Replacing 30RH automatic with a manual

You can't bolt an AX-15 to the 4 cyl without some sort of adapter (different bolt pattern), and then you'd probably need to replace your driveshafts. You'd need the AX-5.
From a short time researching, i found the Dakota pickup had a 4 cyl and ax15 transmission. Then the next sentence is usually, good luck finding the bell housing, folks grab them up.
Advance Adapters and Novak also have adapters n such but are outside my TJ budget right now.
So i pray for a divine miracle these guys will somehow do a good job this time... 😥

Reactions: bromel
The 6 speed is a total dog. Much worse than the NV3550 or the AX15.

Good to know. Found one local that I was considering for the low first. Instead I’m going to have to find a 4:1 set of gears for my tcase.

Good to know. Found one local that I was considering for the low first. Instead I’m going to have to find a 4:1 set of gears for my tcase.
I have the NSG370 behind the 4.0. It’s not bad, but it’s also not great. Similar torque specifications to the NV3550. The first gear is quite low. I use 2nd gear even starting on moderate hills. My biggest complaint is the overdrive gear isn’t tall enough to be useful. It doesn’t shift like a Mustang, but more like an economy car.

I have the NSG370 behind the 4.0. It’s not bad, but it’s also not great. Similar torque specifications to the NV3550. The first gear is quite low. I use 2nd gear even starting on moderate hills. My biggest complaint is the overdrive gear isn’t tall enough to be useful. It doesn’t shift like a Mustang, but more like an economy car.

I haven’t come across enough good reviews of them. At least not enough to make the jump.

I haven’t come across enough good reviews of them. At least not enough to make the jump.
If it were to crap out on me, I would probably just put in another NSG370. I do like having the extra speed.

What I want to do is find a NSG370 wide ratio (1st gear is 5.01, 6th is .83) or a 2012+ NSG370 (1st is 4.46, 6th is .79) and swap the guts in for a broader gearing range. Don’t know if it’s possible though.

1st on the TJ and early JK NSG370 is 4.46, 6th is .84

If you like the auto you have then just get a quality rebuild and call it done. If you want a manual it is often better to fix and sell what you have and buy another Jeep with the transmission you want. You will save a bundle of cash in the end.

If you like the auto you have then just get a quality rebuild and call it done. If you want a manual it is often better to fix and sell what you have and buy another Jeep with the transmission you want. You will save a bundle of cash in the end.
After researching this, I would agree. It's not just a simple tranny switcharoo. It lots more involved. When I saw that both driveshafts would have to be replaced, et al, I decided to hope these incompetent boobs fix it right this time... 😞 I'll know in a day or 2.