Replacement Seats for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Not a comment on seats … but it's good to see another lacrosse guy on here. I started at age 5 and am still at it … 60 years later!

Very cool! I had no exposure to it growing up but I am glad its here for my kids. They are involved year-round at this point and we love it.

I went with junk yard seats from a Hyundai Tiburon. Although I've paid up to $200 in a private sale I've also bought a pair for $70 at a junk yard. It's an easy job you can do in a morning. I've done the swap in my TJ, LJ and XJ and I'm about to do it in my MJ. I've put a lot of miles in them and they are VERY comfortable.

View attachment 23212

View attachment 23213
I like those! Did you have to do much modification to get them to fit? Did you just leave the stock backseat?

I like those! Did you have to do much modification to get them to fit? Did you just leave the stock backseat?

Thanks. It was quite easy to do. I basically stripped a few minor parts off of the bottoms of the Hyundai seats (seat belt wiring, a few metal tabs, etc.) and bolted the Hyundai seats and sliders right to the brackets I made (2nd pic). I also had to remove a bit of the plastic trim on the Hyundai seats with a Dremel tool to clear the Jeep seat belt reals.

I don't have a back seat in either my TJ or LJ but they do fit without any modifications. The only seats I have used have been from '03 & '04 Tiburons so I can't say if other years would fit. I suspect they would though as I doubt Hyundai made any changes.

I went with junk yard seats from a Hyundai Tiburon. Although I've paid up to $200 in a private sale I've also bought a pair for $70 at a junk yard. It's an easy job you can do in a morning. I've done the swap in my TJ, LJ and XJ and I'm about to do it in my MJ. I've put a lot of miles in them and they are VERY comfortable.

View attachment 23212

View attachment 23213
Will the seats still fold completely forward into the dash like factory

My TJ has a pair of comfortable aftermarket seats with adjustable backrests but ... they seem to emit a kind of new car smell. At least, that seems to be where the odor is coming from. I don't like it. In fact these days, it's getting more difficult to avoid various foams/plastics that off-gas and emit odors. Just throwing that out there, for anyone buying an aftermarket seat, hopefully you don't run into this issue.

Will the seats still fold completely forward into the dash like factory

Currently they do not. This summer I will be installing a new pair of seats (same type) that I have put heaters into and will design a handle, cable system or whatever I need to make them operate as original. I kind of roughed it out when I did the original install and it shouldn't be too hard.

Just wondering if anyone fit the bartact tactical covers made for a TJ over a Smittybuilt standard bucket?

View attachment 23212

View attachment 23213
When you did the swap in your LJ do you still retain the flip and fold of the original?

When you did the swap in your LJ do you still retain the flip and fold of the original?
I didn't when I originally made the swap but I have since attached a 1/4" diameter rope with a handle that allows me to rotate the release mechanism so the seats can flip forward.

Reactions: CovertRat
I just finished installing BWM E90 seats- brown leather. Always thought BMWs had one of the most comfortable seats. $300 on Craigslist. Another $75!in metal and supplies to mount them up. Had to fab a plate and retained the tumble forward pass seat plus all the functions of the BMW seat.

View attachment 58122
Would love to know what the mount that you fabed looked like so that you was able to retain the flip function and all of the BMW seat functions as well. Would like to look into doi this for my 04 LJ

The front seat mechanism on my TJ is inferior compared to my CJ7. On the CJ7, there is a side lever easily accessible, allowing the seat to fold up and forward for rear access. Even from behind the passenger can reach it.

But the TJ has only a difficult to locate lever hidden under the seat. And even with that lever, the seat also must be slid forward to give access. And the access seems less than on my CJ7. Plus the rear passenger is unable to flip the TJ seat.

What gives with the inferior TJ seat mechanism, am I doing something wrong? It's very difficult to fit passengers into the rear of vehicle with the small sliver of access afforded by the TJ seat mechanism.

View attachment 23212

View attachment 23213
Do you have a build thread on this?

Reviving this old thread. On the matter of flip forward seats, although the headrests seem to be a bit of an issue, I thought a guy on the Cherokee forum came up with a good idea. He didn't provide details on the front but I imagine it's just a pair of well anchored hinges. These are out of a Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee and being a 4 dr. the backs don't fold forward. There is a way to make that conversion but it's a bit of work to tear apart the seats and you have to track down the parts from a scrapped XJ 2 dr.

To me, this "opens the door" 😊 for using seats from a 4 dr. of your choice in your TJ.

Seats - 1.jpg
Seats - 2.jpg