Replacing 30RH automatic with a manual

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
Well the 30rh decided to lose 2nd gear last week while im going about servicing my pool route.
This is within 5k miles afrer a full tranny rebuild .
I love the automatic on this 2.5 but it been nothing but trouble mainly because i made the mistake of taking it to Eagle Transmission, a franchised joint.

Is the AX-15 the best manual transmission for my setup?

I plan to keep this as my DD , 31s, 3.73 gears which will stay, not gonna regear.

Yes, if you're going to replace it with anything, replace it with the AX-15, no question about it.

However, I'm not 100% sure if the AX-15 will bolt up to the 2.5. The bell housing on the transmission might not be suited to the 2.5 engine. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Also, for what it's worth, Advanced Adapters sells brand new AX-15s for around $1500 with a warranty I believe. Maybe it was even less.

Yes, if you're going to replace it with anything, replace it with the AX-15, no question about it.

However, I'm not 100% sure if the AX-15 will bolt up to the 2.5. The bell housing on the transmission might not be suited to the 2.5 engine. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this.
I'm looking into that now. Will probably contack Novak for the answer. Would like to figure out how to marry the two if possible.

Reactions: Chris
I'm looking into that now. Will probably contack Novak for the answer. Would like to figure out how to marry the two if possible.

Let us know what you find (or what Novak says). I'm curious!

Yup, Chris where I've checked so far $1500 is the going rate for th ax15.

Yep, that's what I found as well. That's a good price though. It's the most widely used manual in the TJs. Most of the NV3550 guys replace them with AX-15s when they go bad as well. Parts (and spares) for the AX-15 are a dime a dozen compared to the latter NV manual transmissions Jeep used.

The AX-15 is also the most commonly used manual transmission in a TJ behind a V8 swap as well, so you know it can stand up to the power.

That is a lot of work. You sure you want to go manual? Before you go down that road, check LKQ on eBay. You might be able to find a lowish milage slush box to throw in there.

The 32rh is supposed to be a decent transmission... Your problems stem from a poor rebuild. You might look online for a rebuilt one too.

Reactions: Cornbread
Agree with @Mike_H ,that is a good transmission I think you had a poor rebuild done. Unless you desire for a manual transmission I wouldn't be doing a swap. Not to start a war but offroad I have seen too many situations where my auto seemed superior to buddy's manuals. I had mine recently rebuilt for $1400 with a 18 month warranty. The person I bought the Jeep from said it had been slipping for 2 years, when I looked at it it didn't even have fluid on the dipstick:oops:. Filled it up when I got it home and replaced filter and it lasted me 4 years, until I eventually rebuilt it. After rebuild it has been great. Should be even more reliable paired up to the less powerful 4 cylinder.

That is a lot of work. You sure you want to go manual? Before you go down that road, check LKQ on eBay. You might be able to find a lowish milage slush box to throw in there.

The 32rh is supposed to be a decent transmission... Your problems stem from a poor rebuild. You might look online for a rebuilt one too.
You're right, as I research this it is a lot of work. And you are also right, the tranny shop is probably incompetent and careless.
Thanks for the input Mike_H

You can't bolt an AX-15 to the 4 cyl without some sort of adapter (different bolt pattern), and then you'd probably need to replace your driveshafts. You'd need the AX-5.

Warranty on the tranny out?
No sir, the tranny shop said it was covered.
I guess my frustration is getring the better of me. It the 3rd time this shop has had my TJ in 9 months.
I just hate those guys putting their incompetent, careless greasy paws on my jeep.
The auto tranny is about the only thing I can't fix. 😞😟😦