T-Shirts

Order your offical Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum t-shirt today!

Click here to order!

Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum T-Shirts

Replacing front axle u-joints

Ron Hall

TJ Enthusiast
I had a lucky catch on a axle ujoint which had lost a keeper. We were in the San Juans when I found it. I tapped the protruding cup down and got back to the campground. I installed a keeper from an off brand ujoint. That got the Rubicon home to Arkansas with frequent inspections.

My 06 rubi has 65k and we do some moderate jeep trails in our SW Colorado summers. Boulders and water crossings are normal. My wife drives it about 1k miles each way and I pull a 5th wheel travel trailer.

I am preparing to pull both front axles for new spicer ujoints. I will check the ball joints, suspension and steering. What should I consider replacing with those axles out?

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I thought I had an axle U-joint going out. Popping sound while turning. (Turned out to be my engine skid had loosened up where it mates to the transfer case skid. 🤦‍♂️) Anyway, the point of this post is that I had 125,000 miles on these original (I'm assuming) U-joints, so at 65,000, you may not need them. These are the driver's side, but both sides looked the same. For the record, I'm not upset that I replaced them though, my Jeep is getting more off-road time now than it used to.

IMG_3152.JPG
IMG_3151.JPG

Reactions: Blondie70
OP
Ron Hall

Ron Hall

TJ Enthusiast
I thought I had an axle U-joint going out. Popping sound while turning. (Turned out to be my engine skid had loosened up where it mates to the transfer case skid. 🤦‍♂️) Anyway, the point of this post is that I had 125,000 miles on these original (I'm assuming) U-joints, so at 65,000, you may not need them. These are the driver's side, but both sides looked the same. For the record, I'm not upset that I replaced them though, my Jeep is getting more off-road time now than it used to.

View attachment 292495View attachment 292494
I do not trust the one I caught at all. I felt fortunate to get it home.

C744B73D-BFDB-4033-ACAF-EFC2ECB169BD.jpeg