Replacing Drag Link and Tie Rod End

4WheelinMama

I recently got my TJ diagnosed after experiencing the inevitable death wobble. It felt like my jeep was shaking apart when going over 25. I was told it was the left side that was loose. They said I needed to replace the Center Link, Drag Link, Outer Tie Rod and Upper and Lower Ball Joints. I am going to do the work myself but I'm not sure what parts to get. Would it be best to get the drag link/tie rod system together or replace the specific parts? I would like to upgrade them to stronger parts.

20200713_124501.jpg

20200713_124308.jpg

20200713_124311.jpg

Attach01(29).jpg

+1 for Moog ZJ stuff. Price is right.

If you're doing your ball joints, it'll be a good time to evaluate your axle ujoints and unit bearings. Make sure you have the correct ball joint adapters for the Dana 30/Dana 44 or you'll have a bad time.

After replacing your steering bits you'll need to do an alignment or get it close enough so you can drive to a shop that can do it for you.

+1 for Moog ZJ stuff. Price is right.

If you're doing your ball joints, it'll be a good time to evaluate your axle ujoints and unit bearings. Make sure you have the correct ball joint adapters for the Dana 30/Dana 44 or you'll have a bad time.

After replacing your steering bits you'll need to do an alignment or get it close enough so you can drive to a shop that can do it for you.
And if you want to upgrade a little further by adding inner-c gussets the time to do it is when the ball joints are out 🤑

I just did the Moog ZJ upgrade last week, pretty straight forward task. I got everything from Amazon, I want to say it was right at $200.

As stated above, you will need to align your toe after the change. There is a great thread on here on doing this yourself. Super easy, and no different than what a $70 alignment will get you.

Also in favor of the ZJ upgrade using Moog ends. Also, if 1 side needs ball joints the other is likely needing them soon. Doing all 4 at once is easier (to me) than having to tear into the other side a month later.