Replacing Nitrocharger Sport shocks with RS5000X: Which size?

jbar80

Supporting Member
So I'm trying to get a better ride out of my TJ. I currently have 2942/2933 HD Springs with 60047 and 60049 Nitrocharger Sport shocks which are a little too stiff for my liking. The OME springs resulted in an even ride height so I don't have any of the trim spacers installed that sometimes ship with the OMETJHKS kit if that matters.

I'm trying to figure out which RS5000X would work best for this setup. The 0"-2" or the 2"-3" version. I actually have a set of the 2-3" sitting in my garage but further reading has left me concerned that these might not be the correct size. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have a set that I’m selling that are for a 2 inch lift. You may have a different experience but I didn’t find that it improved the ride. I will sell for $150 shipped.

I just read that you have the shocks for 2-3 lift. That is what you need. I had the same OME shocks and springs and they worked fine.

I just read that you have the shocks for 2-3 lift. That is what you need. I had the same OME shocks and springs and they worked fine.

Thanks, that's good to know. Have you found a shock that you like or did you go back to the nitrocharger sports?

One thing I haven't figured out yet is why the OME/ARB application guide specifies the 60048 rear shock for both the light duty and HD rear TJ springs but the 60049 is shipped with the HD kit. According to the guide, the 49 is only for LJs. Makes me wonder if that isn't the problem.

What kind of weight are you running (Aftermarket bumpers, etc)? I am running your exact setup on an LJ and found it to be a little harsh. I lowered my tire pressure to 26 psi and it helped but still a little harsh. I then decided to try adding some weight to see what happened. When I added 100 lbs of sand in the back, it smoothed out tremendously. I don’t have a winch or tire carrier, so I am pretty light. I am probably going to install some light springs in the rear and see what happens.

I have an LJ and I have those same HD springs (2933 front and 2942 rear). The shocks are 60047 front and 60048 rear and it’s still stiff.

I also have an aftermarket stubby bumper, winch plate and winch up front and a heavy rear bumper/tire carrier and trail rack in the rear.

So I'm trying to get a better ride out of my TJ. I currently have 2942/2933 HD Springs with 60047 and 60049 Nitrocharger Sport shocks which are a little too stiff for my liking. The OME springs resulted in an even ride height so I don't have any of the trim spacers installed that sometimes ship with the OMETJHKS kit if that matters.

I'm trying to figure out which RS5000X would work best for this setup. The 0"-2" or the 2"-3" version. I actually have a set of the 2-3" sitting in my garage but further reading has left me concerned that these might not be the correct size. Does anyone have experience with this?
What is your suspension lift height? Or did I miss that info somewhere?

What kind of weight are you running (Aftermarket bumpers, etc)? I am running your exact setup on an LJ and found it to be a little harsh. I lowered my tire pressure to 26 psi and it helped but still a little harsh. I then decided to try adding some weight to see what happened. When I added 100 lbs of sand in the back, it smoothed out tremendously. I don’t have a winch or tire carrier, so I am pretty light. I am probably going to install some light springs in the rear and see what happens.

Winch and bumper in the front and bumper with exogate in the rear. 32" C load MTs (STT Pro) aired to 27 lbs. Bumpers are of the chinese variety and not terribly heavy. I can tell a difference between full tank and empty but even at full it is too rough. Haven't put any additional weight in the back to see what that does.

What is your suspension lift height? Or did I miss that info somewhere?

I gained exactly 2.5" over the stock springs I replaced though I have no idea if part of that is due to the original springs being worn out. Is that what you're asking?

I gained exactly 2.5" over the stock springs I replaced though I have no idea if part of that is due to the original springs being worn out. Is that what you're asking?
Rancho's shock recommendations ran too tall for both the RS5000X and the RS9000XL shocks I have installed on my TJ. I had to return both for the next shorter model. I'd go with their 0-2" lift height model for your estimated lift height.

Reactions: jbar80
I have the exact tire on an 04 Lj. I run 21 in them on the street and have over 10k on them now and the wear has been perfectly even. I rotate them every 3000 miles. Mine ride like a brick at 27.

I have the exact tire on an 04 Lj. I run 21 in them on the street and have over 10k on them now and the wear has been perfectly even. I rotate them every 3000 miles. Mine ride like a brick at 27.

Wow! I would never have thought to go that low. I will give it a try.

Rancho's shock recommendations ran too tall for both the RS5000X and the RS9000XL shocks I have installed on my TJ. I had to return both for the next shorter model. I'd go with their 0-2" lift height model for your estimated lift height.

So if I have 4” springs, you’d run the short shocks for the 2-3” and not the 3-4”?

Rancho recommended the taller shocks for my application.

So if I have 4” springs, you’d run the short shocks for the 2-3” and not the 3-4”?

Following - I'm on 4" and looking to overhaul my suspension too. @Rubi04 what springs are you running? I was looking at Currie, OME, and Metalcloak.

4wd.com lists a size as 2.5"-4" - not sure which part numbers you were looking at

https://www.4wd.com/p/2004-Jeep-Wra...6!3!324818250454!!!g!404976844516!&s_kwcid=AL!{7836}!{3}!324818250454!!!g!404976844516!

It's going to be a trade off. If you get the longer 3.5 inch ranchos you will be adding a minimum of 2.5 bumps to clear the shock body. With my 4" springs I have about 5.5 up and 5.5 down. If you go with the 2.5 inch ranchos you will be able to lower the bumps to around 1.5 for the shock body. You would have around 6.5 of up travel and roughly 3 inches down.

Following - I'm on 4" and looking to overhaul my suspension too. @Rubi04 what springs are you running? I was looking at Currie, OME, and Metalcloak.

4wd.com lists a size as 2.5"-4" - not sure which part numbers you were looking at

https://www.4wd.com/p/2004-Jeep-Wra...6!3!324818250454!!!g!404976844516!&s_kwcid=AL!{7836}!{3}!324818250454!!!g!404976844516!

Yeah those are the longer ones recommended by Rancho. I’m on Rubicon Express springs, PO put this together and I’m slowly going to replace everything with better quality parts. I suggest looking at Currie or Savvy springs.

Reactions: healsonwheels
It's going to be a trade off. If you get the longer 3.5 inch ranchos you will be adding a minimum of 2.5 bumps to clear the shock body. With my 4" springs I have about 5.5 up and 5.5 down. If you go with the 2.5 inch ranchos you will be able to lower the bumps to around 1.5 for the shock body. You would have around 6.5 of up travel and roughly 3 inches down.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, depending on how you want your suspension travel set. Thanks again.

Reactions: Alex01