Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Really happy with how these turned out and thanks again to this thread. I'm always trying to maintain a stock look as much as possible and the natural white was a great choice for that. Accidentally ordered cool white for shifter but I'm into it.

IMG_20200107_172706.jpg
IMG_20200107_172711.jpg

IMG_20200107_172703.jpg

Last edited:
Geez, you guys just cost me another $30! Always spendin my money! 🤙

Oh, and thanks for letting me know I had lights under the dash too. The PO must have removed the bulbs altogether so I didn't even know there were fixtures under there! :D

I'm missing the white lens on the drivers side footwell. it is brighter without but less diffused. I'm thinking about pulling the passenger cover so they look more equal even though nobody but me would ever notice.

After I get my bedtred finished up in the back I'd like to add a LED strip of some sort under the bed rail to light up the rear passenger and cargo area.

I'm missing the white lens on the drivers side footwell. it is brighter without but less diffused. I'm thinking about pulling the passenger cover so they look more equal even though nobody but me would ever notice.

After I get my bedtred finished up in the back I'd like to add a LED strip of some sort under the bed rail to light up the rear passenger and cargo area.

FWIW, I see that part listed on ebay if you feel like shelling out

View attachment 38217

As hard as I tried, the camera just couldn't get a good photo. It looks so much better than factory though. The lights are much more green, and the Rubicon locker switch I put a red LED bulb in (so it looks red like factory) and it turned out great too!

It's not as blindingly bright in person as the photo make it seem. I also have the dimmer set to max in this photo, so that might be part of it too.
What kind of bulb is used for the gear shift indicator?

If you know what it is for the earlier models, please share.
I measured the original bulb and went searching on Amazon. The bulbs I bought are made by Anourney, 194 led, the ASIN is B07DB7W78P, that’s the shifter bulb and the bulb I used for the foot wells were a number 67 from Superbrightleds.

Last edited:
I measured the original bulb and went searching on Amazon. The bulbs I bought are made by Anourney, 194 led, the ASIN is B07DB7W78P, that’s the shifter bulb and the bulb I used for the foot wells were a number 67 from Superbrightleds.

Your footwells use a 67 bulb like this?

67-led-bulb-forward-firing-cluster-ba15s-retrofit.jpg

I know this type of bulb is used in the tail lights and reverse lights. That seems like much too large of a bulb for the footwells.

So I completed this today and it looks great.
However, I have small issue.
HVAC far right knob is not illuminated same as the rest of it.
Same goes for area around gas tank gauges in cluster.

I tried to put different LED and it would not change anything.
Here are pictures to show what I'm talking about although it doesn't look as bad in pictures as in person.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

IMG_20200124_213220.jpg

IMG_20200124_213154.jpg

Did you try flipping them around and reinserting? I had to pull and flip 4 of them. They have to be oriented correctly to function. From the tips section of the OP:

"Remember that the cluster and the rocker switch lights are polar, meaning that they have to be oriented in the correct direction. Make sure you test them before you button everything back up. "

That one on cluster I flipped several times and tried different LED and all that.
I did not think about them being oriented correctly but I would assume in one of those inserts I had it right :)

Knob one can only go in one way right cause LED has a locker on itself?

Did you try flipping them around and reinserting? I had to pull and flip 4 of them. They have to be oriented correctly to function. From the tips section of the OP:

"Remember that the cluster and the rocker switch lights are polar, meaning that they have to be oriented in the correct direction. Make sure you test them before you button everything back up. "
I agree, I had the same problem with my gauges and had to flip a couple. Is it possible to run a jumper wire to test them before you put the cluster back in place?

That one on cluster I flipped several times and tried different LED and all that.
I did not think about them being oriented correctly but I would assume in one of those inserts I had it right :)

Knob one can only go in one way right cause LED has a locker on itself?

You'd be surprised. They're so little (and it was cold out, so numb fingers) that when I was fumbling with them to try and reinsert, I inadvertently put them back in the wrong direction. Literally made 3 separate trips up to kitchen table with the cluster, put everything in then plugged it back in, back upstairs to remove and reinsert. It took some trial and error and a couple times I definitely had them wrong when I thought I'd fixed them.

• Wow
Reactions: TDB55
Thanks to @nk24 for all this information!

Below you'll find a guide to replacing all the interior lights on your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LED bulbs. There's links to the bulbs you'll need, and you should find it's a pretty straight forward job.

Depending on what model of Jeep you have (i.e. Rubicon, Sport, etc.), you may need more or less bulbs for your rocker switches. I say that because an automatic Rubicon with a hardtop has 4 rocker switches, whereas a Sport model with a manual transmission and no hardtop may only have 1 rocker switch. It just depends on your model and factory options.

Parts Required (1997-2002)

Parts Required (2003-2006)

Tips
  • Rocker switch lights: You'll need 4mm LEDs for the switch light illumination bulbs, and 3mm LEDs for the switch indicators (the lights that come on when you turn the with to the on position). The number you need of each depends on how many your particular model has.
  • If you have a Rubicon model, don't bother trying to replace the axle locker switch unless you're experienced with soldering, as those bulbs require soldering.
  • Remember that the cluster and the rocker switch lights are polar, meaning that they have to be oriented in the correct direction. Make sure you test them before you button everything back up.
  • LED replacements are much brighter than the stock bulbs. If you're going to do one switch with LED, I would recommend doing them all.
  • There are a few differences for the '97-'02 models. Cluster and rocker switches are the same as above. There is only one light in the soundbar, and that is the same as the footwells/shifter as shown above. There is a separate light in the rear of the hard top, and that is the same as the lights in the sound pods as shown above.
Looking to do this on my 06 unlimited but my only hold-up is losing the dimming function for the instrument panel... did you retain that function with the leds? Thanks!

Looking to do this on my 06 unlimited but my only hold-up is losing the dimming function for the instrument panel... did you retain that function with the leds? Thanks!

I didn't lose the dimming function on my instrument panel when I switched to LEDs.