Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

I got the LEDs from Super Bright LEDs that were linked in this thread. I got the blue ones, and they are really, well, blue! So blue they make the old ones look green, and the radio is green. Has anyone tried the green ones and do they match OEM better?

I got the LEDs from Super Bright LEDs that were linked in this thread. I got the blue ones, and they are really, well, blue! So blue they make the old ones look green, and the radio is green. Has anyone tried the green ones and do they match OEM better?

Warm white is probably the closest you’ll get to the OEM. I haven’t tried green but they’re probably too green.

I did my whole interior with the superbright leds. Went with natural white. Nice and crisp without being overwhelming. Warm white seemed to have a yellow hue and cool white felt a bit over the top for my liking... almosta slight blueish hue.

I have green and like it a lot. Easy on the eyes. Some are from Superbright LEDs, and some from Amazon. I don’t remember which ones though. I‘ve never had an OEM radio in it, so I can’t compare that part of it.

D1188FBF-B43B-40E2-B3F4-F4ABEA6883D3.jpeg

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Question for you guys with the LEDs, are they dimmable? Do they respond like the factory lights?

Question for you guys with the LEDs, are they dimmable? Do they respond like the factory lights?

Mine dim but not enough. Flying military aircraft at night made me a huge fan of dark gauges, makes your outside vision more effective. I also get a weird flash randomly on my double DIN radio screen if I am dimmed all the way. One notch brighter and all is well. Same radio did the very same thing in the TJ before I got the LJ.

Reactions: BlueC
I found the same, they don't dim down quite enough for night driving. On my Superduty I have some LED backlit gauges and they came with a potentiometer that you could set so that the LEDs dimming rate would match that of the factory lighting, could probably rig something up like that. Once you set it you don't need to mess with it again so it can be tucked up under the dash. I wanted the original lighting but could not find the incandescent bulbs with the blue caps on them

Wanna do this mod but one question. List says instrument cluster takes 5 bulbs. See below highlighted in yellow.

What about all the other bulbs circled/highlighted in green? Are they even bulbs? For example the turn signals (below). Are they separate bulbs? Can someone help me clarify?

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 11.21.51 PM.png

Reactions: rdtbull
I changed my high beam indicator to cool white led on my ‘06 and it was annoying bright. Ended up finding a lower lumen led (possibly soft white or similar, I can’t remember) to tone it down some. I didn’t mess with the rest.

Wanna do this mod but one question. List says instrument cluster takes 5 bulbs. See below highlighted in yellow.

What about all the other bulbs circled/highlighted in green? Are they even bulbs? For example the turn signals (below). Are they separate bulbs? Can someone help me clarify?

View attachment 433473

The five bulbs are for the backlight of the cluster. all the others are indicator/warning lights. I changed only the backlight. Left everything else the same except for removing the upshift light.

But what size are the other bulbs?

I think the (5) yellow backlights are 194 bulbs and the other green indicator lights are PC74 bulbs. Both are available in LED versions now. However, the PC74s are generally not replaced because incandescent bulbs have a fairly reliable lifetime in hours, and since the indicator lights don't light up very often, they almost never burn out. On the other hand, the backlights are on whenever your headlights are on, so they do burn out eventually.

Hello Chris,

Great write up, very helpful.

I've got a 1997 Sahara TJ and the lights have never been replaced and the footwell 194s do not fit because I have these...

1695419563438.png

I can't find an LED housing that will fit in that socket. Anyone know if there is an adapter or something?

Thanks!

Hello Chris,

Great write up, very helpful.

I've got a 1997 Sahara TJ and the lights have never been replaced and the footwell 194s do not fit because I have these...

View attachment 459714

I can't find an LED housing that will fit in that socket. Anyone know if there is an adapter or something?

Thanks!

Those are bayonet base. I have them in my 2000. The previous owner installed them so I don't know the brand but if you want I will go look later to see if there is anything printed on them. I do know that they are very white, probably 5 or 6000K. The bayonet lamps will have your base with a tower that has little square LEDs attached to it.

Reactions: MountaineerTom