Replacement Seats for Jeep Wrangler TJ

That was a great thread. New seats is an idea that I've been kicking around for awhile now and I'm glad that I haven't ordered anything. I'm a big believer that you get what you pay for which is why I never buy gas station sunglasses. It sounds like the Bestop seats are the equivalent of gas station sunglasses .

With that being said, I also hate to overpay for anything. The seats in my 2005 LJ are shot. Initially I was looking at Smittybilt but thought twice. Now I am looking very hard at the Mastercraft Safety, Baja RS. The issue with these is that they are $600 per seat.

Somewhere in the thread Baja RS was mentioned, but it wasn't MasterCraft. Are they the same seats with a different name? Has anyone installed these pricey seats? Are they worth the cost?

I need something with the best possible support. My back is not healthy and crappy seats don't help. Ultimately, I would like seats so that I can't even tell when I hit a bump or take a drop.

Please let me know what type of seats you would recommend to an old man with a bad back. By the way, back seats don't matter because I removed the back several years ago, so I could get an additional 21cf of storage space.

That was a great thread. New seats is an idea that I've been kicking around for awhile now and I'm glad that I haven't ordered anything. I'm a big believer that you get what you pay for which is why I never buy gas station sunglasses. It sounds like the Bestop seats are the equivalent of gas station sunglasses .

With that being said, I also hate to overpay for anything. The seats in my 2005 LJ are shot. Initially I was looking at Smittybilt but thought twice. Now I am looking very hard at the Mastercraft Safety, Baja RS. The issue with these is that they are $600 per seat.

Somewhere in the thread Baja RS was mentioned, but it wasn't MasterCraft. Are they the same seats with a different name? Has anyone installed these pricey seats? Are they worth the cost?

I need something with the best possible support. My back is not healthy and crappy seats don't help. Ultimately, I would like seats so that I can't even tell when I hit a bump or take a drop.

Please let me know what type of seats you would recommend to an old man with a bad back. By the way, back seats don't matter because I removed the back several years ago, so I could get an additional 21cf of storage space.

Cant put on price on safety and comfort. Have you considered Recaro seats as well?

Reactions: tomtaylz
Cant put on price on safety and comfort. Have you considered Recaro seats as well?

No, I haven't looked at Recaro. Until you asked the question, I hadn't even heard of Recaro. I agree with the money, comfort and safety. I guess I just want the most bang for the buck. I would like them to be long lasting and comfortable.

Sadly, Jeep seats aren't like a recliner for the living room, so there isn't a place to go and try them. At least I haven't found a store that has seats in the showroom. I guess that I'm counting on my fellow Jeep people to tell me which seats they use and why they like them.

Thanks for suggesting Recaro and looking into them.

Reactions: JMT
No, I haven't looked at Recaro. Until you asked the question, I hadn't even heard of Recaro. I agree with the money, comfort and safety. I guess I just want the most bang for the buck. I would like them to be long lasting and comfortable.

Sadly, Jeep seats aren't like a recliner for the living room, so there isn't a place to go and try them. At least I haven't found a store that has seats in the showroom. I guess that I'm counting on my fellow Jeep people to tell me which seats they use and why they like them.

Thanks for suggesting Recaro and looking into them.

Something you should consider is finding a couple of manufactures that you like and find out when and where they will be as far as car shows, or events goes. Chances are that if Recaro is going to a big car event or sponsoring an event, they may just so happen to bring their trailer and bring out some seats to show off and to sit in...Throwing out some ideas for you.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Something you should consider is finding a couple of manufactures that you like and find out when and where they will be as far as car shows, or events goes. Chances are that if Recaro is going to a big car event or sponsoring an event, they may just so happen to bring their trailer and bring out some seats to show off and to sit in...Throwing out some ideas for you.

That is a really good idea. I'm in Vegas a lot, so I was thinking the SEMA show would be good, but I have to wait another year for SEMA. 4 Wheel Parts has a couple of shows locally in Denver. The shows are great for trying stuff you want to buy, but they are horrible because I always find a bunch of stuff that I want to buy and end up buying.

Thanks for the idea. I will look for some local or regional shows .

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I just ordered the Corbeau Trailcat seats. They look pretty sharp and they are comfortable. At least showroom comfortable, hopefully they hold up on the trails and roads.

trailcat-05.jpg

Did 4wp have the trsilcat in the showroom to try out? I live in the Denver area and am looking to upgrade my seats.

Ive seen seats in there before, couldnt tell you what make/model they were though. This was at the Peoria location

Did 4wp have the trsilcat in the showroom to try out? I live in the Denver area and am looking to upgrade my seats.

I only called the one in Sheridan and was put on hold so long that I quit waiting. I called High Country 4x4, also in Sheridan, and they had something similar, so I ordered from them after a quick test sit. They are installing mine next week.

I went with the diamond stitching and I am pretty pumped about the whole deal.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I think the corbeau are garbage, I went through 3 sets of covers in a year, just wore out because of cheap materials.

So my question for seats is my Jeep will be used on weekends only out on the trail or crawling a little. I have 3 bad disks in my back so finding what will absorb the bumps the best is what i'm looking for. I would say money is not a factor in this since if I can't be comfortable out there then I can't go out there.

I think I've heard of seats with suspension in them sort of? Not sure if that would be good or bad for my back. Lol

Thanks in advance!!

So my question for seats is my Jeep will be used on weekends only out on the trail or crawling a little. I have 3 bad disks in my back so finding what will absorb the bumps the best is what i'm looking for. I would say money is not a factor in this since if I can't be comfortable out there then I can't go out there.

I think I've heard of seats with suspension in them sort of? Not sure if that would be good or bad for my back. Lol

Thanks in advance!!

I don't have any bad disks, but I have an old back. Driving the Jeep in its current form with the factory seats could hurt quite a bit. Granted I didn't sit on them for too long, but they seemed a lot more comfortable. It makes sense, since they are brand new.

My factory seats have been beat up on trails and by time. The foam is getting old and doesn't have the same elasticity or hold. I think any seat should be an improvement over your factory seats. Should be could be a stretch.

Post up what you are able to come up with!
I will for sure do a write up . I am just really busy right now with work and working on motorcycles. Lots of kids bikes For Christmas. Ethanol sucks , I swear I have done more carb clean / tank flushes than I have bowel movements in the past month!

Reactions: Badmfbri
I will for sure do a write up . I am just really busy right now with work and working on motorcycles. Lots of kids bikes For Christmas. Ethanol sucks , I swear I have done more carb clean / tank flushes than I have bowel movements in the past month!
Not to hijack this, but rockett, VP, Renegade, and sunaco all offer 5 gallon pails of ethonal free gas specifically for bikes. I run nothing but VP in my bikes.

Last edited:
Not to hijack this, but rockett, VP, Renegade, and sunaco all offer 5 gallon pails of ethonal free gas specifically for bikes. I run nothing but VP in my bikes.
I know and tell everyone. You can lead them to water but can’t teach them to drink! VP stuff is great it’s all I run in my machines as well !