Replacing my OE Skid/transmission plate

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
So I was Fluid Filming the crap out of my TJ. Some surface rust here and there, but the transmission skid is kind of messed up. Some idiot cut a hole in it to access exhaust. WTF. It is flaking here and there as well. My TJ is an '04 Rubicon manual transmission. My goals are as follows:
1. bolt on install
2. no exhaust rerouting
3. probably no tummy tuck, unless it is bolt on and no SYE required. It is a Rubicon, so not sure if a SYE would be required?

I an OEM the only route for this? Thanks for any help.

The Rubicon uses a flange mount to the transfer case, so no SYE is required. Without doing a TT, here's the one you want. UCF makes great products and I've used their skids on 3 different Jeeps. The one I included is aluminum and has the stock locker pump mount. You can go cheaper with steel, but spend the extra cash and go with aluminum. Huge weight savings and aluminum holds up well to abuse.

https://undercoverfab.com/no-body-l...er/73-locker_pump_mount-add_locker_pump_mount

Edit: While you're replacing the skid, that's the time to also install a cable shifter. If you do, go with either Novak or Savvy. Both are well made and respected.

Reactions: Sj's TJ and gg1
The Rubicon uses a flange mount to the transfer case, so no SYE is required. Without doing a TT, here's the one you want. UCF makes great products and I've used their skids on 3 different Jeeps. The one I included is aluminum and has the stock locker pump mount. You can go cheaper with steel, but spend the extra cash and go with aluminum. Huge weight savings and aluminum holds up well to abuse.

https://undercoverfab.com/no-body-l...er/73-locker_pump_mount-add_locker_pump_mount

Edit: While you're replacing the skid, that's the time to also install a cable shifter. If you do, go with either Novak or Savvy. Both are well made and respected.

Damn that does look nice. Pricey I guess, but maybe in the Spring. Seems the link you provided was what I need? Thanks.

Barnes 4x4 makes a bolt on skid. It does raise the drive train up one inch, so you may or may not need anything additional. Tj's can be sensitive to change.

Reactions: BlackSheep
Damn that does look nice. Pricey I guess, but maybe in the Spring. Seems the link you provided was what I need? Thanks.

You could go steel, but it will only rust on you later. Aluminum takes that worry out of the equation. One little trick I learned when installing the skids is to paint the bottom of the frame and then spray a few coats of Flex Seal where the skid contacts the frame. The rubber coating helps keep the frame from rusting, due to the metal on metal.

You could go steel, but it will only rust on you later. Aluminum takes that worry out of the equation. One little trick I learned when installing the skids is to paint the bottom of the frame and then spray a few coats of Flex Seal where the skid contacts the frame. The rubber coating helps keep the frame from rusting, due to the metal on metal.

Id be more nervous with the flex seal than metal on metal. It seems like eventually it will crack or wear, and when it does it would trap water there. I’m not saying it doesn’t help, but it does raise a flag to me.

Id be more nervous with the flex seal than metal on metal. It seems like eventually it will crack or wear, and ghtwhen it does it would trap water there. I’m not saying it doesn’t help, but it does raise a flag to me.

I've rubber coated between the frames and skids, across multiple Jeeps, for years with no issues. It does require the job being done right though.

Frame and skid ground clean
Rust Reformer applied, where needed
Self Etching primer applied
Rattle can paint applied
Rubber coating (Flex Seal or whatever works best for you) applied
Let cure for at least 24 hours

I do this for both sides (skid and frame) and have zero rust. Most people aren't this anal, but that's part of why I don't have rust issues.

Reactions: rasband
Barnes 4x4 has a bolt on skid plate that is steel but does improve breakover angle a bit.
Not terribly expensive. I opted for the 2" drop skid plate which is not completely bolt on - does require some drilling but gave my 2004 Rubicon over 2" of additional breakover clearance. Based on a thread I found on this site I relocated my locker compressors to the engine bay.