Replacement Seats for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
Have any of you replaced your seats?

I was considering getting some Bartact covers when my wife kind of surprised me by suggesting that we just replace the seats. It makes sense, since the 17 year old foam is collapsing anyway.

*This TJ is used mostly as a weekend vehicle. We don't do any heavy off-roading, it's limited to overlanding type driving.*

In some preliminary searching, I'm kind of overwhelmed with the options. Corbeau seem to be way out of budget and more than I need.

I want to keep the ability to recline.
Fold and tumble isn't necessary.
Don't need suspension seats.
Don't need the ability to use a harness.
A little bolstering would be beneficial.

I'm really just looking for a straight up replacement seat, and I would like to hear any personal experience you have had.

Thanks!

Reactions: ReelFishBoss
20171007_111645.jpg

Getting the little rip stitched up soon

Last edited:
Bestop has the best assortment of TJ seats but again they may be a touch on the pricey side.
I have been thinking about the Classic's myself. Check'em out, https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2000/wrangler/trailmax-ii-seats/
I personally won't run anything without headrest/high back. In the event of a rear end accident, your neck could get broken/whiplash very easy. You ever see those in modern cars? Nope not since the 80's or earlier.

Reactions: davidstokesjr
I went with junk yard seats from a Hyundai Tiburon. Although I've paid up to $200 in a private sale I've also bought a pair for $70 at a junk yard. It's an easy job you can do in a morning. I've done the swap in my TJ, LJ and XJ and I'm about to do it in my MJ. I've put a lot of miles in them and they are VERY comfortable.

upload_2017-10-8_8-25-24.png

upload_2017-10-8_8-25-44.png

It looks like some of the Corbeau offerings are not as expensive as I thought. I was reading the price per pair as price per seat. I'm going to see if there are any dealers in the area that have them in stock so I can actually plop my butt into them.

Reactions: Chris
I have the Moab in neoprene. Pros and cons: very comfortable but at 6’1” 230# a little narrow, perfect for my wife. People talk about neoprene causing sweat issues. Has not been a problem in northern Indiana and Michigan where I drive. The neoprene gives a nice grip at the off road parks. All in I would buy them again. My friend who recommended them has thousands of miles on his is still very happy with them.

Reactions: Serbonze
I replaced mine with some PRP daily drivers.They recline and flip forward for rear seat access. Got tan vinyl and black cloth to match my interior. It’s s nice seat and you feel firmly planted when driving. Good customer service too.That being said I think the factory seats are more comfortable. If I were to do it again i would just have them professionally recovered or get some Katskins.

I have bartacts & really like them. I don't know if I would have bought them new though because I got a really good deal on mine. My buddy got a seat of Corbeau BAJA XRS seats in his TJ and they really are great. I have been considering doing that swap but then I am stuck with a non matching rear seat :(.

If the wifey wants it, get some replacement seats :D.

Reactions: Serbonze
Jerry has PRP daily driver seats.
True and they've been great. They're also the only non-imported seats made for our Jeeps that I'm aware of. They're manufactured about 40 miles north of me in Temecula California. I installed them after the junk imported Bestop seats started coming apart again after having already been replaced once under warranty.

Here's a link to a writeup I did of their installation. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/stock-oe-seat-replacement-option.1740/

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have the Moab in neoprene. Pros and cons: very comfortable but at 6’1” 230# a little narrow, perfect for my wife. People talk about neoprene causing sweat issues. Has not been a problem in northern Indiana and Michigan where I drive. The neoprene gives a nice grip at the off road parks. All in I would buy them again. My friend who recommended them has thousands of miles on his is still very happy with them.

Thank you! It’s been a toss up between the Moab and the Sport seat. I think I’m leaning toward the Sport right now but still need to research a bit.

Reactions: JimT