Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

"pre-1998" ? Mine is a 1998.
Perhaps some point in the middle of the year, they changed. Not sure. Thanks for putting all of this together. I now think that I need to figure out a different rheostat to allow dimming of the dash lights. They might be too bright.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Just thought I would throw in my results since I decided to go with “warm white” and no one else has a photo.
20155262-900C-45E4-B5DF-6F48374221F8.jpeg

A43248B1-E3F0-432C-AA27-585B93100E8C.jpeg

The color is pretty much spot on with stock, just much brighter. My only thing is that the HVAC symbols came out more a whiteish-blue than the original color that matched with everything else. Which is weird because the LEDs are the exact same color as the bulbs I pulled out.

Has anyone figured out a way to dim the dash lights? They are a bit too bright for me. I like the color and the crispness and the low heat and....you get the picture, but they are just a bit too bright at night. I was thinking that I could put something over them to "filter" the light a bit. Not sure what.

Has anyone figured out a way to dim the dash lights? They are a bit too bright for me. I like the color and the crispness and the low heat and....you get the picture, but they are just a bit too bright at night. I was thinking that I could put something over them to "filter" the light a bit. Not sure what.
The dimmer switch on the stalk works well in my 2004. I will say that it didn’t dim them nearly as much in my previous 2000 on the pull switch lever.

Uhh, right. You turn the knob, but since LEDs draw way less power, they are a lot brighter and the factory reostat doesn't go down low enough to get the bulbs as dim as I would like.

I have a bad connection on my 06 factory fog light switch (the left hand side multi function pull switch). I don't have any lights running to the switch anymore. The dash fog indicator blinks and reads that the switch is on even when it's not.

Anyone know how to disable or disconnect it?

I have a bad connection on my 06 factory fog light switch (the left hand side multi function pull switch). I don't have any lights running to the switch anymore. The dash fog indicator blinks and reads that the switch is on even when it's not.

Anyone know how to disable or disconnect it?
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...og-lights-fog-lights-that-wont-turn-off.3697/

You’ll likely need to repair the switch. See the link above. It is a very common issue.

I too just replaced the following with this thread:

Cluster
Sound Bar
Footwells (Actually left the light covers off to provide more light)
Hard Top Light
HVAC Lights

Thanks for all the info @Chris.

Reactions: Chris
Just finished installing the blue led interior lights if anyone is curious what the blue looks like, here are some pics. The blue shows up a bit blurry and blinding in the camera but looks great in the TJ. Thanks @Chris for this thread, very pleased with the outcome!

View attachment 72684
View attachment 72685
View attachment 72686
Coolio! So I just bought my first jeep last month (2000 wrangler), and honestly it's my dream car! I love driving it and working on it. I want to install some lights where the footrest is. Just like yours...is there a guide or thread that you can put me on the right track. Where is the bulb located for this particular mod? Thx

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
Coolio! So I just bought my first jeep last month (2000 wrangler), and honestly it's my dream car! I love driving it and working on it. I want to install some lights where the footrest is. Just like yours...is there a guide or thread that you can put me on the right track. Where is the bulb located for this particular mod? Thx
If youre wanting to light up your footwells while driving then some led light strips may be the way to go (which I have although they were not on in my previous pic). I bought mine from autozone for around $25.

If you’re asking where the footwell light is to replace with an led, look at the attached image. It’s simply held on with a screw.
9697937C-591A-450F-BCC7-8269D0894520.jpeg

If youre wanting to light up your footwells while driving then some led light strips may be the way to go (which I have although they were not on in my previous pic). I bought mine from autozone for around $25.

If you’re asking where the footwell light is to replace with an led, look at the attached image. It’s simply held on with a screw.
View attachment 72864
thanks a ton! we'll be ordering some led strips as well a bulb to change the light

Reactions: Cornbread
Hey guy's, I just want to change my foot wells, and maybe my dome light. Was wondering if these will do the trick? I saw in the main post that what was linked for foot wells were 194 5SMD. The purple ones I found are 194 18SMD. I have not clue on what all that means, just need to know if it will work, if not, what purple ones should I get? :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQCNNJ9/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hey guy's, I just want to change my foot wells, and maybe my dome light. Was wondering if these will do the trick? I saw in the main post that what was linked for foot wells were 194 5SMD. The purple ones I found are 194 18SMD. I have not clue on what all that means, just need to know if it will work, if not, what purple ones should I get? :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQCNNJ9/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The "SMD" portion of the description is how many LED panels are on the fixture. 5 panels vs 18 panels.

The 18SMD should fit as it is the same length as the 5SMD according to the dimensions. However, it looks like the 18SMD might be mono-directional, meaning it will only put out light in one direction. That would be fine for the dome lights, but I think it could make the footwells look strange because of the orientation of the footwell receptacle. However, I do see that they are polar, meaning that they have to be inserted in a specific direction in order to work properly.

Edit: since they are 18SMD, that means they have panels on both sides. Should be good to go!