander horns? Looks like maybe mopar part number 5026994AD for a new set?
Sorry, I am away from the Jeep so I can’t offer any photos anytime soon. I did go back and look at my purchase records. I purchased a dual horn set for a 2007 Jeep Commander via eBay. It came with a factory bracket that mounted to the inner fender the same as the stock bracket. As I recall, it required some bending to fit the horns into the stock space and to allow for the connection of the factory wires to the horn. The connectors are the same/plug and play, but there isn’t much slack in the wiring there.