Replacing steering box

Kyle01WranglerTJ

OK Jeep people I need some advice. I need to replace my steering box on my wrangler TJ. Should I go with the direct stock replacement or upgrade to a performance one? Any benefit of upgrading? If so which one would you upgrade to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us about your TJ Kyle, your Profile is empty. Year, tire size, how you offroad it if you do, etc. There are some nice upgraded power steering boxes but there's not always a noticeable benefit to installing them.

Reactions: Hawaiian_TJ
2001 wrangler
33" tires but will eventually upgrade to probably 35"
Off-roading is mostly on the beach with some rock crawling. But I would like to do a lot more off-roading in the woods in the future.

Reactions: Chris
Personally I think you'll be fine with either the stock steering box, or the Durango box (which I linked to in my above post).

I was looking at this one.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/agr-262352

Guess it wouldn't be much better than the Durango one? Sorry for all the questions. I don't know much about this. Just want to do it right the first time so I don't have to do it again in the future if I do more upgrades.

Good lord that's expensive. Plenty of guys are running the stock steering box or the Durango box on 35" tires, and these are guys doing much more difficult terrain and off-roading than you or I will probably do. If those boxes can hold up to it, I don't see any reason to drop $500 on that steering box. Not to mention I haven't really heard anything about that brand, so I'm a bit hesitant to say anything about it.

I would get a Durango gearbox, they're much cheaper.

Dodge Durango Steering Gear Retrofit FAQ

Check out some of the questions in that FAQ (if you haven't already). It seems like a worthwhile upgrade.