Replacing my Tensioner Pulley and alternator

mrblue5150

Supporting Member
Hi all, My tensioner pulley is making a howling sound and i'm gonna replace it. Any problems with buying the ones offered on extreme terrain or quadratec? Also I'm gonna upgrade my alternator because I'm planning on adding a winch and a sound system. Any advice on the alternator would be helpful.

When I replaced a noisy tentioner pully, turned out the idler pully might have been just as loud and worn. My advice is do both while you're in there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When I replaced a noisy tentioner pully, turned out the idler pully might have been just as loud and worn. My advice is do both while you're in there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Did mine at the end of last year and I’d say ditto to replacing both while you’re there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrblue5150
Rockauto has them cheap, I'd check there. I think they have one for under $4 on closeout. You don't need the whole thing, just the pulley.

I'd forget the alternator upgrade. The stock one will power just about any stereo. For winching you need a good battery. Any alternator is going to struggle with winching loads and drain the battery. You should probably get a hand throttle to set a high idle and take it slow to allow the battery to recharge. Winch + Rush = Problem.