Replacing 2.4L

tnkayaker615

Supporting Member
I just picked up a 2006 2.4L engine 30k miles to replace my 05 that has 180+k. It has been giving me trouble for awhile so I was researching engine swaps when I found this engine for a price I could not pass up. I'm looking for advice on what I should replace/upgrade on the engine and in the bay before I plant it. I just had a new clutch(NSG370) installed so I'm good there. Engine things I've thought of:

routine maintenance items
motor mounts
gaskets (no head gasket)
seals
timing belt
Water pump
starter
hoses
sensors

Am I on the right track? I don't know about the engine bay so really could use some guidance there. What do y'all think?

I think you covered it all honestly. I’d probably see if anything needs to be done transmission wise while you’re in there. Namely I would replace the clutch.

Replace the.......2.4 with a 4.0 :eek:

Basically replace everything possible that would be hard to replace when the motor is installed.
Last thing you want to do is strip the whole thing down again to replace something that is easy to do whilst the motor is out.

Well I'm ready to start ordering my parts and was wondering if y'all had any advice on brands, vendors etc. The only brand specifics I've got so far: NTK O2 sensors, NGK plugs, Fel-Pro gaskets and Gates Timing belt kit w/ water pump. I'm thinking about the Performance Distributors Firepower Kit for coil and wires. I need a new air cleaner assembly (mine is broken) but I've not been able to source one reasonably priced. It seems I can get a new quality CAI for a few extra bucks. I've seen members opinions on CAI but I'm buying a replacement not for claimed MPG and "cool sound". So what do y'all think? I want to use highest quality parts possible.

Oh and I'm a Amazon addict so @Chris if you want to share any affiliate links I'll use them.

Stay with factory stuff; cai and that performance dist whatever aren't going to provide anything meaningful. Open air filters attract more dirt and filter less than the stock set up. Good score only having 30k.

I just picked up a 2006 2.4L engine 30k miles to replace my 05 that has 180+k. It has been giving me trouble for awhile so I was researching engine swaps when I found this engine for a price I could not pass up. I'm looking for advice on what I should replace/upgrade on the engine and in the bay before I plant it. I just had a new clutch(NSG370) installed so I'm good there. Engine things I've thought of:

routine maintenance items
motor mounts
gaskets (no head gasket)
seals
timing belt
Water pump
starter
hoses
sensors

Am I on the right track? I don't know about the engine bay so really could use some guidance there. What do y'all think?
clutch, since it is right there......

old post, sorry...

I love my 2.4 and all the challenges that come with owning one. Haha. Honestly, the only bad thing I can say about it is the lack of available information and support. But then again I guess the uniqueness appeals to me as well.

@billiebob I replaced the clutch less than 5k miles ago.

@Rob5589 That's what I have read but didn't know if quality aftermarket could increase the reliability. At the moment I won't drive it out of my county but want to feel comfortable driving it across the country if I wanted. On side roads not the interstate of course. Lol

The 2.4 is reliable in stock form. Mine is at 106k and runs great. Was just smogged and runs clean as new. If you want to do something to add some oomph it would be a gear change. I run 4.88 in mine with 31's and it works great. No issues on the fwy although I will still downshift a gear on long climbs. It is just a 2.4 afterall but the 4.88's extract all it has to offer.

Reactions: StG58