Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Viking Jeeper, they weren't too bright?
Brighter than ideal for me but I like dim dash lights, comes from flying around the carrier. I dont drive at night much and always use the second to dimmest setting. If I dim the dash light all the way my double DIN Sony stereo starts a disco show for me.

Brighter than ideal for me but I like dim dash lights, comes from flying around the carrier. I dont drive at night much and always use the second to dimmest setting. If I dim the dash light all the way my double DIN Sony stereo starts a disco show for me.
I know what you mean. I can't drive with a bright dash either. Too many night shifts driving and didn't like being distracted by the dash lights. That's weird about your radio. Thank you!

FYI - the warm white are the correctish color for the HVAC controls. Bright white or neutral daylight shine through as too blue for me. The warm are more like the expected greenish TJ tint.

I hate to bring up an old thread but I e replaced every bulb with led inside and outside and I also replaced the flasher for the turn signals, but now whenever my headlights are off my odometer and shift selector flash and my radio lights flicker with the turn signals but if I turn on my running lights or headlights it stops.any ideas?

I hate to bring up an old thread but I e replaced every bulb with led inside and outside and I also replaced the flasher for the turn signals, but now whenever my headlights are off my odometer and shift selector flash and my radio lights flicker with the turn signals but if I turn on my running lights or headlights it stops.any ideas?
Put the incandescent bulbs back in the front side marker lamps.

Reactions: TDB55
It has to do with the floating ground on those bulbs. It only take a few minutes to switch them back for testing. Before you switch them check to see if the side marker lamps flash with the running lights off as well as on

I couldn’t get leds to work right in either the front side marker lights or the front facing turn signals. I had similar results as you. I put regular incandescent bulbs in all four and everything went back to normal.

I do have the LED relay in the steering column. The one that comes with the Quadratec LED tail lights. LM470, if I remember correctly.

It has to do with the floating ground on those bulbs. It only take a few minutes to switch them back for testing. Before you switch them check to see if the side marker lamps flash with the running lights off as well as on.
Tried the incandescent side markers and same result.

They flash when the headlights or running lights are off but not when they’re on
If you were to pull the LED's rotate them 180 degrees and re-instert them they will work with headlights or running lights on but not off. It took me a while to understand what people mean by "floating ground". Essentially the ground and hot wires in those sockets switch with the headlights on or off. LED's can only be inserted one way to work. But since the polarity switches with the headlight switch they work half of the time and not the other.

If you were to pull the LED's rotate them 180 degrees and re-instert them they will work with headlights or running lights on but not off. It took me a while to understand what people mean by "floating ground". Essentially the ground and hot wires in those sockets switch with the headlights on or off. LED's can only be inserted one way to work. But since the polarity switches with the headlight switch they work half of the time and not the other.
That’s makes sense, I ended up removing the side markers completely and it works perfect

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
All five bulbs in the cluster are the same. You don't need to change the high beam or turn signal lights. See below:

View attachment 37173

Your cluster version may vary from this slightly, but the positions of the bulbs are the same.

The bulbs referenced above do not come with housings as you will reuse the existing 1/4 turn housing. Superbrightleds.com does now carry bulbs that include the housing as well (https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/709/). I haven't used them, but they only have one SMD (emitter) whereas the bulbs referenced above have three SMD. I would assume the bulbs with three emitters produce a bit more light.
How do these hold up over time. I am replacing my leds after about a year of doing an led swap where the leds go out or flicker after a while and of course don't dim either. Do these dim?

LEDs should last a very long time. That’s odd that yours didn’t. The bulbs I got from superbrightleds are dimmable. Not as much as the stock incandescents, but still dimmable.

Just ordered my cluster, floor/shifter, and hvac. I'm looking forward to swapping these in and writing a review. Thanks for the links @nk24

Reactions: nk24
Really happy with how these turned out and thanks again to this thread. I'm always trying to maintain a stock look as much as possible and the natural white was a great choice for that. Accidentally ordered cool white for shifter but I'm into it.

View attachment 133085View attachment 133083

View attachment 133084
@Not_Invented_Here_

That really looks great. You said you ordered cool white accidentally for the shifter. Do you remember which one you used for the HVAC panel? Wondering if it's cool like the shifter or natural like the instrument cluster?

Last edited: