Replacing bumpstops

semi_conscious

After a conversation about tire size and lift in the Facebook group it got me thinking about the way my TJ rides. It's very spongy in the rear when going over dips. It appears whoever did the spring lift (2.5 - 3" lift) didn't extend the bump stops.

Can I extend the stops with spacers? Can I get them off and on without removing the springs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can I extend the stops with spacers? Can I get them off and on without removing the springs?

Yes, you can extend them with spacers or replacement bump stops.

Sure, you can replace the bump stops without technically removing the springs. You'd just have to unbolt the sway bar and track bar and let the axle sag fully underneath the vehicle. At that point you could probably get them out with the springs still on. Of course, at that point it would be just as easy to take the springs out and do it that way (which really isn't that hard to do).

Yes, you can extend them with spacers or replacement bump stops.

Sure, you can replace the bump stops without technically removing the springs. You'd just have to unbolt the sway bar and track bar and let the axle sag fully underneath the vehicle. At that point you could probably get them out with the springs still on. Of course, at that point it would be just as easy to take the springs out and do it that way (which really isn't that hard to do).

No spring compressor needed then? That's good to know. All I have is a little floor jack. Looks like a good excuse to buy a hi-lift

Chris, I read your post about how much to extend bumpstops and my brain may be fried but I'm not completely getting it.. My springs measure about 2.25 inches of lift from the factory specs. I'm thinking I just order 2" Rox Delrin Extensions and I'm good to go....no? I'd bet it had a 2.5 or 3" lift that has settled a bit as usual. Am I over-simplifying it?

http://r.ebay.com/qMwKnC

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
No. Stop. That is not the job for a hi-lift!

I've never seen a job that required using a Hi-lift period! (personal opinion of course...had one bite my ass as a kid and never again!!!)

Place jack stands under frame, remove front wheels, , remove lower shock bolt, remove sway bar links , bottle jack one side up as far as it will go allowing the other side to hang and it SHOULD drop low enough to simply remove the spring and do whatchagottado

I've never seen a job that required using a Hi-lift period! (personal opinion of course...had one bite my ass as a kid and never again!!!)

Place jack stands under frame, remove front wheels, , remove lower shock bolt, remove sway bar links , bottle jack one side up as far as it will go allowing the other side to hang and it SHOULD drop low enough to simply remove the spring and do whatchagottado
Dang it..You're ruining my excuse to buy a Hi-Lift..lol. I was just worried about having enough room to get the suspension to drop far enough. Sounds like I won't need to worry about that too much. My only recent experience with with springs was installing lowering springs on my son's 2015 mustang. That took compressors on the springs for the independent rear suspension. This should be a breeze compared to that.
Thanks for your advice!

X100 to this.

A Hi-lift can be pretty damn dangerous, and they really serve no purpose if you ask me. Even on the trail it's more dangerous to use a hi-lift jam to change a wheel / tire as oppose to using the stock bottle jack underneath the axle.

With jack stands under the frame that's all you'll need!

Dang it..You're ruining my excuse to buy a Hi-Lift..lol. I was just worried about having enough room to get the suspension to drop far enough. Sounds like I won't need to worry about that too much. My only recent experience with with springs was installing lowering springs on my son's 2015 mustang. That took compressors on the springs for the independent rear suspension. This should be a breeze compared to that.
Thanks for your advice!
I am just curious, when you say High Lift are you talking about a high lift/farm jack or are you talking about a post lift? High lift or farm jacks as some people call them have there place but not usually for general maintenance.

Jason

I am just curious, when you say High Lift are you talking about a high lift/farm jack or are you talking about a post lift? High lift or farm jacks as some people call them have there place but not usually for general maintenance.

Jason

I suppose a hydrolic floor jack under the axle would get it high enough for jack stands when the wheels are removed. All I have is a small jack. I'm just looking to get enough room between the frame and axle to replace bump stops.

My only recent experience with with springs was installing lowering springs on my son's 2015 mustang. That took compressors on the springs for the independent rear suspension.

Struts were shot in my boys GTI, so we replaced those a couple of months ago....borrowed the spring compressor from Advance Auto and mucked with all that jazz.
20150828_093003.jpg

The car was my best friends BEFORE it was my sons. My buddy bought it new and put 2" Eibach lowering springs on it and a slight body kit so it's not that easy to get a jack under or lift in any way.....and here I am use to trucks, 4x4's, SUV's...so yeah...that was a nightmare (for me) to deal with all that suspension crap so low to the ground.

gti.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Struts were shot in my boys GTI, so we replaced those a couple of months ago....borrowed the spring compressor from Advance Auto and mucked with all that jazz.
View attachment 1291

The car was my best friends BEFORE it was my sons. My buddy bought it new and put 2" Eibach lowering springs on it and a slight body kit so it's not that easy to get a jack under or lift in any way.....and here I am use to trucks, 4x4's, SUV's...so yeah...that was a nightmare (for me) to deal with all that suspension crap so low to the ground.

Been there, done that, lowered at least a dozen vehicles.

Owning a lifted TJ is so much easier. No fuss trying to put a jack under it, and half the time you work on it you don't even need to jack it up at all!