Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Anyone have a no start, like a clutch safety switch, after installing an EP27 flasher (5 prong)? Starts fine if I put the old 5 prong back in, so must be related somehow. 2000 tj, 5 speed trans.

@ZeroFlocksGiven, you would almost certainly get more responses if you created a new thread for your question. About the only people who will see this post are those who had replied in the original thread.
My first thought would be an bad or incorrect flasher.
Best of luck.

View attachment 38217

As hard as I tried, the camera just couldn't get a good photo. It looks so much better than factory though. The lights are much more green, and the Rubicon locker switch I put a red LED bulb in (so it looks red like factory) and it turned out great too!

It's not as blindingly bright in person as the photo make it seem. I also have the dimmer set to max in this photo, so that might be part of it too.
I want that same green. What is the name of that LED, size, and where you bought them?

For some reason in mine 06 LJR the 194 doesn' fit in the housing for the shifter light
I know how old this comment is, but his is for anyone looking at this in the future.

The shifter bulb is indeed a 194, however its often confused for a 168. They look identical, but the 168 is a higher wattage, and thus runs hotter. This causes the plastic around the bulb to often melt and shrink ever so slightly over time, and when it comes time to replace the bulb again, it wont fit right and in some cases ha a hard time coming out.

a small file, or some trimming with an Exacto knife will allow the new bulb to fit easily, just make sure its a 194 or an led.

Since I just bought a new to me 2004 Rubicon, I decided to do this mod again. I also wanted to verify that everything I said above was correct.

Here are some photos for the lights in the rocker switches. Once you pull out the frame for the switches (and power outlets), you'll see this:

View attachment 32888

To get to the main switch light, you need to pull each switch from the frame. It is much easier to do if you unplug each of the switches and outlets. There are clips on both top and bottom. Pry the clips carefully with a very small flat screwdriver or a thin trim removal tool. Be very careful as these clips are easy to break. Once you get a switch out, you'll see this:

View attachment 32889

On the bottom is the main switch light bulb. This bulb is illuminated any time the parking lights or headlights are on. Turn the bulb a 1/4 turn with pliers or a very small screwdriver to remove. The replacement light on the bottom is the 4mm (from post #2).

I made a mistake in my earlier post that the bottom and top bulbs are the same. Unfortunately, the top light (for the indicator) is a different bulb and I'm not sure what size it is. My best guess would be a 3mm size in the same style as the 4mm bulbs.

View attachment 32890

As you can see from the first photo, the indicator bulbs are accessible without removing the switches from the frame.

If you have a Rubicon model, the Axle Lock switch is a tougher one to swap to LED. The inside of the switch looks like this:

View attachment 32891

I didn't attempt to swap these bulbs, as it appears there would need to be some soldering. I'm sure someone with the right expertise would have no problem.

The finished product:

View attachment 32892

View attachment 32893

View attachment 32894

You can see that the Axle Lock switch is a touch dim compared to the other switches (since I didn't swap it), but it isn't drastically different. I can definitely live with it. Also, I wanted to show the indicator light on the rear defrost switch because I didn't change that one either and it still looks pretty good. I'd be curious to see how bright it is with an LED if someone were to determine the bulb.
Did you just use white LEDs for the HVAC controls?

Is there a way to get the odometer to match the color of everything else? I feel like I’ve seen this done somewhere on here but not sure how

image.jpg

The lights in my cluster are terrible, they are dark blue and dim. Even with the brightness all the way up I can't read the gauges at night. I just ordered the LED bulbs to replace them. How difficult is it to remove the cluster to get to the bulbs?

The lights in my cluster are terrible, they are dark blue and dim. Even with the brightness all the way up I can't read the gauges at night. I just ordered the LED bulbs to replace them. How difficult is it to remove the cluster to get to the bulbs?
This project takes like 45 mins, tops, if you’re replacing every single interior light.

The cluster is relatively easy. Just pop off the lower cover (under the wheel), pop off the defrost cover (by the windshield), and then it’s like 4 screws to get the cluster out, and you can just unplug the cluster.

This project takes like 45 mins, tops, if you’re replacing every single interior light.

The cluster is relatively easy. Just pop off the lower cover (under the wheel), pop off the defrost cover (by the windshield), and then it’s like 4 screws to get the cluster out, and you can just unplug the cluster.
Thanks! The bulbs came yesterday and I swapped them all out in about 30 minutes. The best part is that I can now clearly see my gauges at night.

Well, I wasted $13 ordering a kit from Chyna, the last several I've ordered worked perfectly (for various vehicles), this one did not...

I broke down and ordered the LED's from SuperBrightLEDs.com as referenced in the OP, plus using code memday21 I got an extra 15% off.

Is there any way to get rid of the blue hue that the HVAC controls have? I would love to be able to have everything cool white.

Is there any way to get rid of the blue hue that the HVAC controls have? I would love to be able to have everything cool white.
When I replaced my stock bulbs to cool white LEDs from Superbrightleds.com, they didn’t look bluish anymore.

I’ve since replaced all bulbs with green.

Here's what the HVAC controls and switches look like with cool white LED. The cool white inherently has a hint of blue to it.

led2.jpg

When I replaced my stock bulbs to cool white LEDs from Superbrightleds.com, they didn’t look bluish anymore.

I’ve since replaced all bulbs with green.

I take that back, I just looked at this picture I took when I had cool whites in there and they are bluer than I remember.

IMG_0780.JPG

The green I have now overrides the blueish color.

IMG_7691.JPG